The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Stuff in kitchen?

I've been advised not to take loads of kitchen stuff with me, but to wait til I see what's there, and what the people I'm sharing with have brought (no sense in having about 10 saucepans). But I'm really not sure what to do about this...

I mean, should I be very minimalist, and just take knifes, forks, plates, and one saucepan. But then, if everyone else did that too, I'd be without all the other essential items...

Plus I doubt many other people cook as much as I do, so chopping boards, whisks and stuff might be useful.

Also, how feasible do you think it is to bring a food processor? I know there won't be much room... But I plan on living on falafel, as they are cheap, filling and healthy, and I need a food processor to make them.

Basically, what's everyone else bringing/what would other students advise?

Scroll to see replies

hmm good question actually - i need to know too!
my mum bought me 3 saucepans, all are different sizes but i haven't bought anything else as of yet. i might take some plates, mugs & knives, forks, spoons etc too.
i'm not sure about kettles/toasters/food processors either - are they already in the kitchens or do we have to buy one?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
If you look on the checklist for your accommodation building on the warwick website it'll tell you what the kitchen already has. I guess if your staple food that you're going to rely on requires a food processor you don't have much choice but to take it, im sure people in your kitchen would appreciate using it! :smile:

I've not even started thinking about this stuff yet, it'll be a weekend before manic rush and what i forget i'll live without i guess.
Reply 3
I have always taken a frying pan, 2 saucepans, sharp knife and chopping board, casserole dish with lid (can use the lid instead of oven trays) a fish slice and a potato masher (mashed potato is my staple food :P) Then obv a couple of plates, bowls, cups, cutlery. That's all and I cook loads.
Reply 4
Is it better to buy the pots and pans before you go then? Because what a hassle it would be flying with lot of kitchenware....
Don't they have special kitchenware sale at the beginning of term for freshers?
Reply 5
em... i plan to buy them all from tesco...
i wont bring any to warwick
Since I'll be flying in to Heathrow, and then taking the coach to the university, it'll be a major hassle if I bring in unnecessarily heavy baggage - hence, I'll probably buy stuff there... I'm just praying that there'll be a sale somewhere so that I can buy kitchen items for a reasonable price.
Reply 7
I dont care what they have there. Im quite funny at food hygiene, and so i'l be using my own stuff.

I'm taking - a chopping board, frying pan, large saucepan, small saucepan, casserole dish, sharp knife, couple of plates, bowls, small plates and cutlery

To the poster above^^ Go to tesco... if you pick up the cheap tesco value plates and cutlery etc (which by the way will be fine for uni use), its pretty cheap for everything you need.

Does anyone know what happens with cupboards and fridge? Do we get a whole cupboar and a shelf in the fridge and reezer as at most unis? Or is s different?
Reply 8
It would be easier in some ways to buy stuff when I get there, instead of having to pack and bring it all. But that would mean spending money, rather than just scrounging plates, bowls, mugs, saucepans etc from home.

I think all I'll need to buy is a casserole dish then. And a coffee filter.
Reply 9
There's a Tesco for cheap cooking stuff, or there's Wilkinson, which I've used on many an occasion to buy cake tins, baking trays and other stuff I've forgotten to bring! I think the chaplaincy sells cooking stuff at the beginning of the first term very cheaply. If you're having to travel light to uni I'd recommend just buying it all once you've arrived. My sisters still had all the stuff they took to uni though so I took all that :smile:

As for cupboards and fridges - it depends what halls you're in, and when you arrive. I had 2 cupboards and a drawer, I think most people in our kitchen (New Rootes) had a couple of cupboards. The ones under the sinks were also general 'we can't be bothered to wash up' cupboards. Speaking of which - a washing up bowl is very useful, you can just chuck stuff in it if you're in a hurry and keep it in a cupboard! Saves cleaners getting annoyed and throwing dirty stuff away. Generally also get a shelf in the fridge each, but I think a few people had to share. Freezer was just a case of finding room, about 2 people to a drawer.
Reply 10
Hey,
There are kettles and toasters in the kitchens. If you wanted to bring a food processor you could do, but you'd have to find space to keep it! I bought a toastie maker which was useful. Tesco's is good for buying extra utensils etc, but it does run out of lots of things at the start of term! Another tip would be to buy cutlery which is coloured as loads of people lost it in my halls! As for space, it does depend on the halls. Cryfield was mad for the first term, but after that we managed to split the space more evenly.
Reply 11
mysteria
Is it better to buy the pots and pans before you go then? Because what a hassle it would be flying with lot of kitchenware....
Don't they have special kitchenware sale at the beginning of term for freshers?

There's a pots n pans sale yes, I think in the Chaplaincy, but I've just never gone in. I will this time tho...last chance (finalist)!

Dude I hope you weren't seriously thinking about wasting precious luggage space on kitchenware from HK...haha!! (BUT it's well worth taking small kitchen gadgets that you can only find back home)

Travelling light is the way to go!
Reply 12
ill definately be taking my personal mug which no one else will be allowed to use!!!!
Reply 13
judi_lover
ill definately be taking my personal mug which no one else will be allowed to use!!!!

I'll bet you someone has used it within a day (or 3 hours if your i Rootes)!:smile:
Reply 14
To be honest, I think the chances of you persuading someone else who's brought a saucepan with them to let you use it for the whole year are minimal - lovely idea but just doesn't happen! But as other people have said, no need to bring it all with you if you're travelling from far away cos you can buy everything you need pretty cheaply once you get there. Plates, bowls, cutlery, glasses/mugs, saucepan are all pretty much essential but it kind of depends what you cook - if you live off frozen food then a 99p oven tray from Tesco will do you nicely but if you like making you're own food (like me :smile:) then try and work out what you'll actually use before just grabbing all your mother's kitchen utensils. If you live nearby (i.e. within the UK) then trying to steal kitchen stuff off family (does every house have a selection of saucepans in the attic or is it just mine?!) is a great way of saving money, even if it does mean you have to find room for an extra box of stuff in the car.
Jenn xx
Reply 15
i would be bringing a cooker and a pan...and plates the cutlery...
cooker is available in the accomodation kitchens...
i think cutlery is enough
Reply 16
Save time and money - eat with your fingers!
Reply 17
Take a frying pan and a small and large saucepan. 2 or 3 sets of general crockery (plates, bowls etc) some cutlery as well...
Colander is pretty handy! (did I spell that right?... hmm) as is a spatula and wooden spoon. Chopping board and a sharp knife as well!! And its always really nice if someone brings a draining board cos they dont supply one. But thats better to wait till term starts as theres no point having 2 or 3!
Reply 18
God im used to having my own house! I have a kitchen full of stuff which is all mine! But i have to leave it all for my boyfriend when i come, so im going to be lost without my gadgets. what am i going to do with just a shelf and a cupboard!?

ARGH!
do we have to have food shopping which will last us a week or two before we get to Warwick, or shall we just go to Tescos as soon as we're there?

Latest