The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Can I keep a car in Bristol (needs to be a safe place as there are complications!!).

Hi,

Hope someone can help me here, I've firmed Bristol to start this Sep/Oct for a Mechanical Engineering course. (I'm 18). What I want to know is can I bring my car down to Bristol?

Now, this isn't any ordinary car, it's a kit car/sandrail whatever you want to call it, basically it's an open frame car but is currently not road legal.

I've been building it for the last 2 years and it's become my baby, I can get it towed down there but is there anywhere safe I can store it so that I can work on it in my free time? It's completely open so although I could put a tarp over it, I don't want people to mess with it, is that likely to happen? It's not like a normal car that you can lock of course as it's completely open! Also, seeing as most of it is steel and it's completely open, rust is going to be a bit of a potential problem..I'd assume I'm pushing my luck in asking to see if there is storage with a roof lol?

I was considering renting a garage for £11 per week, which works out about £450 per uni year but I haven't looked into the specifics admittedly.

I don't know whether there are any local barns that I could ask the owner if I could slip it into the corner of??

Am open to any suggestions or ideas??

Hope someone can help, all the best.

Also, while I'm at it, which catered hall is the best (socially) to go for..I'm looking at Stoke Bishop??
Reply 1
Original post by Music Guy123
Hi,

Hope someone can help me here, I've firmed Bristol to start this Sep/Oct for a Mechanical Engineering course. (I'm 18). What I want to know is can I bring my car down to Bristol?

Now, this isn't any ordinary car, it's a kit car/sandrail whatever you want to call it, basically it's an open frame car but is currently not road legal.

I've been building it for the last 2 years and it's become my baby, I can get it towed down there but is there anywhere safe I can store it so that I can work on it in my free time? It's completely open so although I could put a tarp over it, I don't want people to mess with it, is that likely to happen? It's not like a normal car that you can lock of course as it's completely open! Also, seeing as most of it is steel and it's completely open, rust is going to be a bit of a potential problem..I'd assume I'm pushing my luck in asking to see if there is storage with a roof lol?

I was considering renting a garage for £11 per week, which works out about £450 per uni year but I haven't looked into the specifics admittedly.

I don't know whether there are any local barns that I could ask the owner if I could slip it into the corner of??

Am open to any suggestions or ideas??

Hope someone can help, all the best.

Also, while I'm at it, which catered hall is the best (socially) to go for..I'm looking at Stoke Bishop??

Now when I was going, people on TSR tried to largely put me off.
Bristol is very anti-car, plus it has tiny packed streets etc.
It's like rush hour all the time, actual rush hour is very bad.
Parking is either extremely expensive in the centre, or free parking on residential streets is packed.

However, I took mine. Stoke Bishop does have hall car parks, which generally start filling up when people later try to get in using 'family' etc as an excuse. So that's your best bet.
SB is probably the safest place to leave it otherwise, there's so much free space around the downs (On google maps look around parrys lane)
However - it's not a car park so there are risks, someone I know had their car broken into on there, but that is it. I have had mine out there sometimes :smile:

Other options I cannot really advise you on but googling it :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by marinaim
Now when I was going, people on TSR tried to largely put me off.
Bristol is very anti-car, plus it has tiny packed streets etc.
It's like rush hour all the time, actual rush hour is very bad.
Parking is either extremely expensive in the centre, or free parking on residential streets is packed.

However, I took mine. Stoke Bishop does have hall car parks, which generally start filling up when people later try to get in using 'family' etc as an excuse. So that's your best bet.
SB is probably the safest place to leave it otherwise, there's so much free space around the downs (On google maps look around parrys lane)
However - it's not a car park so there are risks, someone I know had their car broken into on there, but that is it. I have had mine out there sometimes :smile:

Other options I cannot really advise you on but googling it :smile:

Thanks,

I realise Bristol is not a very car friendly place...but my car isn't really for the streets (yet!). I'm working on it to get it road legal (it's a UVA fugitive...you can google that to get an idea of what we're talking about here...it's not an ordinary car lol!) but it's at least another year's work off being road legal.

So you'd suggest SB? You'd say it's not likely that I'm gonna get students getting into it or even worse trying to start it (I guess I could remove the battery)? I don't fancy having drunk students messing with it!

I know I sound stupidly over-protective here but it's my pride and joy...all the money I earn goes into this project so don't fancy it getting damaged!

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated :smile:.
it should really be indoors. I would say rent a garage
Reply 4
Thanks,

I realise Bristol is not a very car friendly place...but my car isn't really for the streets (yet!). I'm working on it to get it road legal (it's a UVA fugitive...you can google that to get an idea of what we're talking about here...it's not an ordinary car lol!) but it's at least another year's work off being road legal.

So you'd suggest SB? You'd say it's not likely that I'm gonna get students getting into it or even worse trying to start it (I guess I could remove the battery)? I don't fancy having drunk students messing with it!

I know I sound stupidly over-protective here but it's my pride and joy...all the money I earn goes into this project so don't fancy it getting damaged!

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated :smile:.

Oh yeah ofc, just realised that after writing it, figure it might be useful at some point or if someone saw it :tongue:
How are you getting it there then ?

SB is def. the place if you want a car there! Clifton etc. has little parking, while redlands the residntial area is obviously higher traffic and has more drunken people so likely not as safe to keep there.

I'd say try to get it in the SB car parks if you can, you do tend to need a reason though (say family issues). Although, they were extremely empty at first and so more people were allowed cars, who didn't even have any reasons. They're barrier car parks, and no-one really goes in them, even en route from being out. (although a cover may help)
Or outside near downs, obviously more risk depending how much you want it but if there's nothing valuable then might be okay.
Reply 5
Original post by fluctuationsman
it should really be indoors. I would say rent a garage

Yeh, think you may be right, even for the protection from the weather (rain causes rust :frown: )

Original post by marinaim
Oh yeah ofc, just realised that after writing it, figure it might be useful at some point or if someone saw it :tongue:
How are you getting it there then ?

SB is def. the place if you want a car there! Clifton etc. has little parking, while redlands the residntial area is obviously higher traffic and has more drunken people so likely not as safe to keep there.

I'd say try to get it in the SB car parks if you can, you do tend to need a reason though (say family issues). Although, they were extremely empty at first and so more people were allowed cars, who didn't even have any reasons. They're barrier car parks, and no-one really goes in them, even en route from being out. (although a cover may help)
Or outside near downs, obviously more risk depending how much you want it but if there's nothing valuable then might be okay.

Got a friend who's gonna tow it down for me. Having a barrier is good, will definately cover it though. Thanks, good to know there's fairly safe parking, I'll just make the decision on leaving it out in the elements later then :smile:.
Reply 6
Yeh, think you may be right, even for the protection from the weather (rain causes rust :frown: )

Got a friend who's gonna tow it down for me. Having a barrier is good, will definately cover it though. Thanks, good to know there's fairly safe parking, I'll just make the decision on leaving it out in the elements later then :smile:.

Cool, hope that was useful ish. But yeah, finding a garage is obviously a little harder in such a packed city :P
http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/central-bristol-storage-for-caravans-motorhomes-etc-secure-under-cover-storage/1040283114

something like that might be a good idea and it will be cheaper than renting a garage
Reply 8
Original post by fluctuationsman
http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/central-bristol-storage-for-caravans-motorhomes-etc-secure-under-cover-storage/1040283114

something like that might be a good idea and it will be cheaper than renting a garage

Cheers, you are right, that sounds pretty decent. How many months would I need it for...9?

I was originally thinking this: http://www.trade-it.co.uk/bristol/property/to-rent/garages-to-rent/lock-up-garages-in-RW412YEZN which I would have thought is not much difference price wise. But will look into your suggestion, seems pretty decent.
Reply 9
Just a thought, which months am I actually going to have time to be working on it? I don't need to be working on it during exam season. So if I brought it down in the beginning of October, and left it down there, when am I likely to want to take it back (i.e. a holiday before exams, would it be the beginning of may?).

Just looked, this looks pretty decent: http://www.bristolcarstorage.net/ not to mention very safe, especially as it's exact location isn't on the website lol!!
Just a thought, which months am I actually going to have time to be working on it? I don't need to be working on it during exam season. So if I brought it down in the beginning of October, and left it down there, when am I likely to want to take it back (i.e. a holiday before exams, would it be the beginning of may?).

Just looked, this looks pretty decent: http://www.bristolcarstorage.net/ not to mention very safe, especially as it's exact location isn't on the website lol!!

Exam season is yeah may onwards really. So I'd take it back in Easter. Otherwise, first year tends to be heaped with free time :tongue:
Makes sense :smile:.

So when does Easter start (roughly) is it literally on Easter weekend or before?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending