The Student Room Group

my ex constantly says 'I just want you to be happy'

WHY?
She tells me she can't be wiyh me due to her parents and culture

When we hang out she mostly tries to mske things as fun as possible make me laugh etc.

Almost everything is the same (I still walk her home when it's dark) just no kisses, no ILY

Then she ignores me for a few days
finally checks i'm alright

Constantly refers to things I do as 'aww that's sweet' 'awe bless' 'aww that's cute'
Sometimes jokingly refers to me as her 'little baby' (she's a year younger than me)
This is psychologically damaging

Does keep me updated sbput her friends family studies etc
always says 'i just want you to be happy'
WhAt THE HELL IS GOING ON

Scroll to see replies

Mate, I realize you have some issues, but seriously its time to get a grip, cut contact, and stop posting threads about the same issue every 48 hours. The only way you'll move on is no contact. That's what you need to do. That's what another 50 people will tell you in here, but you'll just repeat the same stuff to them, and be back with a new thread on Tuesday.

I feel bad for the situation you're in and realize you're finding it hard to let go, but do you not see that all of this is just influencing your life in a negative way, there's nothing positive about it at all...just use some common sense and walk away.
Reply 2
She's trying not to hurt your feelings by hanging out and being nice but it doesn't work like that, to get over someone you have to cut contact. And like Elpistolero7 said, you've got some issues but get a grip and stop posting threads. You need her out of your life and to move on! Spend some time with other friends, do fun things and keep your mind off her.
Reply 3
she obviously cares about your wellbeing etc. but doesn't want you as a bf. its not that difficult to work out
Reply 4
Original post by rachiriot
She's trying not to hurt your feelings by hanging out and being nice but it doesn't work like that, to get over someone you have to cut contact. And like Elpistolero7 said, you've got some issues but get a grip and stop posting threads. You need her out of your life and to move on! Spend some time with other friends, do fun things and keep your mind off her.

She says things like 'i thought you'd hate me now'

She's a really old friend that's what makes it so hard to say goodbye for good
Reply 5
Original post by elpistolero7
Mate, I realize you have some issues, but seriously its time to get a grip, cut contact, and stop posting threads about the same issue every 48 hours. The only way you'll move on is no contact. That's what you need to do. That's what another 50 people will tell you in here, but you'll just repeat the same stuff to them, and be back with a new thread on Tuesday.

I feel bad for the situation you're in and realize you're finding it hard to let go, but do you not see that all of this is just influencing your life in a negative way, there's nothing positive about it at all...just use some common sense and walk away.

But some.days we hang out arw good! Like Friday
today was a good day with her until i started feeling inferior/likw her littlw brother and went quiet/awkward
Reply 6
Original post by Riku
She says things like 'i thought you'd hate me now'

She's a really old friend that's what makes it so hard to say goodbye for good

She obviously still cares for you but not as anything more than just friends. You've gotta bite the bullet here and cut contact. In a couple of months time you'll feel better for it, and it won't be goodbye for good. In time, you'll get over her and you may very well be able to build a friendship with her again. You're obviously not happy right now, I've been in your situation and it sucks, one of the worst feelings ever. You don't want to go on like this. Arrange to do something fun with your friends, go on a weekend away or something, stop talking to her and get over it. Obsessing over it isn't healthy and is clearly making you sad.
Original post by Riku
But some.days we hang out arw good! Like Friday
today was a good day with her until i started feeling inferior/likw her littlw brother and went quiet/awkward

Don't know what to say to you mate. There's clearly no hope of a romance rekindling as you've stated multiple times. Then there's the fact that you probably won't see her again after a few months. Logic would suggest that if you're being driven nuts thinking about her and where her head is at, that you'd give yourself some space from her, especially since you haven't had that little, and highly recommended phase of no contact after the breakup.

Anyhow, take it or leave it. I wish you the best man, I hope you sort your issues out in the near future.
Reply 8
She obviously still cares for you but not as anything more than just friends. You've gotta bite the bullet here and cut contact. In a couple of months time you'll feel better for it, and it won't be goodbye for good. In time, you'll get over her and you may very well be able to build a friendship with her again. You're obviously not happy right now, I've been in your situation and it sucks, one of the worst feelings ever. You don't want to go on like this. Arrange to do something fun with your friends, go on a weekend away or something, stop talking to her and get over it. Obsessing over it isn't healthy and is clearly making you sad.

How do I know it won't be goodbye for good?
I hadn't seen or heard from her aince yr 12. Yr 14 I bumpwd into her on campus, nwvwe thought I would.again
now I knkw why, controllingnAsian parents!

I don't see why she thinks being friends with me will help? She almost called it quits herself on fri. Then bottled out at the last min, ran up to me and hugged me as i walked away,saying 'why were you walking away?' (She went down steps to right i went to the left. I was conaidering juat walking away there and then)
Reply 9
Original post by elpistolero7
Don't know what to say to you mate. There's clearly no hope of a romance rekindling as you've stated multiple times. Then there's the fact that you probably won't see her again after a few months. Logic would suggest that if you're being driven nuts thinking about her and where her head is at, that you'd give yourself some space from her, especially since you haven't had that little, and highly recommended phase of no contact after the breakup.

Anyhow, take it or leave it. I wish you the best man, I hope you sort your issues out in the near future.

How long for NC? I have 8 weeks for finals, after that I may go to camp.america for.summer, and then hopefully graduate
we omly ever got to meet on campus. This will be the end of a goos friendship too possibly

I miss our romance but it's all the feelings of inferiority/mind reading/doubts/emasculation/lack of trust/waiting for the new giy that hurts more

and she winders why I go into my 'moods' (she helped me with my worrying)

Cheer dude :-)
Original post by Riku
WHY?
She tells me she can't be wiyh me due to her parents and culture

When we hang out she mostly tries to mske things as fun as possible make me laugh etc.

Almost everything is the same (I still walk her home when it's dark) just no kisses, no ILY

Then she ignores me for a few days
finally checks i'm alright

Constantly refers to things I do as 'aww that's sweet' 'awe bless' 'aww that's cute'
Sometimes jokingly refers to me as her 'little baby' (she's a year younger than me)
This is psychologically damaging

Does keep me updated sbput her friends family studies etc
always says 'i just want you to be happy'
WhAt THE HELL IS GOING ON

You are thinking too much. Just because she's acting that way doesn't mean that she is trying to tell you something. Maybe she just wants to be your friend and trying ways not to make it too awkward.

Take my advice or leave it: the best way is to either a) talk to her about it and tell her how you feel about her actions or b) just leave it alone and kindly walk away from your friendship with her.
Lol go poo in her letter box
Original post by Riku
How do I know it won't be goodbye for good?
I hadn't seen or heard from her aince yr 12. Yr 14 I bumpwd into her on campus, nwvwe thought I would.again
now I knkw why, controllingnAsian parents!

I don't see why she thinks being friends with me will help? She almost called it quits herself on fri. Then bottled out at the last min, ran up to me and hugged me as i walked away,saying 'why were you walking away?' (She went down steps to right i went to the left. I was conaidering juat walking away there and then)

In a few months, you won't care if you bump into her or not. The girl is driving you insane. It doesn't matter what she thinks anymore because she doesn't want to be with you. It's time to stop thinking about her and start thinking about you. She either doesn't realise the pain it's causing you or doesn't know any better. You can't look into the little things too much because when a girl hurts you to the point she's driving you crazy then you aren't gunna think clearly about it. You don't wanna be with someone that's making you feel like this anyway! You need to move on and have some fun and forget about this girl until the time is right.

Seriously, you'll run into her again, and with social networking, it's easy to drop her a message when the time is right. You won't care though. I know someone who travelled to the other side of the world and ran into an old friend! It happens! Don't waste your time with her, definitely not worth it.
Reply 13
Original post by zero_Gravity91
You are thinking too much. Just because she's acting that way doesn't mean that she is trying to tell you something. Maybe she just wants to be your friend and trying ways not to make it too awkward.

Take my advice or leave it: the best way is to either a) talk to her about it and tell her how you feel about her actions or b) just leave it alone and kindly walk away from your friendship with her.

Yeah, I texted her that I felt disrespected.by the baby jokes and itbwas ****ing with my head. I got grumpy.about it on the bus today and she picked up on my mood swing because over time she got fed up of trying tk cheer me up. This despite initoally saying she was glad I came to support her re festival
so i am hoping that will explain my mood!

As for the insecurities, idk. She helps me overcome them with encouragement even now, while simultaneously creating them with her various.skills!
Also she's good at covering the impact kf the breakup on her..onky every now and then would she open up about how she's hurting
Reply 14
In a few months, you won't care if you bump into her or not. The girl is driving you insane. It doesn't matter what she thinks anymore because she doesn't want to be with you. It's time to stop thinking about her and start thinking about you. She either doesn't realise the pain it's causing you or doesn't know any better. You can't look into the little things too much because when a girl hurts you to the point she's driving you crazy then you aren't gunna think clearly about it. You don't wanna be with someone that's making you feel like this anyway! You need to move on and have some fun and forget about this girl until the time is right.

Seriously, you'll run into her again, and with social networking, it's easy to drop her a message when the time is right. You won't care though. I know someone who travelled to the other side of the world and ran into an old friend! It happens! Don't waste your time with her, definitely not worth it.

I see your point, but as a good friend, I do care what she thinks.:-S and to lose her from my life would be shiiiit
also she warned me from day 1 it may be better to stay friends due to hwr family/culture etc. So was it an excuse? No way of knowing. Might be genuine

The fact I get jealous when she randomly mentions things like boys she sits next to in her class sending her a joke as well as her other best giy friend Superman, combined with distrust and feeling inadequate auggest I shoild leave
Original post by Riku
Yeah, I texted her that I felt disrespected.by the baby jokes and itbwas ****ing with my head. I got grumpy.about it on the bus today and she picked up on my mood swing because over time she got fed up of trying tk cheer me up. This despite initoally saying she was glad I came to support her re festival
so i am hoping that will explain my mood!

As for the insecurities, idk. She helps me overcome them with encouragement even now, while simultaneously creating them with her various.skills!
Also she's good at covering the impact kf the breakup on her..onky every now and then would she open up about how she's hurting

I don't think that will do anything. You need to tell her in person and not through texting. It isn't really sincere and she might take it the wrong way. It might be more appropriate to email her or call her.

I think you are using her as a building block. Don't rely on her to keep you happy and use other things to keep you happy. There will be one day when she isn't by your side and you will end up miserable than you were. I'm not saying to cut ties with her, but you need to use something else to keep you happy instead of her.

You can console her, but don't put too much effort into it. It's clear that your previous relationship is now over and that you are just friends, so just be yourself and talk to her about it as a friend.
Reply 16
Tell her 'either suck my cock and keep me happy then, or gtfo with your manipulative bs. No need to date as long as you can keep me satisfied'
Reply 17
Original post by samba
Tell her 'either suck my cock and keep me happy then, or gtfo with your manipulative bs. No need to date as long as you can keep me satisfied'

:-P
is she really being manipulative? I think she's confused too
Reply 18
Original post by Riku
:-P
is she really being manipulative? I think she's confused too

Inconsequential whether she is or not. She's probably just massaging her own ego to feel better for dumping you. Seriously just come out with it like that and she'll get the message.
Riku, what advice could you possibly want that you haven't already been given repeatedly?

You need to not talk to her until you are over her. If you never get over her, you need to lose her as a friend. Otherwise it will do you both too much damage in the long-term.

Sooner or later she's going to move on, start dating again, and so on. Do you really want to be around when that happens?

Or: you could get some distance, get your head correct, and when you're ready to see someone else, form a new attachment that isn't marred by jealousy and insecurity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending