The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Not being able to understand lecturers/tutors?

I'm applying to Edinburgh (for year of 2015) but one thing concerns me: not being able to understand the tutors and lecturers.
I attended an open day from England and when asking questions about the university I struggled to understand a little.

Has anybody found this a problem or should it not alter my choice?
I did ks! Ksh slaayfbekso libre.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
It depends on how much you were able to understand. You may find that attending university there and being surrounded by the language and accents will augment your abilities! I say give it a shot, but it's up to you!
Reply 3
That seems a bit weird... The accents in Edinburgh aren't particularly strong, maybe you just haven't been exposed to the Scottish accent enough?
If you spend a bit of time up here you will probably get used to it. A lot of courses at Edinburgh have a majority of non-Scottish students, so the lecturers are aware that they need to speak clearly.
Reply 4
I came up from England to Scotland few years back, it took a while to understand people but you catch on soon enough, Edinburgh folk have one of the clearest accents so you should catch on quickly! :smile:
Reply 5
I'm Scottish and sound half way between the Glasgow and Edinburgh accent and I had to learn to speak slower and clearer because there's so many English and American etc people that it just made my life difficult to not be understood. And lecturers are from all over the place, same with tutors.

I don't see it of much of a real problem. Even if it were you get used to accents pretty quick.
Reply 6
Even though I've lived in Canada for several years, I still find it tricky to understand what North Americans saying sometimes because of their vowel sounds, especially when they're talking to me on the phone. I just have to concentrate a wee bit harder.

If you think it'll be a problem for you because you haven't been exposed to Scottish accents before, there are plenty of online resources where you can hear different varieties of Scottish accent. BBC Scotland radio, podcasts, Youtube videos of comedians e.g. Kevin Bridges, Youtube videos of Scottish lecturers and academics.

Obviously you should try to find something you're actually interested in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending