The Student Room Group

Dropped out of university

I have recently failed my second year of uni. I think that I may have picked a degree that was too difficult for me. Does anyone know what I should do next? Any answers are appreciated.
u need to talk to ur units admin office and your mentor to process ur withdrawal from uni
after that contact student finance and let them know so u aren't charged further
Original post by Jasp20
I have recently failed my second year of uni. I think that I may have picked a degree that was too difficult for me. Does anyone know what I should do next? Any answers are appreciated.

if you mean what you should do with your life in general, then i can try to help you out as i dropped out of uni myself. i went into a course that i applied for when i was 17, not really 100% sure what i wanted to "be" in life, then when i was there i realised this really wasnt for me and left after a month. i already had a part time job so i spent the year off working, seeing friends and generally trying to find myself and decide what i wanted to do. its not always something that comes easy to people, committing years of your life to a course is a bigger decision than some people think it is. after a while of stressing and panicking thinking i dont know what to do, im gonna be stuck in this part time job at tesco forever, eventually after looking around i applied to do a college course in social sciences, because it wasnt just one subject but about 4, so i wasnt stuck doing one thing i might not enjoy. part of the course was criminology and i ended up loving that so applied to do it at uni after college. im now in my second year going into third doing criminology and law, and i love it. yeah ill be about 24 when i finish, but i feel having taken a stepping stone and went to college first, matured a bit and learned more adult things, i was starting uni with a different mindset.

so basically, my advice to you is, for the moment take some time out, theres no rush to decide what you want to do, because youre better applying for the right thing than just deciding on something for the sake of it. you also dont necessarily have to get a degree, you could do a college course (well im from scotland so if you arent from here things might be different) or an apprenticeship? maybe go travelling to figure out what you really are interested in. theres also websites where you can do quizzes which tell you which careers are best suited to you. if you have a careers service in your area then go visit them and talk to them. they helped me. but remember, dont regret your choice to leave because it was your choice to make and it was what was right for you. people will try to tell you 'oh youre making a mistake' etc but i think me getting a degree in criminology and law which im getting all great grades in is way better than what i did before and probably wouldve failed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending