The Student Room Group

What can i do with a BEng in Chemical Engineering?

If i can't get onto my master's and i qualify with a BEng, i can't become a chemical Engineer. So what can i be? Can i still go into finance? What else can i do? Do i still have decent prospects. Doubting i can get the grades to stay on my master's :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 4RealBlud
If i can't get onto my master's and i qualify with a BEng, i can't become a chemical Engineer.

who told you that?? They are loads and loads of companies that take on chem engineers with a BEng both in the UK and abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by a10
who told you that?? They are loads and loads of companies that take on chem engineers with a BEng both in the UK and abroad.

Really? I magine their salaries will be nowehere near as high though. Especially since they can't be chartered.
Reply 3
If i can't get onto my master's and i qualify with a BEng, i can't become a chemical Engineer. So what can i be? Can i still go into finance? What else can i do?

you're applying for an MEng at the moment?

there's still pathways to chartered engineering - but you might be able to get an engineering job without it anyway.

apart from that you can apply for any jobs just that are asking for any degree and any jobs asking for a numerate degree.

you could end up being an accountant or a computer programmer... or a stand up comedian etc.
Reply 4
Really? I magine their salaries will be nowehere near as high though. Especially since they can't be chartered.

Of course, sure the salaries may not be as high as they would be if you had a masters but they are still very decent salaries. You can just work your way up (it is still possible to become chartered with a BEng but it obviously takes longer and you would have to check with the IChemE on their requirements).

Have a look at BEng salaries.

http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Degree=Bachelor_of_Engineering_(BEng_%2F_BE),_Chemical_Engineering/Salary

http://www.whynotchemeng.com/wnce_home/Information/Frequently%20asked%20questions.aspx
Reply 5

sounds like you need to basically put less effort into imagining and more into passing your exams tbh.
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
sounds like you need to basically put less effort into imagining and more into passing your exams tbh.

Yh i'm trying to, but i have to be realistic in the liklihood that i may not get enough marks to stay on a master's
You can still get a job as an engineer without the masters, it'll just be a lot harder at the bigger companies that get lots of applicants.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
You can still get a job as an engineer without the masters, it'll just be a lot harder at the bigger companies that get lots of applicants.

Will my degree still be valuable in the buisiness and finance sector? What about if i get work experience as well?
Will my degree still be valuable in the buisiness and finance sector?

I don't know.

What about if i get work experience as well?

Obviously it'll help.
Reply 10
Will my degree still be valuable in the buisiness and finance sector? What about if i get work experience as well?

As a BEng student myself, yes it will be valuable in the business and finance sector, also you can still get chartered but you just need to get a Msc (postgraduate masters) if you don't have an MEng (undergraduate masters) or in some cases it takes longer to get chartered with a masters, I know this from experience while working in industry I met people who got chartered without getting a masters. Also the difference in pay is not that much depending on the companies eg in Exxon a Beng grad gets £37000 while Meng is £38000, you actually get paid more with the more experience you get not fresh out of Uni. Work experience is vital regardless of being a Beng or Meng from what I've been told working in industry companies would rather someone with a Beng + some experience than Meng with no experience but again that depends on the company.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest