The Student Room Group

Any train-savvy people? Reps for anyone who can help me!

I'm going to be going on work experience next week Mon-Fri and will need to get a train from my town into the city I'm working in.

However, a return ticket per day would be £5.50 which is going to end up costing £27.50 for the 5 days! And that is with a Young Persons Railcard! This is a little on the expensive side, so I was wondering if I can buy a train ticket for 5 days travel (i.e. there and back for 5 days) if such a thing exists. I don't mind buying one for 7 days, if it works out cheaper to do so. :smile:

Does anyone know if this exists, or if there's a cheaper option? It'll have to cover peak time too as its a 9am-5pm work placement.

Reps for anyone who can help! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Google it.
Reply 2
I've tried, but can't seem to find much. :frown:
Reply 3
as far as i know it'll be cheaper just like that.

but does it vary from company to company?

the only way im guessing this is because my friend travels to bedford mon-fri, he asked midland mainline about season tickets and stuff, but they came back and said you may aswell just buy the 100£+ worth of tickets each week.

ring up and ask - the local train station?
Reply 4
what area r u in?
I think there probably are train saver cards....contact your local train station maybe?
Reply 6
http://www.wymetro.com/PassesandSavings/MetroCards/

we have those up here whihc ppl who get the train to school use...hope that helps :smile: it all depends what train companys area you are in, but i know that getting a card like that is defs cheaper, bets bet would be to pop down to ur closest train station and ask them
Reply 7
I'm in the north west area.

Thanks e_clark, I wonder if they do those in my area? :confused:

If it helps, I'll be travelling from ansdell to preston stations.
Reply 8
Unfortunately, I don't think you can get season tickets for less than a month - QJump online won't quote for anything less than a month anyway...
Reply 9
I think it depends on your train company whether you can get a seven day ticket, I know for example that you can get a seven day travel card into London from one railway, but I guess that might just be because it's London. If you know which train operator you will be using try looking on their website that may be able to tell you, or go into your local train station and ask.

Oh, and as far as i remember the young persons railcard is not valid for travel during peak time, but you might want to confirm that :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 10
yes it is valid then but it only works on jounryes over £8 (or so ive been told). you can defs get 7 day cards in my area
I'll have to ask at the train station! Thanks for the help :smile: I'll rep everyone who's helped!
Reply 12
Some train companies offer weekly season tickets that last for 7 days, these are usually cheaper than 5 standard return tickets as well. Not sure about Northern Rail though, but yeah you can ask when you go to buy your ticket tommorow or whenever you start. Alternatively you can phone National rail enquiries - 08457 48 49 50. It's 24/7 (but goes to Indian call centre...still helpful though) so you can find out now if you want.

Young Persons Railcards do work during peak hours but there's usually a minimum fare that you have to pay but that gets waived during the summer holidays so you'll be ok.
You can definitely get weekly tickets. I was going to get one for my journey into Leeds everyday, before I was informed that since Young Persons railcards work in july and august, it actually works out cheaper to buy a ticket each day! If I was travelling in any other month, this wouldn't be the case, but it's just a summer job and works out about £6-7 cheaper per week to do individual tickets. Pain in the bum queueing at the ticket office for them each morning though!!
Reply 14
Why don't you ask if the company you're working with will reimburse the cost of the train tickets. If it's a big enough company they'll probably pay for you travel expenses.
Apparantly, you have to have a "Weekly pass ID card" before you can buy weekly tickets!

I ended up just paying for a day return, but I don't know if the conductor forgot that it was peak time or not because he only charged me £3.60 with my railcard! :biggrin: Not complaining though!
Reply 16
What on earth is a weekly pass ID card? Strange one that.

Latest

Trending

Trending