The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Hey, there I'm an Erasmus student from Austria... :)

I'll grace Manchester with my presence in the winter term 2014/15 :-P Could somebody help me find a reasonably good hall or room from Sept -Jan? We've got a completely different flat share system down here in Austria. I pay 450 Euros too but I got a 20 qm room :smile:. I'm a little confused about everything on the internet about halls, private halls, land lords and other stuff :wink:. Also, a girlfriend wants to visit me maybe for 10 days during my stay and I don't know if this is even possible in the student halls?! Can somebody tell me details about some of the halls? Can friends sleep in your room? How about student life? Would you show me around? Cheerio and thx in advance, Stefanie
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by StefanieAustria
I'll grace Manchester with my presence in the winter term 2014/15 :-P Could somebody help me find a reasonably good hall or room from Sept -Jan? We've got a completely different flat share system down here in Austria. I pay 450 Euros too but I got a 20 qm room :smile:. I'm a little confused about everything on the internet about halls, private halls, land lords and other stuff :wink:. Also, a girlfriend wants to visit me maybe for 10 days during my stay and I don't know if this is even possible in the student halls?! Can somebody tell me details about some of the halls? Can friends sleep in your room? How about student life? Would you show me around? Cheerio and thx in advance, Stefanie

Hi Stefanie,

I'd recommend going into university halls, on the grounds that
- the university is a good landlord, and there are many dreadful private landlords out there who will probably try and rip you off because you don't understand the law and are therefore vulnerable.
- the university will give you a place for only one semester, whereas trying to find a room in a shared house for only one term is almost impossible (beware anyone who says that you can just find a replacement tenant to get out of the contract - in reality, replacement tenants are almost impossible to find, and so you would have to pay a whole year's rent
- halls include bills, whereas shared houses don't

There's lots of info about uni halls here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

Theoretically you're not allowed overnight guests for more than two nights in 7, but in reality this is completely unenforced. However, you'll only have a single bed.

Student life is pretty good :yep: and I'm afraid I can't show you around as I'll have graduated by then! However, you'll be able to come along to Orientation to help you settle in :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending