The Student Room Group

should I be increasing my calories?

I've been doing strengthening exercises at the gym for the last four months but not really seen an increase in muscle tone. If I want to gain muscle but lose a bit of fat from my waist/stomach area should I increase my calories?
I tend to gain weight first round my middle, so I'm worried if I up my calories instead of building muscle, I will get a fat stomach. I currently eat about 2000 calories per day, sometimes a bit more. I am 5 foot 4 and weigh 7 stone 4.
It's mainly my bum and thighs that I want to tone as I have skinny legs with not a lot of definition.
I would appreciate any advice.

Scroll to see replies

What were the "strengthening" exercises? I'm assuming not actually lifting weights?
Generally what you're trying to wouldn't be possible natural however as you're newer to lifting then you need to focus on the compound exercises and eat just above maintenance. As you're not noticing any difference then I'd suggest raising calories by 200 and see how that goes but 2200 should be fine for your height. What're your macros?

Squats will be your main friend here.
Original post by keturah
I've been doing strengthening exercises at the gym for the last four months but not really seen an increase in muscle tone. If I want to gain muscle but lose a bit of fat from my waist/stomach area should I increase my calories?
I tend to gain weight first round my middle, so I'm worried if I up my calories instead of building muscle, I will get a fat stomach. I currently eat about 2000 calories per day, sometimes a bit more. I am 5 foot 4 and weigh 7 stone 4.
It's mainly my bum and thighs that I want to tone as I have skinny legs with not a lot of definition.

Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is often difficult.

You need to look to doing cardio (preferably high intensity interval training to really shred away that fat) 2/3 times a week and keeping a tight knot on your diet. Make sure your diet is balanced and nutrient dense - some people might say go for the low carb diet and focus on the proteins and fats. I think low carb diets are evil. I'm Chinese and I love my rice.

Make sure you have the appropriate amount of protein intake (preferably from wholefoods - fruit and nut milkshakes work a treat).

If you're not seeing any gains in 4 months of doing strengthening exercises in the gym, then you might be doing something wrong.

What exercises are you currently doing?
Reply 3
Original post by keturah

Building muscle and losing weight is so hard! Id suggest you focus on one. Id advice you to up your calorie intake to around 2200-2300 and also up your training make sure you're hitting good sets and reps. As for wanting to lose fat on midsection- this is the most question I get asked, well you cannot just lose 'fat' from their you have to lose it from your whole body so when you're happy with your muscle mass start to do cardio nothing fancy just a stair master - works wonders. Any questions pm me!
Reply 4
Original post by Universityofme
What were the "strengthening" exercises? I'm assuming not actually lifting weights?
Generally what you're trying to wouldn't be possible natural however as you're newer to lifting then you need to focus on the compound exercises and eat just above maintenance. As you're not noticing any difference then I'd suggest raising calories by 200 and see how that goes but 2200 should be fine for your height. What're your macros?

Squats will be your main friend here.

I've been doing chin up machine, shoulder press, squat/leg press machine, leg extension s. I don't know names of others so I'll just describe them lol. One where you're sort of leant over and lift the weight behind you with one leg and one where you're on sitting and push the weights outwards with your legs.
I'll try increasing to 2200 then.
I haven't been monitoring them exactly I just try to have 3 main meals and 3 small meals which all have protein and low gi carbs.
Your best bet will probably be the Insanity workout. Do that and also figure out your macronutrient breakdown using an online calculator. Do this to figure out how many proteins, fats, and carbs you need to reach your specific goal. Leave a pos rep if this was useful and let me know if you need me to elaborate on anything. :-)
Reply 6
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is often difficult.

You need to look to doing cardio (preferably high intensity interval training to really shred away that fat) 2/3 times a week and keeping a tight knot on your diet. Make sure your diet is balanced and nutrient dense - some people might say go for the low carb diet and focus on the proteins and fats. I think low carb diets are evil. I'm Chinese and I love my rice.

Make sure you have the appropriate amount of protein intake (preferably from wholefoods - fruit and nut milkshakes work a treat).

If you're not seeing any gains in 4 months of doing strengthening exercises in the gym, then you might be doing something wrong.

What exercises are you currently doing?

Thanks for replying. So if I do the high intensity interval training that shouldn't stop me from still building muscle? I eat healthily and go to the gym 5 times a week but I think I look slightly skinny fat. I would put up a photo to show what I mean bit don't want insults lol.
Reply 7
Original post by Aaqibfarooq
Your best bet will probably be the Insanity workout. Do that and also figure out your macronutrient breakdown using an online calculator. Do this to figure out how many proteins, fats, and carbs you need to reach your specific goal. Leave a pos rep if this was useful and let me know if you need me to elaborate on anything. :-)

Will rep later I'm all out lol, but yes was helpful
Original post by keturah
Will rep later I'm all out lol, but yes was helpful

Thanks. After completing the Insanity workout, I've been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 routine. It won't make you bulky, it'll make you more toned. Definitely check that out too.
Reply 9
Original post by keturah
I've been doing chin up machine, shoulder press, squat/leg press machine, leg extension s. I don't know names of others so I'll just describe them lol. One where you're sort of leant over and lift the weight behind you with one leg and one where you're on sitting and push the weights outwards with your legs.
I'll try increasing to 2200 then.
I haven't been monitoring them exactly I just try to have 3 main meals and 3 small meals which all have protein and low gi carbs.

None of these will actually help you to get stronger and add muscle. Machines have a very specific use for a very narrow range of people.

You and 99% of the people in the gym have no use for them.

Doing progressively heavier weights on the compound lifts will get you stronger, grow bigger muscles and they burn off a huge amount of calories.

These are squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press.

Learn the technique for these.

Secondly, you need a correct program. Too many people go in the gym and just think 'Oh I'll do shoulders or something today'.

This will get you nowhere. You need a systematic program which will result in you knowing exactly which exercises you are going to do and what weight.

Google 'linear progression programs' and this will take the explanation further.
Reply 10
Original post by Molts
None of these will actually help you to get stronger and add muscle. Machines have a very specific use for a very narrow range of people.

You and 99% of the people in the gym have no use for them.

Doing progressively heavier weights on the compound lifts will get you stronger, grow bigger muscles and they burn off a huge amount of calories.

These are squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press.

Learn the technique for these.

Secondly, you need a correct program. Too many people go in the gym and just think 'Oh I'll do shoulders or something today'.

This will get you nowhere. You need a systematic program which will result in you knowing exactly which exercises you are going to do and what weight.

Google 'linear progression programs' and this will take the explanation further.

Thanks this is very helpful. I'm googling it now :smile:
What weight would you recommend starting lifting for the exercises you suggested?
Reply 11
Original post by keturah
Thanks this is very helpful. I'm googling it now :smile:
What weight would you recommend starting lifting for the exercises you suggested?

Well your very first training day would be a 'unique' one in the sense that your warm up will actually be the way you will find your weight for the work sets.

So lets say you are squatting. You start with the empty bar (Always do regardless of how much you squat).

You watch your technique and you do a full set. If your technique falters or you struggle to finish the last rep then that minus a few kg will be your work set.

Empty bar is easy? Good. Add weight.

Keep adding weight until it becomes difficult in the last rep of the set.

Eg: You work up to 40kg, and you find that on the 5th rep you are really struggling then you should come down lets say 5kg. All your work sets for this training day will be at 35kg.

EDIT: So it would be something like this.

Bar (20kg) > 25kg >30kg >35kg >40kg (technique breaks down last rep/or you cant lift it) > back to 35 kg. 35kg is your starting point.

Then 35 kg would be your starting weight. All other training days you should know exactly what your work set will be, so you just warm up to it and do it.

Then the next training day you increase that weight. Lets say Monday you were squatting 50 kg, Wednesday you will be squatting 55kg.

The rate you increase by will be different for everyone. However expect that at the beginning you will find it easy and increase by 5kg and even 10kg. Then slowly over time the rate of increase falls to 2.5kg or 1.25 kg each training day.

Always make sure you are increasing. Be hesitant to add too much weight, be on the conservative side when you have a decision between 5kg or 10kg. Moving slowly has no negative effects, but jumping to much will result in a stall and you will just get stuck.

As you may have heard before, strength training is a marathon not a sprint.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Molts

Complete nonsense.

I agree with everything else you have written but I this opening line is definitely wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Find the strongest guy in the gym and ask him what to do.
Original post by keturah

A) You cannot gain muscle and lose fat.

B) You have a BMI of 17.5. That is low already, so I don't really think you have that much fat on you.

C) Get my Fitness Pal and accurately track your calorie intake every day. Make sure it hits 2000 a day before you increase it to more.

D) Like the poster above said, do compound exercises. Squats, Deadlifts and etc. Just to warn you, some guys might harass you but ignore them anyway.
Reply 15
Original post by SEHughes
Find the strongest guy in the gym and ask him what to do.

Ha I don't think he would appreciate having his workout interrupted.
Reply 16
Original post by DorianGrayism

B) You have a BMI of 17.5. That is low already, so I don't really think you have that much fat on you.

C) Get my Fitness Pal and accurately track your calorie intake every day. Make sure it hits 2000 a day before you increase it to more.

D) Like the poster above said, do compound exercises. Squats, Deadlifts and etc. Just to warn you, some guys might harass you but ignore them anyway.

Yeah I have hardly any fat except my stomach and waist. Which is annoying as I wouldn't mind more fat everywhere else but want a smaller waist.
Harass because not a lot if women lift toy mean?
Original post by keturah
Ha I don't think he would appreciate having his workout interrupted.

Biggest myth in the gym.
Reply 18
Complete nonsense.

I agree with everything else you have written but I this opening line is definitely wrong.

I knew this might be controversial, but let me clear up what I meant.

Yes machines are useful and you can get stronger/grow bigger muscles from them. However this is useful for only a small portion of people. These people would be ones who have maxed out their novice and intermediate gains in terms of rate of adaptation.

Bodybuilders need to isolate to get that extra stress on a specific muscle to break homeostasis for hypertrophy. They need this since they are already 'advanced' in terms of adaption, and they need ever more stress to a particular muscle for it to grow.

In terms of getting stronger, ie for people that do Olympic weightlifting/powerlifting or need strength for their sport machines have little application. No one part of the body works in isolation so there is no point doing this on a machine. However machines are useful for assistance exercises in order to perhaps get rid of an imbalance or create extra hypertrophy in order to protect joints and ligaments.

But they should used for assistance exercises only, they are not a replacement for the main lifts. The OP was using machines as a basis of her program and not real lifts. You see too many people doing some weird exercises with dumbbells and isolate or only use machines and then complain they are not getting bigger after a while.

Now for people who have not used up their 'novice' gains in terms of adaptation, machines will do very little in comparison to the big compound lifts, so it would be a waste of time and body resources to put in work with machines at this very early stage.

Yes if you never have been in the gym before you can do any ****ty routine/exercise and use machines. You get away with not sleeping at all and have a ****ty diet and you will grow and get stronger. This will only last for a very very short while. Its because your body is so unadapted to the work put on it, it will quickly aim to adapt and therefore you get stronger/bigger muscles.

Complete nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest