The Student Room Group

Realistically, will my GCSE's hinder me?

Hey,
I would like to go to a GOOD university to study Law in 2015... I'm hoping to get AABB at AS and hopefully all A's at A2. I'm doing English Literature, Geography, Psychology and History. But I was told I might not be able to go to the uni i want to go to because of my GCSE results... I got 7A's and 3B's.. I don't really know who else to ask... so does anyone know if they will stop me going to a good Uni?
Thanks.
Nope, they're fine.
Original post by bbbtsr
Hey,
I would like to go to a GOOD university to study Law in 2015... I'm hoping to get AABB at AS and hopefully all A's at A2. I'm doing English Literature, Geography, Psychology and History. But I was told I might not be able to go to the uni i want to go to because of my GCSE results... I got 7A's and 3B's.. I don't really know who else to ask... so does anyone know if they will stop me going to a good Uni?
Thanks.

Bs and above are great.

They will go more on your predictions and personal statement :yep:

you should be fine :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
You're GCSE Results are really good, seriously nearly straight A's you got, the average are D's ..... Go figure!
Original post by bbbtsr
Hey,
Thanks.

At Oxbridge/UCL/LSE etc you may have trouble competing, but if your AS grades are good then it should be fine. Don't get me wrong - your GCSE's are good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I didn't do brilliantly at GCSE, I did worse than you and I attend one of the top ten law schools in the country. So defo shouldn't hinder you
Reply 6
Depends which universities. Can you give a few examples?
Reply 7
i think your gcses are great. but as someone has said unis like UCL/LSE are very competitive so it won't be easy getting into those.

but it may also depend on what secondary school you went to i.e. state or private. I went to a bog standard state secondary and got grades similar to you. but compared to the average in my school or even to other state schools in my area I did really well, in fact above average, so I think this was looked upon quite highly, whereas if you went to a private school, where people regularly achieve 9A*s, then our grades aren't great compared to them! I was told that unis do take into account the state or private education of applicants so they can get a good mix of students, and to meet targets. But it would be great if someone could tell me if this was true.

But either way be proud, you've done well. Good luck
Reply 8
Original post by day_dreamer
i think your gcses are great. but as someone has said unis like UCL/LSE are very competitive so it won't be easy getting into those.

but it may also depend on what secondary school you went to i.e. state or private. I went to a bog standard state secondary and got grades similar to you. but compared to the average in my school or even to other state schools in my area I did really well, in fact above average, so I think this was looked upon quite highly, whereas if you went to a private school, where people regularly achieve 9A*s, then our grades aren't great compared to them! I was told that unis do take into account the state or private education of applicants so they can get a good mix of students, and to meet targets. But it would be great if someone could tell me if this was true.

But either way be proud, you've done well. Good luck

I was thinking about UCL at one point but then realised I probably won't be able to get in haha. I went to a state school, which is one of the four worst schools in my area according to ofsted. It only has a 33% pass rate A*-C!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending