The Student Room Group

TSR Bollywood Society

Scroll to see replies

Guys you heard 'Photocopy' from the new Salmaan Khan Movie 'Jai Ho' ? :biggrin:
Reply 5981
Original post by Most Competitive
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

The IMDb top 250. Just 4 Indian films there. They all have a common factor. :biggrin:

3 films...?
Another fantastic song from Yash Raj's next guaranteed hit, Gunday :smile:

[video="youtube;-8SlOkUAW-4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8SlOkUAW-4[/video]
First song from Hasee Toh Phasee :smile:

[video="youtube;1cTarhdZFW4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cTarhdZFW4[/video]
Original post by MsFahima
Guys you heard 'Photocopy' from the new Salmaan Khan Movie 'Jai Ho' ? :biggrin:

Yep. In fact, I posted it on the last page. Hilarious! :biggrin:

Original post by jit987
3 films...?

Since 3/4 are close together in the 130s/140s, you may have missed Lagaan at #200 :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5985
Since 3/4 are close together in the 130s/140s, you may have missed Lagaan at #200 :smile:

I did see Lagaan but this 'Like Stars on Earth' I didn't :p: (why a English translation though)
First trailer and a new poster for Gulaab Gang, starring Madhuri Dixit and Juhi Chawla. Looks fantastic. :smile:

[video="youtube;xAcN8RR3Ry4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAcN8RR3Ry4[/video]

The absolutely rocking full soundtrack from Gunday. I'm so high on these songs that I can barely wait a whole month until this releases on February 14th! Enjoy. :smile:

[video="youtube;O2bnxiN_-bo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2bnxiN_-bo[/video]
Original post by jit987
Saw Shahid the film (Raj Kumar), simply amazing! 9/10 :biggrin:

Forgot to add my review way back in early December when I saw R Rajkumar in the cinemas. This is hands-down one of the best Bollywood movies I've ever laid eyes on. Shahid is on fire as the protagonist and his chemistry with Sonakshi is further evidence that she is the queen of masala movies. The fight scenes are larger than life and bring a huge impact to this breathtaking film. It's also undoubtedly the best dancing I've ever seen on screen - full-on, energetic and incredible fun. I was out of breath just watching the songs! It goes without saying that Gandi Baat is one of my favourite dance busters in recent months, and the rest of the music is simply beautiful that I could listen to the whole soundtrack over and over again without getting bored. Saree Ke Fall Sa, Mat Maari and Kaddu Katega all add that extra bit of spice to an already overpowering film. Sonu Sood is excellent as the villain and I think it's safe to say that Prabhu Dheva is one of the most talented directors that Bollywood has the fortune of employing. The man can do no wrong, and after watching this amazing film I'm already hugely excited for his next (Action Jackson) with Ajay Devgan, despite there being no promos available yet. So pleased to see Shahid back on top form after his string of flops over the past few years - let's hope he manages to follow up the success of R Rajkumar with some more hardcore entertainers in 2014. 9.7/10 from me. :smile:

Original post by krishkmistry
Malang is the best song of the year followed by Badtameez Dil from YJHD,Malang's video is absolutely phenomenal but Dhoom 3 was a let down for me i think.For a film that took 2 years to make i was unimpressed.

I think that's a massive misjudgement because you're missing out loads of other songs that made 2013 such a memorable year for Bollywood songs. As I've mentioned on here before, IMO all of the following songs are equally worthy of being called the best song of the year.

Dil Tu Hi Bataa
Raghupati Raghav
Tu Bhi Mood Mein
Tum Hi Ho
Balam Pichkari
Dilwaali Girlfriend
Ghagra
Tu Hi Junoon
Dhoom Tap
Dhoom Machale Dhoom
Jeene Laga Hoon
Jadoo Ki Jhappi
Rang Jo Lagyo
GANDI BAAT! :biggrin:
Saree Ke Fall Sa
Mat Maari
Lungi Dance (the catchiest song ever!)
1234 Get On The Dance Floor
Tattad Tattad
Ishqyaun Dhishqyaun
Nagada Sang Dhol Baaje
Allah Duhai Hai
Party On My Mind
Party All Night
Har Kisi Ko
Boss (Title Song)
Zila Ghaziabad
Sawaar Loon
Zinda Hoon Yaar
Maston Ka Jhund
Mera Yaar
Zinda
Slow Motion Angrez
Punjabiyan Di Battery
Har Ek Friend Kamina Hota Hai
Satyagraha (Title Song)
Chura Ke Leja
Banda Good Hai
Kudiye Di Kurti
Ye Tune Kya Kiya
Tayyab Ali
Tu Hi Khwahish
Chugliyaan
Mumbai Ke Hero
Pinky
Naino Mein Sapna
Aala Re Aala
Babli Badmaash Hai
Ram Chahe Leela
Dhishkiyaon Dhoom Dhoom
Laila Teri Le Legi
Lutt Jawaan
Babaji Ki Bhooti
Slowly Slowly
Barbaadiyaan
Yamla Pagla Deewana
Suit Tera Laal Rang Da
Changli Changli
Main Aidaan Hi Nachna
Fuk Fuk Fukrey
Ambarsariya
Tum Tak
Raanjhanaa
Tere Mere Beech Mein
Gulabi
Tooh
Dil Duffer
Naina
Dhat Teri Ki
Tamanche Pe Disco
Bullett Raja (Title Song)
Saamne Hai Savera
Besharam
Tere Mohalle
Chal Hand Uthake Nache
Full Jhol

PS. Some of these songs have already been mentioned in previous posts, but I thought it more appropriate to include them again to demonstrate what the Bollywood songs of 2013 mean to me, in a nutshell. It's impossible for me to pick only 2 songs above all the rest because I love everything so much and I just feel you'd be missing out on a great deal of entertainment if you chose only 2 songs as the best of 2013.
Reply 5989
Original post by asif007

I meant this film :tongue:

Realistic cinema :smile: - Last dialogue is epic.
(edited 10 years ago)
Happy New Year guys! :biggrin:

Here's a Bollywood surprise for y'all :smile:

Spoiler

It's good to see SRK promoting his film so early and raising the excitement level way in advance. However, I'm still of the opinion that the man is desperately trying to maintain his position at the top of Bollywood by going down the masala route and copying Salman who is completely untouchable in this genre. After that utter disgrace of a film called Chennai Express, SRK is an idiot and completely deluded if he thinks he can create the same kind of impact and wholesome entertainment that Salman is so famous for. People who think that CE was a good film because of SRK showing off doing literally nothing, are out of their minds. Chennai Express made it completely obvious that SRK is trying too hard and Happy New Year is further evidence of that - SRK is a pretty rubbish dancer so it's completely beyond me why he's doing a film all about dance, starring opposite actors who are much better dancers than him. Nevertheless, I'm pretty confident that Happy New Year will turn out much better and become a more enjoyable, thoroughly entertaining film because of Farah Khan's reputation and the fact that it's a multi-starrer. I wouldn't be surprised to read stories in the coming months of SRK going out of his way to cut his co-stars' screen time (just look at Arjun Rampal's underwhelming time in Ra.One) but I'm looking forward to Happy New Year and hope that it restores my confidence in the man I used to love so much in the 90's and early 2000's. Additionally, SRK's next film with Maneesh Sharma (Fan) doesn't make me too confident because this is a director who has been so successful with younger actors (i.e. Ranveer and Sushant). The fact that SRK is working with him just shows that the man wishes he were 20 years younger...

On the other hand, I'm pleased that SRK is balancing up his masala films (whether they work or not) with more intriguing and dramatic performances. I was delighted to read that he's been signed for Rahul Dholakia's next film Raees with Farhan Akhtar, as well as Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Bajirao Mastani (which has been in gestation for several years). Both of these sound incredibly exciting and will hopefully re-invent SRK's avatars with intense, highly serious characters. Behaving like an idiot in so-called "comedies" doesn't suit him - he is capable of much better, so it will be a delight to see him once again playing roles in his most successful genres (namely drama and romance).

Original post by JolieRose
A bit random ..but what do you think of Sonakshi Sinha generally..as an actress or in terms of looks? :smile:

Original post by Dee01
I think she's really pretty, takes after her mum. I know she's always getting stick for being on the slightly heavier side, than your typical slim actresses.
She looks really nice is Asian clothes but I don't think English clothes is really flattering. Especially when she wears mid thigh dresses or short tops with jeans. Only because she's tall as well so she needs to wear the right things.

Acting wise she's grown on me and I don't mind watching her movies, no matter who she's partnered with. I think she's one of the most strongest contemporary actresses around, compared to some -__- Alia and Shraddha Kapoor and even Sonam Kapoor to name a few of them, I just don't think they're any good even if they are really trying, just isn't working for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a massive fan of Sonakshi and I've loved her performances in every single one of her films (except Joker and Bullett Raja - I haven't seen those). I agree that she's one of the top actresses in Bollywood at the moment, particularly as her films are so successful, but she's also incredibly beautiful and I reckon she can pull off whatever style she wants, western or desi. She's got a lovely complexion, alluring skin and she emotes wonderfully in all her performances so, just like many other actresses I love, she is close to flawless. She holds herself so well opposite the top male actors (Salman, Ajay, Akshay etc) as well as the younger stars (e.g. Ranveer, Arjun) so no complaints from me! I haven't seen much of how her mother Poonam Sinha looks or acts so I can't compare mother to daughter, but without a doubt Sonakshi is one of the finest stars Bollywood has ever seen.

On the other hand, I love Sonam Kapoor too. She is simply stunning and, to be honest, justifiably makes better statements as a fashionista than an actress. Yes, some of her early roles were not too good (e.g. Aisha, Mausam, Thank You) but her recent films like Bhaag Milkha Bhaag and Raanjhanaa have showed off her potential as a serious actress. For me though, being a beautiful Bollywood actress successful enough to keep working in the industry, is enough to capture my heart! :biggrin:

I reckon you're being a bit unfair on Shraddha Kapoor and Alia Bhatt though. Alia is only 1 film old and although her performance was nothing unique, she is showing massive promise with Highway and 2 States releasing this year. Shraddha Kapoor gave us an incredible film like Aashiqui 2 so early on in her career and has got more exciting projects lined up this year (The Villain, Haider). I think it's very premature to write off either of them so early on when they're both just getting started in Bollywood. They are both better and more accomplished actresses than Katrina could hope to be, and look where she is.

**In just 2 weeks, DHOOM:3 has become the most successful Indian film ever by a MASSIVE distance. NO record has been spared, be it in or outside India.** :congrats:

You love to rave about all the records D3 is breaking. It was to be expected all along, especially with an actor of Aamir's calibre and reputation. For me, the best thing about it is the fact that D3 has replaced Chennai Express as the highest grossing Bollywood film ever. Earning 500 Crore worldwide is a massive achievement that Yash Raj should be very proud of. :smile:

Original post by Dee01
Even more than Ram-Leela? Because that was titled the best a few weeks ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm talking about the history of Indian cinema. Bascially, the 2 week business of D3 is more than the total business of EVERY other Indian film in history.

Just to put things into perspective, in its first 3 days, Dhoom 3 did more business than Ram-Leela could manage in its entire time in cinemas!

Ram Leela was aimed at a much smaller audience than D3, which also released on more screens worldwide. D3 had much higher marketing and promotion budgets (as well as being backed by the top studio) while Ram Leela has only just established Ranveer and Deepika's positions as the top actors of the younger generation. Neither of them have the reputation or experience that Aamir enjoys, so it's a natural result that Ram Leela would make less money than D3 - the latter would be almost impossible to beat given everything working so well in it's favour. Proportionally, Ram Leela was a huge success and entertainment-wise they were both equally enjoyable films, but they can't be compared money-wise. As I always say, the amount of money a film makes doesn't matter at all to me when I choose what to watch, but I reckon it's pointless to say D3 is better than Ram Leela because the former made more money. That's irrelevant - as we've seen with Chennai Express, the films that make the most money are not always the best (although 95% of the time they are, lol).

Original post by RVNmax
I just have to post a couple of funny Dhoom 3 related things I've found:

1) First is a comic style strip of the actual movie storyline

Spoiler

I don't agree with the opinions about the movie but it's a funny portrayal.

2) Second is a supposed review

Spoiler

Tbh, terrible style, couldn't tell if serious but have included it because of the ending. SO if you cannot be bothered after a certain point just skip to the last 20 seconds.

My own opinion: not as good as the previous two films of the series, but still a cracker of a film, which features Aamir at Christmas again
4.5/5

KRK is an a***hole who thinks he commands a better position in Bollywood than he does. The man doesn't know jack about how to enjoy and praise a successful film. He thinks his opinion means more than anyone else's and then lashes out when people bring him up on it. The man is the laughing stock of Bollywood, and I hope he stays that way. I wouldn't trust anything he says - just look at how he reacts in the last 20 seconds of that video. Idiot.

Original post by TheVillageNerd
Just watched D3...talk about OTT

Does that mean you didn't enjoy it? Why did you think it was OTT? Admittedly there were some bits that were quite far-fetched, but those were minor irritances if you ask me - nowhere near enough to take away from the scale an grandeur of Bollywood's most ambitious film ever. :smile:

Yep, loving this track :biggrin:

I'll say this now: I think Ranveer Singh is going to go a long way in the industry! I bet Arjun Kapoor won't, though.

Come off it yaar. I've got one word: overrated

Have you had a chance to see D3 yet? 4.95/5 from me (post #5951) but I'll be interested to read your thoughts considering it's much different to the other two films.

Couldn't agree more. Ranveer is the future of Bollywood, and I just love his performances so much. His energy, charisma and incredible passion for films (especially in Ram Leela, but even more so in Gunday) is what I aspire to be like. The way he just commands the screen and makes it his own with those stunning dances in Tattad Tattad, Ishqyaun Dhishqyaun and Jashn-e-Ishqa is what will lead the industry forward. Apart from the established dancers like Shahid and Hrithik, I don't think I've ever seen such captivating dance performances from any Bollywood actor! :smile:

I partially agree about Arjun. His debut performance in Ishaqzaade was incredible and really highlighted his potential as an actor, but he messed up badly with Aurangzeb. Sadly it was a pretty boring film and I couldn't stick with it for even half an hour but from what I saw, it was nothing special. Since Ishaqzaade, I don't think he carries himself as confidently or with as much pride as Ranveer does - you can see the marginal differences in their performances opposite each other in Gunday. Ranveer commands a much bigger screen presence with his energy and passion than Arjun does, but I think if Arjun plays his cards right, chooses projects wisely and gets some good reviews, he could give Ranveer a big challenge for the top spot in Bollywood - although that's a pretty tall order after Ranveer delivered one of the most stunning Bollywood films of all time, Ram Leela. Arjun has got some really exciting projects lined up after Gunday though - 2 States, Finding Fanny and Tevar (love that title so much!) so he's a real contender for the awards and reviews - behind Ranveer and Ranbir though.

Yes, I did see D3 over Christmas (in IMAX too!) and I couldn't have loved it more. I have a great deal to say about it so I'll post a full review later on. :smile:

Why do you think Deepika is over-rated? Tell me more. See my thoughts below about her...

Original post by JungleeBilli
She can't act and still portrays a lack of expressions in her films!

In YJHD, Ranbir and Kalki stole the film. :biggrin:

Which universe are you living in? Deepika has given undeniably fantastic performances in Cocktail, Ram Leela, Lafangey Parindey, Love Aaj Kal and many others. She's hugely talented and she emotes much better than some other actresses could hope for (ahem, Katrina Kaif). Crying, happiness, raw anger, love, rejection, revenge - Deepika has covered all of these beautifully in her varied body of work. Kalki is a good actress but if you ask me, most of her success is because she's married to Anurag Kashyap. She was a bit of a buzzkill in YJHD but at the same time she's done some excellent work in ZNMD and The Girl In Yellow Boots. She's less experienced and less versatile than Deepika, but IMO there's no comparison. Deepika is simply breathtaking but Kalki is pretty at best. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Given that we've started a new year with many exciting Bollywood movies to look forward to, I think it's quite appropriate for me to add a comprehensive list of what made 2013 the best year of Bollywood so far, for me. In no particular order, these are my favourite Bollywood films of 2013 :smile::

Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
Ram Leela
Krrish 3
R Rajkumar
Besharam
Himmatwala
Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
Go Goa Gone
Shootout At Wadala
Race 2
Special 26
Once Upon A Time In Mumbai Dobaara
Yamla Pagla Deewana 2
Aashiqui 2
Commando
Chashme Baddoor
Ishkq In Paris
Raanjhanaa
Ghanchakkar
Fukrey
Ramaiya Vastavaiya
Lootera
Zanjeer
Shuddh Desi Romance
Madras Cafe
Satyagraha
Boss
Dhoom 3
(edited 10 years ago)
Would it be evil of me to paraphrase Howard Wolowitz from The Big Bang Theory? To put it crudely, these are the (potential) future mother(s) of my children, lol!! Hands off!! :biggrin:

Priyanka Chopra
Deepika Padukone
Anushka Sharma
Parineeti Chopra
Huma Qureshi
Taapsee Pannu
Prachi Desai
Sonam Kapoor
Shruti Hassan
Sonal Chauhan
Sonakshi Sinha
Ileana D'Cruz
Pallavi Sharda
Urvashi Rautela
Tamannah Bhatia
Kangna Ranaut
Bruna Abdullah
Priya Anand
Pooja Gupta
Minnisha Lamba
Jacqueline Fernandez
Some of my recent thoughts regarding the current events in Bollywood:

-When I first saw the promos for Karle Pyaar Karle (starring Suneel Darshan's son Shiv opposite Hasleen Kaur), I thought to myself: "Shiv Darshan looks like a lanky p**** with no real muscle mass and a stupid hairstyle. He thinks long hair makes him look good when in fact it's laughable. The man has no idea how to walk with pride, conviction and tevar ki talwar. Is this really everything he learned at film school in New York?" His arms and thighs are smaller than mine (you can see that he's not really a big guy when he comes under the light at particular angles in some of the song promos). KPK is quite obviously a film designed to show off Shiv's potential (or lack thereof) of being a leading man, and Upen Patel must have made a smart decision to walk out of the film before shooting - something I didn't realise before. Then, surprise surprise, I saw an interview with Shiv on Zing Music and he described himself as "used to be tall, lanky and had no friends". Sadly the same is still true - I reckon you can discover a lot of inside information about Bollywood stars and the behaviours/upbringing/talent by reading between the lines and 90% of the time it's probably true. :smile:

-Sooraj Pancholi looks like a pitbull despite having one of the most ferociously strong bodies I've seen in the younger generation of actors. His debut performance in the remake of Subhash Ghai's Hero (opposite Athiya Shetty) is something to look forward to, especially as he's being mentored by Salman. But it's undeniable that Sooraj has some questions to answer about Jiah Khan's suicide and should be brought to justice for what he's done (allegedly he abused her). It's a massive crime against morality for Salman to take Sooraj under his wing with such a bad reputation (and I was a little disappointed in him for doing that) but let's hope this turns out to be one of the more enjoyable debut performances which separates the men from the boys (when I say boys, I mean the losers like Jackky Bhagnani, Harman Baweja, Adhyayan Suman who are still working in Bollywood today because they are star sons). The other debutante who looks incredibly promising is Tiger Shroff - with an incredible body and a background in gymnastics/martial arts, he could give even the powerful action heroes like Vidyut Jamwal, Akshay, Ajay etc a run for their money.

-Something I couldn't stop laughing at when I saw Dhoom 3: why are Aamir Khan's ears so big? Lol :biggrin:

-Something I also realised recently: Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor (starring opposite each other in Gunday this Feb) are related to each other! Ranveer is Sonam Kapoor's first cousin on her mother's side, and Arjun is Sonam's first cousin on her father's side. Doesn't that make Arjun and Ranveer second cousins? :s-smilie:

-Bigg Boss is a bit of a prison sentence. All the contestants ever did was argue, shout, fall out with each other and resort to violence. Salman Khan made fun of them in the weekend elimination shows. He would pretend that one person was eliminated, then tell them to go back in the house and instead eliminate someone else - that's incredibly cruel and manipulative. I'd rather dive into a s***-pit like Jamaal did in Slumdog Millionaire, than go on a programme like that to become famous. Sunny Leone is a ridiculous attention-seeker who is only successful because of her porn background, and is still successful in Bollywood despite disappointing randy Indian men (who are hoping to see her do soft porn in her Bollywood projects) when the censors cut her scenes. Mahesh Bhatt is out of his mind for taking her straight from Bigg Boss into Jism 2.

-Sofia Hayat is hideous, and I gladly missed her stint in the BB house which rapidly came to an end. I don't know where she expects to see herself in Bollywood with a face like that? :eek:

-Speaking of hideous, I'm actually pretty glad that Hrithik and Susanne have split up. The man can do so much better, and from what reports were saying over the past few years, she was dragging him down. Sounds like HR is quite the player and likes to pamper his leading ladies while Susanne sits at home in a sulk. Apparently she's been fairly unsupportive of him when his films flopped, and recently didn't accompany him to the promotional events of Krrish 3. Keeps accusing him of having affairs when he's probably a good husband and a doting dad to their cute children Hridhaan and Hrehaan. Let's hope HR bags himself a much better-looking wife second time around (as long as he doesn't steal any of MY Bollywood lady-loves, I'm cool, lol). :biggrin:

-No news yet on Salman's upcoming production Dr Cabbie, which is being jointly funded by his company Being Human Productions as well as a Hollywood studio. Supposedly starring Vinay Virmani, Isabelle Kaif (Katrina's sister) and Kunal Nayyer (Raj in The Big Bang Theory), it sounds like a really interesting topic which many South Asian immigrants can relate to. I would love to see this, but no idea when it's expected to release. :frown:
Original post by jit987
I meant this film :tongue:

Realistic cinema :smile: - Last dialogue is epic.

Oh right, oops! Quite a different choice to R Rajkumar, lol. Glad you enjoyed Shahid. I haven't seen it, but I take it you would recommend it? :smile:
Reply 5995
Original post by asif007
Oh right, oops! Quite a different choice to R Rajkumar, lol. Glad you enjoyed Shahid. I haven't seen it, but I take it you would recommend it? :smile:

Most definitely :smile: You won't regret it but make sure you watch it in a good quality. Sad that these films don't release in the overseas market.
Thought I might as well take the opportunity to claim post #6000 on TSR Bollywood Society to add my long-overdue review of Dhoom 3, the best Bollywood film ever made!

Undoubtedly this is the most extravagant and exhilarating film Bollywood has ever seen. Indian cinema should be extremely proud to have reached an incredible milestone with Dhoom 3, given just how many records it's breaking worldwide. Quite deservedly it's now the highest earning Indian film of all time. :smile:

D3 absolutely belongs to Aamir Khan who is flawless in his first role as a villain. Everything from the way his character Sahir walks, speaks and graces across the screen with vicious attitude, makes this by far the most intelligent and slick villain of the Dhoom series so far, as well as one of the most formidable villains to ever go up against any hero in a Bollywood film. Aamir's dance routines (particularly in the highly impressive opening number, Dhoom Tap) are probably some of the best he's ever done since the 90's, and the entire feel of this movie speaks volumes of just how powerful and influential Yash Raj have become in Bollywood. It was a massive bonus that I got to see Dhoom 3 in IMAX as well, because the whole film is so captivating from start to finish that you really wish it not to end. Everything from the wonderful cinematography of Chicago to the spectacle of the song and dance sequences to the fantastic stunts is enhanced nicely in surround sound and and a beautifully immersive screen. YR made the best decision ever to recruit VKA to direct D3 - I knew all along that the man was capable of great things after he gave us one of the funniest and most and entertaining Indian films in recent years, Tashan. I was extremely pleased to see Aamir taking on his most commercial role in 20 years, and the success of Dhoom 3 proves just how versatile and talented he is. Abhishek Bachchan and Uday Chopra are also on top form throughout, adding a great dose of comedy (although marginally less than D2 - comedy is what made that one so much fun). I would have liked to see AB Jr maybe add a little bit more menace to the tenacious Jai Dixit as he felt a bit repetitive sometimes, particularly in the scenes with the Chicago police. Uday Chopra managed to prove, despite recent setbacks in his career, that he really is a talented actor and can handle comedy extremely well - most of the laugh-out-loud funny moments that D3 provides in healthy doses, come from him. I enjoyed the fact that the film didn't take itself too seriously and even managed to squeeze in some masala action at the start of the film (which made it even more appealing as I love masala movies so much), although some of the stunts throughout were a little too far-fetched and bordering on implausible. Not something I would expect from seasoned veterans like Aamir and Aditya Chopra, but those are minor criticisms and I suppose they do add a little bit of controversy to an otherwise perfectly packaged film.

No review of D3 would be complete without some mention of Katrina Kaif, who pulls out all the stops and delivers some of her best dance routines ever captured on film. She is simply electrifying, and yet again proves that she's a fantastic dancer (probably a more talented dancer than any other contemporary Bollywood actress). However, that's more than can be said about her acting, and D3 is the first film in 6 years (since Apne) in which Katrina has barely any screen time outside of the songs. She has roughly 10 lines in the whole film and a total of about 5 minutes screen time, which for any other actress would be utterly idiotic and ridiculous - but in Katrina's case, this actually complements the film. Her body language and manner in which she plays Alia is dead annoying, so much so that her entrance scene falls flat as soon as she speaks. I reckon that Aditya Chopra made a pretty sly decision to cut her out of the rest of the movie because he obviously knows how poor her acting skills are, and absolutely nothing could have been left to risk the fate of D3 especially opposite an actor of Aamir's presence. That's a pretty low blow to someone who he's been mentoring, advising and to whom he's been giving the best roles in YR films (I guess her work in Jab Tak Hai Jaan and Ek Tha Tiger in 2012 meant nothing to get her more of a role in D3). For that reason, Katrina is nowhere near a fraction as incredible as Aishwarya Rai was in D2, and I would be pretty disappointed with Aditya Chopra if I were in Katrina's shoes right now. Then again, Katrina having a tiny role made D3 much more enjoyable so I'm not complaining. :smile:

Nor could I review D3 without mentioning the stunts. Some of the fastest, most astounding chase sequences and fight scenes take place in this very film, without which the Dhoom franchise could not take off to the incredible heights it has reached with part 3. Motorbikes, helicopters, trucks and even boats add a lot more variety and intensity to the stunts while also keeping you guessing right until the incredible ending. The stunts are done so well that they ramp up the pace of the film and keep it rocketing along throughout so that there's barely any time to relax - I was so glued that I didn't even want to reach down to the floor and take food out of my bag because I didn't want to take my eyes off the screen! That's just how much I loved this film. The songs were spellbinding (Malang being the most extravagant performance in any Bollywood film, nicely complemented by beautiful tracks like Dhoom Tap, Tu Hi Junoon, Kamli, Dhoom Machale Dhoom and Bande Hai Hum Uske) - so much so that I got goosebumps and felt pretty cold in a perfectly warm cinema. So overall, Dhoom 3 is completely unmissable and an ode to the best of Bollywood in all departments. It's simply enthralling, and if you didn't get a chance to catch it in the cinemas, make sure you watch it at home in full 1080p HD at your earliest opportunity. If you call yourself a fan of Bollywood, you WILL watch this. :smile: Considering all factors, I can't give D3 any less than 9.8/10. :biggrin:

(If you're interested, here are some of my minor thoughts about the special effects and stunts. SPOILERS AHEAD, don't read if you haven't seen Dhoom 3):

Spoiler

One of the most incredible Bollywood dance numbers ever, still a classic 20 years later :biggrin:

[video="youtube;5Jgw3qdFulg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jgw3qdFulg[/video]
Reply 5998
Original post by asif007
One of the most incredible Bollywood dance numbers ever, still a classic 20 years later :biggrin:

[video="youtube;5Jgw3qdFulg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jgw3qdFulg[/video]

Dang, two decades! I feel old now...
Original post by RVNmax
Dang, two decades! I feel old now...

Yes, 1994 - the year of Akshay Kumar! The year in which he apparently appeared in an astounding total of 12 films! (Mohra was one of them). Count them for yourself here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akshay_Kumar_filmography
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest