The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
There is a gym at Maiden Castle, fow which you need a sports card.....however, I heard once that only Team Durham people could use it.....is there any truth in this?

There is a pool.....alas it's not a 50m one but a 25m. Apparently a 50m is being built though!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
There are a few public facilities, like swimming pools and I think a gym or two up in Gilesgate. I don't think there are many people who use the college gyms for cardio stuff though, most people just go out for a run. You can really create yourself some tough runs in town, because of the hills and terrain.
Eddie K
There are a few public facilities, like swimming pools and I think a gym or two up in Gilesgate. I don't think there are many people who use the college gyms for cardio stuff though, most people just go out for a run. You can really create yourself some tough runs in town, because of the hills and terrain.

What about a fitness centre? (i am not sure whether gym is the same as a fitness room:confused: ( )
Reply 4
I suppose it depends on what type of gym it is. i.e. for the general public or for Arnie wannabes? :confused:
Eddie K
I suppose it depends on what type of gym it is. i.e. for the general public or for Arnie wannabes? :confused:

hahahahahahaha, i think ill be kicked out of work if i ever laugh so loud again:smile:)))))))))))))))))))))))

mmmmmmmm..:smile: well i guess one where I can develop more muscular mass in my legs , and possibly where I can do two adductor magnus/longus post OP tests...(so a fitness coordinator should be present)
just a fitness room which has a fitness bike, a leg-press-machine and a fitness coach...
Reply 7
College gyms are pretty minimal really and I don't really know much about the uni gym. I heard that you have to pay extra on top of your sports card to use it but I don't know whether thats true or not.

There is as Rach says a public 25m swimming pool. The only public gym in the centre of Durham now really is the one in the Marriott hotel which offers private membership. They do a student membership for about £45 a month I think it is but you can only use the gym in off-peak times ie during the day up to about 4 in the afternoon. Normal membership is about £59 a month but you can use it whenever you like (providing its open!). They have a nice pool there that you can use as well. You can freeze your membership over the hols as well so you only pay £5 a month while you're not using it-if you cancelled it over the hols you'd have to repay a joining fee.
Reply 8
Yes, there's a gym at Maiden Castle (the university sports complex place). It costs students £100 per year to use and has everything you will need: CV and weights. It's where all the top uni athletes train, so it has top notch equipment. I even think it's open to the public, but they have to pay more for membership. I also think that if you want a personalised training programme that you have to pay a fiver more. I intend to join next year as my college gym will be far, far away and it's pretty **** anyway.

About runs in Durham... yes, you can create awesome runs which take you all over the place.
Reply 9
Does Maiden Castle have a website does anyone know? If so, does anyone know the link? Thanks! :smile:

Edit: I mean the Graham Sports Centre. Thanks :smile:
Theres the www.sportdurham.com website and also www.teamdurham.com (but this is more scores). I also found a swimming club, www.duswimming.co.uk

Alex

Latest