The Student Room Group

Starting work at Primark

Hi, sorry to bother anyone, but I'll be attending two induction days tomorrow and Thursday at Primark and would just like some info on what to expect from people have done the same?

Also, they have put me on the 6PM - 10PM Shifts (20 hrs pw) and I was wondering whether I would get payed more as its in the night? I can't remember exactly what the lady said in the interview but she said the pay was around £5.37 but she didn't state whether that was for both positions, as I was being interviewed for this one and a 2PM - 4PM one.

Thanks for ANY help or info you can give, it's much appreciated.
Reply 1
5.37 is quite low considering your working late, in my experience though you don't get any more pay unless it is "unsocial hours" i.e. when everyone else is in bed or off work resting I think around 00:00 - 07:00

Again I could be mistaken but this is just my experience from having a few jobs in my past, hope this doesn't discourage you though, congrats on getting a job! many people of your age are not so lucky (assuming your under 21 due to hourly rate)

Good luck!
Ive worked for Primark for 2 and a half years so can answer any questions you may have. With that shift you won't be paid any extra I'm afraid. But £5 is very low. Im on £7.36 and work until 10 also. Its probably your age and the location of the store.

In your induction they will just take you through routine health and safety. Get you familiar with the store, the layout and the role. Its nothing to be afraid of so good luck
Reply 3
Thanks guys, also wondering about references on the Employee Reference form. I can only put down 1 previous employer as it's the only one I've had and 2 personal, would that be okay? The 2 personal is a close family friend that has known me for years and the other is my employment advisor from TBG Learning
Original post by dhowell93
Thanks guys, also wondering about references on the Employee Reference form. I can only put down 1 previous employer as it's the only one I've had and 2 personal, would that be okay? The 2 personal is a close family friend that has known me for years and the other is my employment advisor from TBG Learning

yeah that's fine to have 2 personal! but if your in uni/school/college you can get a tutor to give reference as well:smile: for my references i gave a personal, a previous employer and my tutor.

the inductions are surprisingly interesting, especially if it's with a big group. My induction was with 8 other people and they made it fun, we had to play games to remember each others names and role play customers etc. apart from that, you get a tour of the stock room and the actual store. also, there's a powerpoint that lasts 2 or so hours that just has basic info on: how to dress correctly, how to deliver good customer service, what to do in case of an emergency etc.

good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by waifandwaiting
yeah that's fine to have 2 personal! but if your in uni/school/college you can get a tutor to give reference as well:smile: for my references i gave a personal, a previous employer and my tutor.

the inductions are surprisingly interesting, especially if it's with a big group. My induction was with 8 other people and they made it fun, we had to play games to remember each others names and role play customers etc. apart from that, you get a tour of the stock room and the actual store. also, there's a powerpoint that lasts 2 or so hours that just has basic info on: how to dress correctly, how to deliver good customer service, what to do in case of an emergency etc.

good luck!

I was wondering if you could tell me about the dress code, ect. Can you wear your hair down (girl), what about nail varnish? What type of shoes? Make-up?
Sorry that it's kind of random. I have my interview on Monday and I just wanted to know what to expect if I get the job!
I worked with Primark for 6 months before going off to university.

My training consisted of an induction morning where we went through the staff handbook, answered a quiz (from what I remember) then we were till trained.
Original post by Bethan1995
I was wondering if you could tell me about the dress code, ect. Can you wear your hair down (girl), what about nail varnish? What type of shoes? Make-up?
Sorry that it's kind of random. I have my interview on Monday and I just wanted to know what to expect if I get the job!

The dress code is all black - Black shirt can be either long/short sleeve and a black pencil skirt or black trousers. Yes, you can wear your hair down. Nail varnish was a no-no at my store, however most girls wore it anyway. Girls tended to wear vans/plimsoll type shoes because it can get very tiring walking up and down frequently, but I think the policy was to wear black flats that had no designs on the front e.g. bow-ties. You can wear a moderate amount of make up, nothing too much/fancy.
Reply 8
Original post by chicforever_
The dress code is all black - Black shirt can be either long/short sleeve and a black pencil skirt or black trousers. Yes, you can wear your hair down. Nail varnish was a no-no at my store, however most girls wore it anyway. Girls tended to wear vans/plimsoll type shoes because it can get very tiring walking up and down frequently, but I think the policy was to wear black flats that had no designs on the front e.g. bow-ties. You can wear a moderate amount of make up, nothing too much/fancy.

Thankyou very much for your comprehensive answer! Do you think these items will be professional enough? (induction and for the duration of my employment)

I was going to buy the following items:
Shirt: http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/v-london-black-roll-sleeve-shirt_314657701
Trousers: http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3823606
Shoes: http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-MOLLY-T-Bar-Flat-Shoes/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3562447&cid=4172&Rf-300=1853&Rf-200=4&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=204&sort=3&clr=Black
He said smart flats and strongly suggested dolly shoes but I can't wear them due to an injury, I need upper-foot support.

Many thanks!
I see you are going to get very far in life hope you get to be a supervisor at primark in Bradford I hear you get payed 2 packets of crisps a week so it's really good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bethan1995
Thankyou very much for your comprehensive answer! Do you think these items will be professional enough? (induction and for the duration of my employment)

I was going to buy the following items:
Shirt: http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/v-london-black-roll-sleeve-shirt_314657701
Trousers: http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3823606
Shoes: http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-MOLLY-T-Bar-Flat-Shoes/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3562447&cid=4172&Rf-300=1853&Rf-200=4&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=204&sort=3&clr=Black
He said smart flats and strongly suggested dolly shoes but I can't wear them due to an injury, I need upper-foot support.

Many thanks!

All looks fine to me! :smile: Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by chicforever_
All looks fine to me! :smile: Good luck!

Thank you for your help!!
Reply 12
hey all :-) i also have a primark interview coming up. for the new store in cardiff. any1 wish to share any hints&tips? :-) ive apploed for 'days' however i would very much like to work 5pm onwards until 10pm. does any1 now if this is an option in the new cardiff primark store??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending