The Student Room Group

Why is the term ''loser'' applied almost exclusively to men?

Girls don't like dating ''losers'', right? The times I've heard I wouldn't date this guy or that guy because he lives with his parents, doesn't have his own house, doesn't own a car (this is especially big in the US), doesn't have a job or a good job and so on. I have rarely if ever heard a guy call a woman a loser for any reason (including the ones I just mentioned) or refuse to date for because of them. What's up with it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'm a girl and i was just called a loser
Reply 2
I think society tends to view a man's success as gauged by his personal achievements, whereas a woman's success is gauged by her partner's achievements. If this is the case, then it makes more sense to call a man a "loser", since he has failed to achieve, whereas a woman often isn't expected to try, or rather, it doesn't impinge their ability to marry a successful person. In other words, "loser" as an insult implicitly attacks a man's self-worth, whereas this isn't so much the case with women. That would be my speculation, at any rate.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've always been a loser :erm:
We are life's winners :sexface:
Original post by jamieTT
Girls don't like dating ''losers'', right? The times I've heard I wouldn't date this guy or that guy because he lives with his parents, doesn't have his own house, doesn't own a car (this is especially big in the US), doesn't have a job or a good job and so on. I have rarely if ever heard a guy call a woman a loser for any reason (including the ones I just mentioned) or refuse to date for because of them. What's up with it?

Because typically, men are meant to strive for success and are meant to be ambitious. If women are, it's a pleasant exception.
Reply 6
Expectations are far lower for women.
Reply 7
Girls get called bossy. Boys get called losers. Each are equally significant in reinforcing traditional gender roles and each are damaging.
It's due to the patriarchal society and much less being expected of women.
Reply 9
Original post by miser
I think society tends to view a man's success as gauged by his personal achievements, whereas a woman's success is gauged by her partner's achievements. If this is the case, then it makes more sense to call a man a "loser", since he has failed to achieve, whereas a woman often isn't expected to try, or rather, it doesn't impinge their ability to marry a successful person. In other words, "loser" as an insult implicitly attacks a man's self-worth, whereas this isn't so much the case with women. That would be my speculation, at any rate.

But most women don't seem too eager to change certain aspects of gender roles , do they?
"Because men are appressed by the wimminz" (Smith, 2014)

^See I have an up-to-date citation.

JamieTT's suspicions have been confirmed by expert academics.

/ThreadsmadebyjamieTT
Reply 11
Because men are judged on what they do.

Women are judged on what they look like far more than what they do, female equivalent would probably be being called ugly.

Prettier you are the less of a loser you will have to go for, the uglier you are, the more of a loser you have to settle for.

And before anyone comes in and starts bitching about generalisations, you know that in the majority of cases....

I'm right. :cool:
Moreover, why would anyone care?
Reply 13
Original post by jamieTT
But most women don't seem too eager to change certain aspects of gender roles , do they?

I think most women simply want the choice.
Reply 14
Original post by miser
I think most women simply want the choice.

They don't seem to want to give men the same choice though. Have cake and eat it.
Reply 15
Original post by jamieTT
They don't seem to want to give men the same choice though. Have cake and eat it.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I do think most feminists genuinely want men to have choice too - but this doesn't mean they will choose men who make 'feminine' decisions for partners in their relationships.
Reply 16
Original post by miser
I don't think that's entirely accurate. I do think most feminists genuinely want men to have choice too - but this doesn't mean they will choose men who make 'feminine' decisions for partners in their relationships.

what the hell is a 'feminine decision', exactly?
Reply 17
Original post by Riku
what the hell is a 'feminine decision', exactly?

I meant to describe decisions which don't conform to a traditionally masculine gender role. For example, wanting to be a house-husband, or behaviour resulting from lack of ambition or want of independence.
Reply 18
If we're going by very stereotypical and shallow traditional gender roles, a woman who's a loser would be either 'fat' or a 'slut'.

because
Men=what you do+how much you earn
Women=what you look like/how pretty you are+have you lost your virginity yet/how 'pure' are you

but personally I judge a woman based on what she can do same as a man because we're both adults with brains and we live in the 21st century not a cave.

If a person is a loser it's usually because they exhibit what I see as some sort of really revolting personality trait-leeching off everyone else, hypocrite, liar, (Imo would add misogynist, racist, homophobic, neo-Nazi, aware these are more contentious) I could go on.

JamieTT what are you trying to glean from these threads exactly?

edit: I've not once heard a man be called a 'loser' outside the context of 90s US soaps :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by miser
I meant to describe decisions which don't conform to a traditionally masculine gender role. For example, wanting to be a house-husband, or behaviour resulting from lack of ambition or want of independence.

I see.
If being a house-husband (including nurturing the children) is an unattractive 'feminine' trait, then what are the thoughts on teaching? Plenty of male teachers, who are in a sense nurturing their class with knowledge and (in the case of younger pupils) protection. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest