The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme- Lots of Questions

Hi all,

I'm a first year law student and since revision for exams are really boring I'm starting to look at vacation schemes (I know it's still quite early but well). I have quite a few questions and I would be grateful if anyone can answer them! THANKS :biggrin::biggrin:

- Do firms ask for you first year grades/ unit grades?
- Do I need a 2:1 to get in most decent firms for vacation scheme?
- How many firms should I apply to? Is it like UCAS where we apply 1 dream 2 normal 1 safety etc.?
- Should I leave some firms to apply for training contract in the future?
- Is it possible to rank firms in tiers?
- What should I read in preparation for my application?
- What firms do you like and why?
- Do you have any general tips of how to pick firms to apply for?

Thank you so much! I'm such a newbie to this and would be so happy if anyone can answer my questions! thank you <3
Original post by xoxoyayz
Hi all,

I'm a first year law student and since revision for exams are really boring I'm starting to look at vacation schemes (I know it's still quite early but well). I have quite a few questions and I would be grateful if anyone can answer them! THANKS :biggrin::biggrin:

- How many firms should I apply to? Is it like UCAS where we apply 1 dream 2 normal 1 safety etc.?

Thank you so much! I'm such a newbie to this and would be so happy if anyone can answer my questions! thank you <3

So I'm not sure I know all the answers but here is my best
1) Yes
2) Yes, but I know some people who have managed with 2.2s
3) It isn't really like UCAS, non are easy, but some are harder than others. People normally apply for about 10 (though I don't really know)
4) Not sure, some will say you can't re apply, but some say you can., If you really like a firm just go for it.
5) There are rankings in Chambers and Partners for how good firms are in different areas. But realistically you need to make your own on what matters to you. Pay, work life balance, quality of training, secondments etc. There are prizes in some areas, but you need to know what matters to you.
6) Read legal news, like The Lawyer. There are lots of careers focused sites like Chambers Student. Your careers service should be able to help.
7) I like silver circle- good clients, but a better work life balance than the bigger firms, and potentially more hands on training.
8) Try and pick similar firms- it makes writing applications easier. Try and get involved with the firm early. Go on open days and meet them at law fairs. Make a good first impression by asking lots of questions.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by xoxoyayz
Hi all,

Yes.

No, just predicted but realistically most will have one.

No, 5 would be very risky. Most people will apply to 10-20 firms as a second year I think, on the LPC people will be applying for 40-50 though.

Probably given the constraints of time and the fact your applications will improve with practice, but look up how important the VS is before deciding which firms to do this with, as somewhere like Nabarro the VS is essential.

Yes, Chambers does this for you, but beware that what is a tier 1 firm to one person may not be for another, it will depend on atmosphere, the areas you want to work in (eg. if you really like employment going to the MC isn't the best idea, as the departments are small and have few NQ jobs, converesely if you want big ticket finance work don't apply to Mischon).

LEX and Market Reports from the FT, business pages of a national, Lawyer, the Gazette etc. 'All you need to know about the City' and '"" Commercial Awareness' are good.

Think about what sort of work you want to do, what sort of training you want, how big a trainee cohort, where you want to live, the money, the hours, where you can realistically get in etc.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending