The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Freshers' Week 2014

Chester is probably going to be my insurance choice this year so there's a good chance I'll be starting there in September, and I was just wondering if any current students know anything about Freshers' Week this year? When you're supposed to register, what major events are on, that sort of thing... even if nothing's been announced for this year, your experiences from previous years would be helpful!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, we've reached out to the SU to ask if they can share anything about Freshers' week this year. But in the meantime, here is a roundup of what happened in 2013 :smile:
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Freshers' week is the best week to begin your new life at university! I'm a first year (can't believe it's gone so fast, felt like Fresher's was last week!) and all I can say is just get stuck in with everything - make new friends, join all the societies you physically can, have a ball with all the parties, and grab as many freebies and pizza slices as you can. Sunday is moving in day, where you'll go to campus to collect your new house keys (probably in Grosvenor's common room - that was where it was last year, anyway), and you'll be met by some lovely people along the way helping you to settle in, and you'll find some common ground with everyone else feeling nervous about the start of uni. There are usually events pretty much every night - usually themed too. When I was just moving in, I was greeted by a friendly bunch promoting events at Rosies and Cruise (the local nightclubs) and selling wristbands for the week at a bargain price. Monday is usually when you go to collect your student card from the library. In Binks there were people giving out freebies and this is where you can also register at your local doctor's surgery and dentist (of course with more freebies). You can also sign up for any smaller events going on during the week (I think there was a ghost walk, and a trip to delemere forest + more). Tuesday you meet your lecturers and have an induction in your course which goes on for a couple of days during the week (I do geography, so we went on a trip to Delemere) but its different for every course - it will be gauranteed fun though, it's done to help everyone feel welcome and just get used to their surroundings and what their course will be like for the year. Wednesday - Well, Fresher's Fair! It usually starts about 12/1, but get there early! With nearly 3000 of us last year, the queue was very long - but don't worry, the wait is helped by free pizza being offered by Pizza Hut and Dominoes :smile: Fresher's Fair is basically a Freebie Frenzy so just go for it! Meet new people and just generally have fun until you're freebie'd and discounted out. Thursday - This is usually another chance for induction for your subject, or the other half of your subject induction if you're doing combined honours. Friday - Sports and Societies Fair - Join as many or as little sports and societies as you want! Try something new, or go for something you're great at. There's all sorts including - Trampolining, Fencing, People and Planet, English Lit Society, Tap and Ballet, Ultimate Frisbee, Board Games and Role Play, Basketball, Football, Tennis, Cheerleading, Quidditch, Rowing, Snowsports, Equestrian, Paintball and so on. :smile: If you're not worn out by then, then during the last weekend there are more trips, such as to Delamere, and Chester Zoo. Last year there was also a Fresher's Fry Up! Hope that answers your question :smile: Any others, just ask! :smile: Enjoy Fresher's!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm a second year and freshers week is something that you'll never forget you'll meet people that you could be friends for life with and other which may turn out to be passing friends! Tbh it doesn't matter what activities occur because you're guaranteed to have a good time! My freshers week was amazing we had a silent disco, a white t-shirt (where you take a sharpie out and write anything you want on anyone - within reason) then some themed nights especially for students in Cruise and Rosies (Rosies is my personal fave) as it is a lot more welcoming and student friendly and i find the drinks - which are meant to be the same thing a lot nicer - SU Friday is something you should never miss out on and continues throughout the year - not just freshers week - Chester is a top choice - not just for freshers week but as an all round good uni! About registering I'm not sure what you mean - maybe it was different for firm choices rather insurance but i think that all happens when results day happens - i hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 4
Does freshers week start on the 28th then? I'm confused because on the Facebook freshers page 2014 for chester it says the 21st!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Amylauren15
Does freshers week start on the 28th then? I'm confused because on the Facebook freshers page 2014 for chester it says the 21st!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was the 22nd or the 23rd but I'm not sure now, does it change year by year or is it always the same date?

(Thanks for your responses so far, by the way!)
Reply 6
Original post by arrhythmiatic
I thought it was the 22nd or the 23rd but I'm not sure now, does it change year by year or is it always the same date?

(Thanks for your responses so far, by the way!)

Not sure, I've heard we move in on the 28th- it's always a Sunday, so I assumed freshers would start then? Does anyone actually know when it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, yes Freshers' week begins on 28th September when students move in to accommodation. This is a little later than last year. The Freshers' page on Facebook is unofficial and looks to have got their dates wrong(!) We can't vouch for how reputable they are.

Look out for your induction guides and information from the Students' Union over the summer for official information about what's going on during Freshers' week :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by University of Chester
Hi, yes Freshers' week begins on 28th September when students move in to accommodation. This is a little later than last year. The Freshers' page on Facebook is unofficial and looks to have got their dates wrong(!) We can't vouch for how reputable they are.

Look out for your induction guides and information from the Students' Union over the summer for official information about what's going on during Freshers' week :smile:

Okay thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If freshers starts on the 28th September then my course starts on the 22nd of September?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HannahH9055
If freshers starts on the 28th September then my course starts on the 22nd of September?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, What course are doing? We can then provide you with the correct information :smile:
I'm doing music journalism at Warrington :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have my own apartment off campus, would I still have to attend the first day of the week where everyone is getting their keys? if so, what would I do instead?
Original post by HappyHarpreet
I have my own apartment off campus, would I still have to attend the first day of the week where everyone is getting their keys? if so, what would I do instead?

There are normally sessions for students living in Private Sector Housing and there are usually events put on by the Students' Union that you might like to get involved with. You will receive more information closer to Induction Week :smile:

Hi, you've said freshers is on 28th of September but on UCAS Track my course start date is 23rd for Business Management Entrepreneurship NN2C but 28th is move in date. I have a dilemma.
Original post by KindofGood
Hi, you've said freshers is on 28th of September but on UCAS Track my course start date is 23rd for Business Management Entrepreneurship NN2C but 28th is move in date. I have a dilemma.

Hi, we've heard of a few people that have been given earlier start dates on UCAS for some reason. Not sure why this is, but your Business course will definitely start the week commencing 28th September.
Hi, we've heard of a few people that have been given earlier start dates on UCAS for some reason. Not sure why this is, but your Business course will definitely start the week commencing 28th September.

This is very concerning, thousands could of potentially turned up a week earlier. I'm just thankful to of been notified.
Yes, we understand your concern. We'll be checking with our Admissions team today to try and find out what's going on with UCAS. Have you had the 'Info for You' guide through the post? That has all the term dates and other useful advice. There is also more information about Induction Week at http://www.chester.ac.uk/you/settling-in/induction-week
We've checked with our Admissions team and move in day is the 28th September with Induction Week starting on the 29th September. Unfortunately it was UCAS that put up the earlier start date. Hope that helps :smile:
Is that the same for the Warrington campus move in date too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending