The Student Room Group

Women more attracted to men in expensive cars

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamieTT
No, they found the exact same guy more attractive when sitting in the Bentley. Why didn't men care about the car when judging the woman's looks? If anything, guys like cars a lot more than women do.

A. I never denied they were the same guy. I just said generally I'd rather have a nice guy in a **** car than vice versa.
B. Like I said, it's the same way as boobs can get a mans attention-they're associated with attractiveness like the car is associated with wealth. So since your clearly trying to allude to it I'll say some women are attracted to wealth which is probably why they preferred the Bentley guy. The point I'm trying to make is women can be attracted to wealth without it being the be all and end all.
Reply 21
Original post by samba
Wut? the Bentley GT for example is/was pretty much the only car in it's class. Pretty cheap at 100k new but quite luxurious.

It's a '*****' car in the same way any car is. People buy what they can afford. If you're really rich you drive astons/phantoms/maybachs blabla, if you have a few million you drive mercs and bentleys and range rovers. If you have a smaller income you drive lower end mercs and bmws, etc etc etc etc etc

You can't hate on people just for being wealthy :s-smilie:

It isn't a **** car. I just think people who waste their money on cars are stupid. They are for getting you from A to B beyond that safety features are about all that's worth investing in. For the amount of money a Bentley costs you could do so many better things or actually make a difference to a good cause.

I drive a mercedes and I don't have a few million (A class....)

I know plenty of wealthy people who do not waste their money on overly expensive cars.
Reply 22
Original post by toonervoustotalk
You have clearly watched too many hollywood romantic films. Girls dgaf about what car you drive as long as you can drive without killing them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explain the results of the study.
Reply 23
Original post by jamieTT
So why did the women find the Bentley guy more attractive?

Because they obviously interviewed idiots.
Reply 24
Original post by EllieC130
A. I never denied they were the same guy. I just said generally I'd rather have a nice guy in a **** car than vice versa.
B. Like I said, it's the same way as boobs can get a mans attention-they're associated with attractiveness like the car is associated with wealth. So since your clearly trying to allude to it I'll say some women are attracted to wealth which is probably why they preferred the Bentley guy. The point I'm trying to make is women can be attracted to wealth without it being the be all and end all.

Not some, the vast majority in that study.
Reply 25
Original post by redferry
It isn't a **** car. I just think people who waste their money on cars are stupid. They are for getting you from A to B beyond that safety features are about all that's worth investing in. For the amount of money a Bentley costs you could do so many better things or actually make a difference to a good cause.

I drive a mercedes and I don't have a few million (A class....)

I know plenty of wealthy people who do not waste their money on overly expensive cars.

By 'that' sort of merc, I meant the SL600 and stuff. There's a lot of 'accessible' ones, and a lot of non accessible ones to mere mortals like us.

Quite honestly, I don't know anyone with a lot of money, who doesn't have multiple and expensive cars. I also don't see it as 'you might as well donate to a good cause' - you could say the same about nice houses, expensive food, restaurants, etc etc. fs my ex's dad has ordered a new jet for next year because it's a bit faster, despite having one that's perfectly fine as it is.

I just don't see why you're a **** if you drive a nice car lol.
Reply 26
Because they obviously interviewed idiots.

So the women chosen were all idiots for some reason but the men weren't, since they dgaf about the car the woman was sitting in ? Did the scientists do this on purpose?
Reply 27
The Bentley indicates dedication, hard work, responsibility, the ability to provide, a nice life, intelligence, high social standing, etc, etc.

The busted up Ford (most likely) says - Can I borrow a fiver for petrol?
Original post by Steezy
The Bentley indicates dedication, hard work, responsibility, the ability to provide, a nice life, intelligence, high social standing, etc, etc.

The busted up Ford (most likely) says - Can I borrow a fiver for petrol?

I reckon there is an element of this at play.

I don't really see the problem here. We have situation where you're choosing between the same guy only in one scenario he has a nice car, and in another scenario he has a ****ty car. Why wouldn't you pick the nice car scenario? I mean...it would just be stupid to pick the same guy in a ****ty car.
Reply 29
Original post by jamieTT
So the women chosen were all idiots for some reason but the men weren't, since they dgaf about the car the woman was sitting in ? Did the scientists do this on purpose?

Well most men think women are **** drivers anyway so that probably contributed
Reply 30
Original post by samba
By 'that' sort of merc, I meant the SL600 and stuff. There's a lot of 'accessible' ones, and a lot of non accessible ones to mere mortals like us.

Quite honestly, I don't know anyone with a lot of money, who doesn't have multiple and expensive cars. I also don't see it as 'you might as well donate to a good cause' - you could say the same about nice houses, expensive food, restaurants, etc etc. fs my ex's dad has ordered a new jet for next year because it's a bit faster, despite having one that's perfectly fine as it is.

I just don't see why you're a **** if you drive a nice car lol.

I just hate cars and extravogance. Let's leave it at that.
Reply 31
I just hate cars and extravogance. Let's leave it at that.

You are so your daddies little girl aren't you? :biggrin:

Like father like daughter!
Reply 32
Well most men think women are **** drivers anyway so that probably contributed

It's hard to tell when feminists are trolling or being serious. Because it sounds pretty much the same most of the time.
Original post by alow
Bentleys are for cocks though.

I'd take a supercharged Range Rover Sport any day.

Haven driven both, Bentley all day.
Reply 34
Original post by samba
You are so your daddies little girl aren't you? :biggrin:

Like father like daughter!

Yeah I guess you pick up a lot of morals from your parents. When my dads company car was in for repair he got a BMW as a replacement. He called it a hairdressers car and said it was stupid because it cost so much more than its equivalent ford model.

My family just aren't about showing wealth and its pretty looked down upon. Except my mum who just wants to go on constant holidays.

Me, I live off £11000 a year and I'm very happy. I don't see why people need stuff really. Although I would like my own home, that's the one thing. A space to call yours is just nice.
Reply 35
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I reckon there is an element of this at play.

I don't really see the problem here. We have situation where you're choosing between the same guy only in one scenario he has a nice car, and in another scenario he has a ****ty car. Why wouldn't you pick the nice car scenario? I mean...it would just be stupid to pick the same guy in a ****ty car.

An element ? That like saying WW2 was a police action. But why didn't the guys consider the car when judging the woman's attractiveness?
Reply 36
Original post by jamieTT
It's hard to tell when feminists are trolling or being serious. Because it sounds pretty much the same most of the time.

No genuinely most men I know, including my bf who counts himself as a feminist, think women are bad drivers.

Even I kind of thing that...especially school run mothers. Gah.
Reply 37
Yeah I guess you pick up a lot of morals from your parents. When my dads company car was in for repair he got a BMW as a replacement. He called it a hairdressers car and said it was stupid because it cost so much more than its equivalent ford model.

My family just aren't about showing wealth and its pretty looked down upon. Except my mum who just wants to go on constant holidays.

Me, I live off £11000 a year and I'm very happy. I don't see why people need stuff really. Although I would like my own home, that's the one thing. A space to call yours is just nice.

I bet your bro thinks differently :p: But yea I agree on the parents thing. (I was a bmw driver for years, so fu. Definitely not a hairdressers car, comfy, large, powerful, supremely practical, reliable :sad:)
Reply 38
[video="youtube;Ve46peMWU5w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve46peMWU5w&list=UU1KPy3cAAj0i0RIFC_SzjMg[/video]
Reply 39
[video="youtube;yAuu3xOsorQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuu3xOsorQ[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest