The Student Room Group

Conversation with GF non existant

I recently started seeing someone, how ever the conversation on my part is dead. I have trouble coming up with things to say to people in general but she says my muteness is a big deal and a possible relationship ender.

How do I come up with things to say?

Pleeease help me.
Talk about your day. What happened. What you saw. What it reminded you of when you saw it. Talk about what TV show you watched. Share TV shows you've watched in the past. Shows you want to watch but haven't got around to yet. Talk about places you want to go to. Shops you want to look in. Books you want to buy.

The list goes on. If you find conversation difficult, you need to work on being comfortable around her so you can open up more. Learn to share what's going on in your head instead of keeping it to yourself. It's easier said than done, but it can be done.
Maybe you aren't particularly well suited to each other
Reply 3
Ask her about her - anything interesting happened recently? Ask her favourites - does she like reading? Favourite film? Foods? Then you can discuss to your hearts content. If you find you can just ramble on for ages once you've found a topic then you'll be fine :smile:
Try using a chat up line (that always gets some conversation going, or at least a reaction).

Would you like one that I made up?
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Try using a chat up line (that always gets some conversation going, or at least a reaction).

Would you like one that I made up?

Is it "there's no forecast to rain today, but you'll be getting wet tonight" by any chance? :biggrin:
Original post by leinad2012
Is it "there's no forecast to rain today, but you'll be getting wet tonight" by any chance? :biggrin:

Why, yes it is. :smile:

Seriously though, it will generate conversation, strange as it sounds.
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Why, yes it is. :smile:

Seriously though, it will generate conversation, strange as it sounds.

What if rain is forecasted? What do you do then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by majmuh24

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll get back to you on that.
Reply 9
Firstly, tell her that you will work on this, that it's just something you do with 'newcomers' etc but you really don't want her to see it negatively. I have a friend who is very non-committal in conversation and it took me a while to realise that's fine. He's better now, and I think that happened when I stopped looking for his responses so much and stopped asking for more conversation than he was offering.

It's all about just relaxing. I'd also consider having a couple of drinks - with that friend, we always have one or two just to loosen him up slightly haha, our conversation is always better after a pint. Are you wondering what you are saying when you talk to her, about what she will think of your response? That's the problem, usually; you should let go of hang-ups about what she will think and just let yourself get into the conversation properly, don't hold back 'just in case' she doesn't like what you say.
Original post by majmuh24

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd go back to the good ol':

"I am no weatherman, but you can expect a few inches tonight."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending