The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York or Sheffield?

Hi!

I'm an international student, and I got offers to study French and German at the University of York and the University of Sheffield. They both require the same grades, and I want to choose one of these two universities as my firm choice. Which one would you recommend and why?
Reply 1
I would say Sheffield - purely due to the fact I live here and so I'm very biased :smile:
But Sheffield does have an amazing nightlife & really good university buildings - it's not too small and not too big of a city either :smile:

But as always it's up to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Daryaa1
I would say Sheffield - purely due to the fact I live here and so I'm very biased :smile:
But Sheffield does have an amazing nightlife & really good university buildings - it's not too small and not too big of a city either :smile:

But as always it's up to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your opinion. Would you say that a diploma from Sheffield is more appreciated by employers rather than one from York?
Reply 3
Original post by silai.madalina
Thank you for your opinion. Would you say that a diploma from Sheffield is more appreciated by employers rather than one from York?

I'm not sure really - its not really what Uni you have your degree from , I think (I'm not sure) it's more how well you can present yourself to the employer and how much work experience you have. Also how well you completed your degree - I would say Sheffield is more known but again that's very biased :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I think York's rep is only slightly higher than Sheffield, but that should make very little difference: both are in the lower half of the Russell Group, I think (with Oxbridge, Imperial, etc being the top half), so pretty damn well respected with employers.

Sheffield has better nightlife, lots of surrounding countryside, and lots of hills.

York is a more "historic" small sort of town, but the uni campus itself is very modern.
Reply 5
Original post by Катя
I think York's rep is only slightly higher than Sheffield, but that should make very little difference: both are in the lower half of the Russell Group, I think (with Oxbridge, Imperial, etc being the top half), so pretty damn well respected with employers.

Sheffield has better nightlife, lots of surrounding countryside, and lots of hills.

York is a more "historic" small sort of town, but the uni campus itself is very modern.

Do you know anything about the teaching methods used at these unis? I have read on the internet that at Sheffield students are shown power point slides and that's all there is to it...I really wouldn't like spending 9000 pounds a year to watch some slideshows...
Reply 6
Also, do you know anything about the University of Manchester? What is it like in comparison to York or Sheffield?
Reply 7
Also, do you know anything about the University of Manchester? What is it like in comparison to York or Sheffield?

THE world unirankings:
Manchester 58
York 100
Sheffield 112

QS world uni rankings:
Manchester 33
York 114
Sheffield 71

York is number 7 in the world in this table:
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013/one-hundred-under-fifty
Reply 8
Do you know anything about the teaching methods used at these unis? I have read on the internet that at Sheffield students are shown power point slides and that's all there is to it...I really wouldn't like spending 9000 pounds a year to watch some slideshows...

This is true of most arts courses, to be fair. With language courses, however, you do get a fair amount of small-class tuition, grammar classes, sessions with native speakers etc.
Reply 9

Of those three I've only ever visited Sheffield, and went to an open day session for Chinese. I loved the course there, it's probably the best one I've seen at any university that offers Chinese undergrad courses (incl. Oxford, Cambridge, SOAS). Very language-focused, very small groups, very cool tutors. I'm not sure about European languages, though, but I imagine they'd be of a pretty good quality too.
Original post by Катя

I'm not one to put all my faith in ranking tables, but York outranks Sheffield University on UK domestic rankings. The Complete Guide, Sunday Times and Guardian put York 14, 7 and 16 positions above Sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending