The Student Room Group

[UK MEng] UK Master of Engineering in the US

Hi,

I study Mechanical Engineering at one of the British universities.
I am studying towards a Master of Engineering (UK MEng) and in the future I would like to work in the United States.
However, I read on Wikipedia that
The UK MEng (undergraduate degree) is not recognized in Canada, USA, India or Europe as a true masters degree since a masters degree in these countries takes a further 1–2 years after a 4 year Bachelors degree. A UK MSc attained as a degree separate from the bachelor degree is recognized as a true Masters degree.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this issue? Or is it better to get a UK BEng and then a UK MSci?

Thanks in advance,

Phi
Reply 1
Original post by PhiPhiPhi
Hi,

I study Mechanical Engineering at one of the British universities.
I am studying towards a Master of Engineering (UK MEng) and in the future I would like to work in the United States.
However, I read on Wikipedia that
The UK MEng (undergraduate degree) is not recognized in Canada, USA, India or Europe as a true masters degree since a masters degree in these countries takes a further 1–2 years after a 4 year Bachelors degree. A UK MSc attained as a degree separate from the bachelor degree is recognized as a true Masters degree.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this issue? Or is it better to get a UK BEng and then a UK MSci?

Thanks in advance,

Phi

Firstly can I ask what University the degree is from?
Reply 2
Original post by 391iady
Firstly can I ask what University the degree is from?

University of Nottingham
It's true that a UK MEng isn't generally recognised as a full masters degree outside of the country, but in most of those countries a masters degree isn't really something that employers place much premium on anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
It's true that a UK MEng isn't generally recognised as a full masters degree outside of the country, but in most of those countries a masters degree isn't really something that employers place much premium on anyway.

kind of. you need need to understand their is undergraduate masters e.g. MEng or graduate masters e.g MS.
Reply 5
Bump!

Any ways of converting this? Separating the 'MEng' into a BEng of 3 years and the Msc of 1 year?
Reply 6
Original post by iRaii
Bump!

Any ways of converting this? Separating the 'MEng' into a BEng of 3 years and the Msc of 1 year?

you can do a beng then a msc,
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 391iady
you can do a meng then a msc,

There is no point in doing so - why would anyone pay for an extra year?
In this case it is better to do BEng + MSci.
However, "the problem" with MSci is that there is no loan from Student Finance.

Best of all, surely, would be to do a BEng and then a funded MSc. That gives you the 4 years, two qualifications (perhaps from two insitutions), and the 4th year isn't supported by Student Finance and your Dad but by the EPSRC.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Best of all, surely, would be to do a BEng and then a funded MSc. That gives you the 4 years, two qualifications (perhaps from two insitutions), and the 4th year isn't supported by Student Finance and your Dad but by the EPSRC.

How easy is to get your MSc funded, though?
Original post by Smack
How easy is to get your MSc funded, though?

No idea. What I am saying is only that this would be a best of all possible possibles.

sorry that's what I meant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending