The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Hearing from Accomodation for King's College

I've applied to King's College starting in September and I've sent off my application for accomodation, I did it back in March and I still haven't heard anything of it.

On the other hand, my sister, who is applying for a university outside London, has her room ready and deposit paid for already and she applied at the same time as me.

Do they wait till after the 30th June deadline before responding to applicants or something? Any information that may enlighten me would be greatly appreciated

I am a conditional offer holder and have accepted them as my firm choice
My brother also applied for accommodation at KCL back in March/April and hasn't heard anything yet, so hopefully it's normal procedure.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Everyone finds out after results day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by mannyq95
Everyone finds out after results day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant! Thankyou :smile:
Im fairly sure I read that the majority of the people find out on the 14th of August.. so still a wait to go :frown:
I read somewhere that we hear back in August. Which I think is completely ridiculous because it means we have only a couple of weeks to find somewhere else to live if we don't get into our choice of accommodation. Really poor system imo.
Reply 6
Original post by Carpe Vinum
I read somewhere that we hear back in August. Which I think is completely ridiculous because it means we have only a couple of weeks to find somewhere else to live if we don't get into our choice of accommodation. Really poor system imo.

They'll put you somewhere else if you didn't get your first choice so I don't see why that would be necessary? :confused:
Original post by NiallD
They'll put you somewhere else if you didn't get your first choice so I don't see why that would be necessary? :confused:

Well because the ones I've put further down the choice list are further away from my campus, which will mean commuting. And they're still just as expensive, so I'd be paying for transport on top of the extortionate prices for halls. So I'd rather find a room in a flat/house share which is cheaper and closer than staying in halls far away from my campus.
Original post by Carpe Vinum

It's standard at most universities not to allocate rooms until they know who is definitely going to that university. No point allocating someone a room if it turns out they haven't got in.
Reply 9
Help, anyone!
Does anyone know how they select places? Do they wait till 30 june then do their random computer allocation thingy for everyone? Or as they go along? Also when I started selecting mine in order of preference not all the accommodation buildings were listed?
They will wait until the 30th June before starting their allocation since anyone who applies after this date will be considered of "Lower Priority" through a random allocation system. They will then start giving places out to people during the weeks between the release of A Level results and 1st September which is why we haven't heard from them yet (I was wondering that too and got a little worried).
About the missing accommodation buildings whilst selecting preference, i'm not entirely sure but some buildings might not open in 2014 due to refurbishments or it might still be under construction or its just a bug in the system. Either way you can still change your order of preference after you've submitted the application because it hasn't gone into the system yet (I changed my number 1 from Stamford to Moonraker Point :tongue:)
More information is available on their accommodation brochure on their website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/applying/allocation.aspx
Reply 11
how did you change your preference? i am totally regretting my choices! please help :smile: xox
Reply 12
Does anyone know how to transport groceries to Kings' Aberdeen campus King's Hall kitchens? I selected Hillhead at the Abdn Student Village for this reason but am worried that I won't be able to find a bike to get to campus in any reasonable time. Or are the hillsides and fens there so damned scenic that the morning hour walk is enjoyable?
Reply 13
I was accepted as a postgraduate taught student and the accommodation process is taking longer than I expected it would. I applied to Hillhead b/c I didn't understand how the kitchens of King's at my Aberdeen campus would ha'e food transported to them for self-catering. I suppose I should check if there's a grocer(y) on campus but also look into transport from Hillhead student village to the university campus. Trying, as well, to put down the deposit to secure my accomodation before the deadline in August, and I don't know if it's a 1st come 1st serve basis? Didn't even see floorplans but maybe they don't do it that way.

Any notes?
Reply 14
Original post by mmkstarr
I was accepted as a postgraduate taught student and the accommodation process is taking longer than I expected it would. I applied to Hillhead b/c I didn't understand how the kitchens of King's at my Aberdeen campus would ha'e food transported to them for self-catering. I suppose I should check if there's a grocer(y) on campus but also look into transport from Hillhead student village to the university campus. Trying, as well, to put down the deposit to secure my accomodation before the deadline in August, and I don't know if it's a 1st come 1st serve basis? Didn't even see floorplans but maybe they don't do it that way.

Any notes?

This is the king college London thread I believe you've got the wrong sub forum ? Haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mmkstarr

Any notes?

Yes you do have the wrong forum, this is for Kings College London. However the whole point of self catered food is that you buy and cook it yourself- its cheaper this way. You either go out to a supermarket and buy it or you get a delivery to the halls. Campus grocery stores tend to be more expensive especially as they are smaller and offer less choice.
Original post by EllenO
how did you change your preference? i am totally regretting my choices! please help :smile: xox

I've changed my preferences a few times, all you need to do is log into the accommodation application portal and from there, bring up your existing application (I presume undergraduate) and then you can add further choices or use the UP/Down arrows next to your existing choices to move them up or down your preference list. Don't forget to save your updated application or you will lose the changes that you have made

Quick Reply

Latest