The Student Room Group

IGSCE English language exam 8th May 2014 - how did everyone find it?

Hey,
I just had my igcse english exam today, I took the extended reading passages and I thought it went quite well.

What's everyone else's take on it?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Agreed I found it awesome! Once your accustomed to the structure of the exam its quite simply to get a high mark! Sources were rather bizarre though :/
I found it really good. The sources were also good. Q1 on extended who did people write it from ?
Your'e joking right?
Original post by lucechris98
I found it really good. The sources were also good. Q1 on extended who did people write it from ?

The mother
Yeah I thought it was pretty good actually :smile:
I wrote it in the pov of sacha. How many marks do you think I'll lose?
Original post by johnpham2014
I wrote it in the pov of sacha. How many marks do you think I'll lose?

Bet it was a really common mistake. Probably only one or two tbh.
Original post by LSEMaybe?
Bet it was a really common mistake. Probably only one or two tbh.

I took this exam too, she/he wouldnt just have one or two marks taken away, it would be more like 5 as they completely missed the purpose and tone and it specifically stated 'your mrs Wilkie", so she would propably lose marks on the writing mark more than the content marks.
Reply 9
(sister on sisters account) I wrote it from the mother, but then signed off as myself :/ Also, after writing three pages for analysis (Q2) i read that it asked specifically for 1 to 1 1/2 pages! wooops, anyone know how many marks I'll lose?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tayloryeah
I took this exam too, she/he wouldnt just have one or two marks taken away, it would be more like 5 as they completely missed the purpose and tone and it specifically stated 'your mrs Wilkie", so she would propably lose marks on the writing mark more than the content marks.

I wouldn't be so sure. All the writing marks are for SPAG and Structure. If the letter contained 15 fairly decent points I think the examiner would only mark her down a few marks.
Reply 11
Original post by MCMAC
(sister on sisters account) I wrote it from the mother, but then signed off as myself :/ Also, after writing three pages for analysis (Q2) i read that it asked specifically for 1 to 1 1/2 pages! wooops, anyone know how many marks I'll lose?

I know that they stop marking as soon as you use the additional pages at the back of the exam booklet, i'm sure it you'd have enough content marks if you've already filled the original available space.
Original post by LSEMaybe?
Agreed I found it awesome! Once your accustomed to the structure of the exam its quite simply to get a high mark! Sources were rather bizarre though :/

The sources were strange.

Overall, I think it was a decent paper for us. :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by jimjam1997
Your'e joking right?

How did you find it?
Reply 14
Original post by Decerto
The sources were strange.

Overall, I think it was a decent paper for us. :tongue:

What do you guys mean by the sources be 'strange'? Sorry for my confusion, what are the sources normally?
Original post by Miranda98
What do you guys mean by the sources be 'strange'? Sorry for my confusion, what are the sources normally?

I just thought they were a bit strange concerning travellers and backpackers. Luckily, they were quite east though.

Did you do the past paper about that composer?
Reply 16
Original post by Decerto
I just thought they were a bit strange concerning travellers and backpackers. Luckily, they were quite east though.

Did you do the past paper about that composer?

Ah I see and no I haven't, why?
Ah I see and no I haven't, why?

Ugh - it was a dreadful question. I am so glad the exam yesterday was not as difficult or boring.
Reply 18
Original post by Decerto
Ugh - it was a dreadful question. I am so glad the exam yesterday was not as difficult or boring.

I suppose I'm glad! :smile:Thank God it was a letter with a demanding tone, I don't think I could've managed a leaflet on some beach resort or a interview where I'd barely grasp the character's voice.
I suppose I'm glad! :smile:Thank God it was a letter with a demanding tone, I don't think I could've managed a leaflet on some beach resort or a interview where I'd barely grasp the character's voice.

I was so worried that it would be an interview - a form that I was not willing or comfortable to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending