The Student Room Group

What do you think of girls who hook up with guys in relationships?

I'm talking about if the girl knows the guy has a girlfriend and still hooks-up with him ranging from either making out or sleeping with him. Do they lack morals? Of course there is no argument that the guy who is cheating is very much in the wrong here, but would the girl be just as bad if she willingly got with a guy with a gf, or does the blame lie squarely on him?

Just interested in what you would think in this scenario and not vice versa.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I think that's wrong, even more so if she knows the girlfriend.
She doesn't have any morals and he's a slimeball for wanting two different girls.
If she knows the gf, then she is a b****
Reply 3
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
She doesn't have any morals and he's a slimeball for wanting two different girls.
If she knows the gf, then she is a b****

Original post by arson_fire
Slags.

Agreed. Though what I don't understand is why people would defend her saying that the guy is at fault here because he is the one who has a gf and thus she isn't in the wrong despite the fact that she knew he had a gf and still got with him.

And wth goes on in these girls minds when they do this?! Is it some twisted form of validation that they can get with guys who are taken?? I mean it's hardly an acheivement since if these guys don't want to remain faithful then it doesn't matter who the girl is - she's just another pretty notch :confused:

Do you reckon these types of girls are more likely to be unfaithful in their own relationships?
Original post by Anonymous
Agreed. Though what I don't understand is why people would defend her saying that the guy is at fault here because he is the one who has a gf and thus she isn't in the wrong despite the fact that she knew he had a gf and still got with him.

And wth goes on in these girls minds when they do this?! Is it some twisted form of validation that they can get with guys who are taken?? I mean it's hardly an acheivement since if these guys don't want to remain faithful then it doesn't matter who the girl is - she's just another pretty notch :confused:

Do you reckon these types of girls are more likely to be unfaithful in their own relationships?

Well I guess it's because the guy is slightly more in the wrong, and because people shouldn't attack girls who don't know that the person they're sleeping with is in a relationship because often that happens.
I do think some girls take pride in the fact that they can steal other girl's guys which makes me really sad and angry :frown: I think often these girls are commitment-phobes
The girl should take a little of the blame, but the guy should take far more in my opinion. While getting with relationshipped people is morally wrong, it's far less morally wrong than cheating yourself in my opinion.
Reply 6
I don't see anything wrong with the third person's behaviour.
I think both are wrong, I don't see one being worse than the other. They both sort of cheated whoever was going out with them. Whether they know the person they betrayed or not, it's still wrong and the person will hurt exactly the same.
If the person with the cheater doesn't know, then you can't really blame them.
If someone cheated on me with a girl that didn't know he was in a relationship, I'd be hurt by her but I wouldn't absolutely hate her the way I'd hate the guy. I hope I'd understand it isn't her fault, but it depends on how angry I'd be :biggrin:
Reply 8
It is often believed, as a defence mechanism, when cheating occurs we blame the person outside the relationship because we deny ourselves that our partner who 'loves' us could do such a thing

It also depends on the situation, whether there was alcohol/drugs involved and whether the people involved know one another :smile:
In general in my school it goes like this, the guy who did it is a legend but the girl is a slag. Not sure why it work's like that but oh well :L
Original post by janicee
I think both are wrong, I don't see one being worse than the other. They both sort of cheated whoever was going out with them. Whether they know the person they betrayed or not, it's still wrong and the person will hurt exactly the same.
If the person with the cheater doesn't know, then you can't really blame them.
If someone cheated on me with a girl that didn't know he was in a relationship, I'd be hurt by her but I wouldn't absolutely hate her the way I'd hate the guy. I hope I'd understand it isn't her fault, but it depends on how angry I'd be :biggrin:

How on earth are they both as wrong? The person who cheated broke a promise to a person whom they claimed to care about/love massively. The other person had casual sex with someone.
EDIT: though I do think it is different if they know the person. There is more of a betrayal then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ABBIE09
It is often believed, as a defence mechanism, when cheating occurs we blame the person outside the relationship because we deny ourselves that our partner who 'loves' us could do such a thing

It also depends on the situation, whether there was alcohol/drugs involved and whether the people involved know one another :smile:

Yeah, I think this is largely the case - people would rather blame a third party rather than the partner who actually betrayed them!
Original post by Anonymous

Because that is the case. She made no promise to not sleep with him, whereas he made a promise to his girlfriend to not sleep with her (or anyone else). She becomes a morally questionable person, but he is 100% the bad person. She really did nothing wrong, apart from being selfish.
I'd guess it is that, the idea that they are 'good' enough for a guy to risk their relationship.
You sound very bitter. Not every person who cheats is a serial cheater.
Original post by joker12345
How on earth are they both as wrong? The person who cheated broke a promise to a person whom they claimed to care about/love massively. The other person had casual sex with someone.
EDIT: though I do think it is different if they know the person. There is more of a betrayal then.

Yeah true, but I guess it's hard because if they person knew they were hurting someone but didn't know that person, but knew the person they were doing it with was in a relationship, then as the cheated person, I'd be disgusted with both of them, even if I didn't know the other. That's a good point though. I meant I'd blame them equally, but would obviously be more betrayed by the person I loved.
If they jolly well know that the other person has another half then they have no morals and are equally at fault with the guy they hook up with.If they hook up with some random guy in a relationship without knowing that the guy is then well its just casual.
Original post by janicee
Yeah true, but I guess it's hard because if they person knew they were hurting someone but didn't know that person, but knew the person they were doing it with was in a relationship, then as the cheated person, I'd be disgusted with both of them, even if I didn't know the other. That's a good point though. I meant I'd blame them equally, but would obviously be more betrayed by the person I loved.

Yeah, I accept that you'd be disgusted with both of them, but it just seems that the person who has cheated has done the wrong and the other is wrong by being accessory to it - so not a good person but not as 'bad' as the cheater.
Reply 16
Original post by joker12345
Yeah, I accept that you'd be disgusted with both of them, but it just seems that the person who has cheated has done the wrong and the other is wrong by being accessory to it - so not a good person but not as 'bad' as the cheater.

Indeed. I've always perceived that 'the other woman' gets virtually the whole blame in these situations, and the guy is viewed as some kind of brainless, sexual being that can't help but take up something that's being offered to him on a plate. It's offensive to everyone.
Original post by TheSweatyNerd
In general in my school it goes like this, the guy who did it is a legend but the girl is a slag. Not sure why it work's like that but oh well :L

"Only one key can open one lock, however if a key can open many locks, then it is a master key.

If a lock can be opened by many keys, then it is a **** lock."

Kind of a crude way to see it, but when you see the "keys" as men and the "locks" as women, it does kind of highlight double standards in society.
Original post by MalteseMalteser
"Only one key can open one lock, however if a key can open many locks, then it is a master key.

If a lock can be opened by many keys, then it is a **** lock."

Kind of a crude way to see it, but when you see the "keys" as men and the "locks" as women, it does kind of highlight double standards in society.

I ****ing hate that saying partly because that's basically how society is and partly because it shouldn't be that way because we're complex human beings not keys and locks.
Original post by brownsugar-xx
I ****ing hate that saying partly because that's basically how society is and partly because it shouldn't be that way because we're complex human beings not keys and locks.

Agreed. I only wrote it though to answer the question that the post that I had quoted. Of course it's more complex, as in a sense there are girls that are "keys" and guys that are "locks".

Hence why I said it shows double standards in society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending