The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield hallam accommodation!!

Heyy, i am just about to set sheffield hallam as my firm choice!! But i have no idea what accommodation to choose?!? Does anyone know what the best accommodation to go for?!
Reply 1
I've put Sheffield Hallam as my firm also, I've chosen Central Quay as it looks like a decent place with plenty of space and when i went and looked around the staff were really nice and they also mentioned when students move in that we kinda have like a little party and have pizza and live bands etc which again sorta sealed the deal for me :smile: Hope this helps, what are you studying out of curiosity?
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by CharliP0P
I've put Sheffield Hallam as my firm also, I've chosen Central Quay as it looks like a decent place with plenty of space and when i went and looked around the staff were really nice and they also mentioned when students move in that we kinda have like a little party and have pizza and live bands etc which again sorta sealed the deal for me :smile: Hope this helps, what are you studying out of curiosity?

Ooh i liked the look of central quay from the internet!?! But i also like pinnacles and Victoria halls?!? I'm sooooo stuck🙈 ermm I'm doing interior design?! Youu??
Reply 3
I've applied for forge and devonshire courtyard. still not heard anything back yet
Reply 4
im doing a foundation degree in bioscience and chemistry and then moving on to do forensic science, i contacted UNITE direct and booked with them rather than going through the uni, if you've got facebook message me, we can chat and what not want to get to know some people before i go :smile:
Reply 5
I dont think you find out your actual accommodation until results dayy?! Ooooh that sounds tricky!! Yeahh of course, what's your name I'll add you?!?
Reply 6
Charli knaggs on facebook :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by CharliP0P

Central Quay is in the middle of nowhere mate! if ur at City campus its a sub-par choice and if ur at Collegiate then PSHHH forget about it. The halls themselves are nice but there's literally no nearby halls to you other that the Pinnacles which is like 15 minutes away.
Reply 8
Original post by Joel.m
Heyy, i am just about to set sheffield hallam as my firm choice!! But i have no idea what accommodation to choose?!? Does anyone know what the best accommodation to go for?!

Im at the Forge now and It's been one hell of a year, the Forge is the biggest set of halls in Sheffield and one of the 5 biggest in the whole UK with over 1,300 rooms. It's kinda expensive but the location is just perfect.

Outside there's an Aldi for ur groceries, a Sainsburies for ur booze and a Wilkinsons for everything else, along with a buttload of takeaways on the adjacent London Road.

but if you want to broaden your horizons this is how I break down the Halls:

Best halls all around (most expensive too): Victoria
Best halls for social community: THE FORGE
Best value for money: Leadmill Point
Best for the lazy-walker (city campus) Exchange Works
Best for the KFC lover: Charlotte Court

also here's some honourable mentions:

The pinnacles.... comes with some nice ammenities (free kitchen TV and TWO fridges, leather couches as well), however it's a 45 minute walk from Collegiate campus and about 10ish from city. The rooms are pretty spacious. If ur lucky u'll get put on on the 8th floor, What a view!!

Opal 1..... (yes there IS an opal 2 but it's for uni of) this place is great.. great location.. very central but not TOO far from the collegiate campus, kitchens are bleak but the room you get is proper nice and the bathroom is pretty like the pinnacles.

Devonshire courtyard: this is sandwiched between Opal 1 and Victoria but it's not as pretty. Nonetheless the rent is cheaper and it's still like 5 minutes from all the hotspots in the city centre.

Trigon: Not a bad choice but not an exceptional one.. I mean £95/week for a single bed are u mad? The location is very unique, it's very close to the train station AND the city centre but tucked away on a seemingly quiet corner of the ringroad giving it a cozy vibe.

Park student Village: Not really Halls but a collection of nice student houses, it's bloody far from both the city AND collegiate campuses but the value for moeny is INSANE, you get mad wifi, double bed, big room, laundry, TV in your room all for like £85/ week. Lots of fresher's about too.

If I was gonna live in halls for second year I'd choose the Forge man, the parties here go OFF and the rent doesn't matter when I get my groceries for free (close to free anyway at Aldi) only reason I'm moving on to a house is because the Laundry system is better and the showers at the forge aren't real showers they just spray mist at you.

also here's some places to avoid:

Phoenix Court: my mate told me the horror stories. I don't care if they offer you £10/week rent DONT DO THAT TO YOURSELF!

Central Quay: In the middle of nowhere, you'll make friends on your course but there's no way they'll live anywhere near you so get ready for some trekks! (also in a dodgy part of town)

the Anvil: very boring environment... I've never been inside but it looks grim enough from the outside, it's pretty much surrounded by suburbia there's no stundent village vibes about like there is with the forge and the victoria/opal/devonshire area.
Reply 9
Original post by Joel.m
Ooh i liked the look of central quay from the internet!?! But i also like pinnacles and Victoria halls?!? I'm sooooo stuck������ ermm I'm doing interior design?! Youu??

vicoria's the best out of those three but it's pricey... if you don't mind the rent then go there for sure! when your mates visit from other halls they're gonna say "DAYUUUUUM" like I did when I first went inside
Im not arsed about the distance, i can walk, i have a car so im not bothered :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by gijops
Im at the Forge now and It's been one hell of a year, the Forge is the biggest set of halls in Sheffield and one of the 5 biggest in the whole UK with over 1,300 rooms. It's kinda expensive but the location is just perfect.

Outside there's an Aldi for ur groceries, a Sainsburies for ur booze and a Wilkinsons for everything else, along with a buttload of takeaways on the adjacent London Road.

but if you want to broaden your horizons this is how I break down the Halls:

Best halls all around (most expensive too): Victoria
Best halls for social community: THE FORGE
Best value for money: Leadmill Point
Best for the lazy-walker (city campus) Exchange Works
Best for the KFC lover: Charlotte Court

also here's some honourable mentions:

The pinnacles.... comes with some nice ammenities (free kitchen TV and TWO fridges, leather couches as well), however it's a 45 minute walk from Collegiate campus and about 10ish from city. The rooms are pretty spacious. If ur lucky u'll get put on on the 8th floor, What a view!!

Opal 1..... (yes there IS an opal 2 but it's for uni of) this place is great.. great location.. very central but not TOO far from the collegiate campus, kitchens are bleak but the room you get is proper nice and the bathroom is pretty like the pinnacles.

Devonshire courtyard: this is sandwiched between Opal 1 and Victoria but it's not as pretty. Nonetheless the rent is cheaper and it's still like 5 minutes from all the hotspots in the city centre.

Trigon: Not a bad choice but not an exceptional one.. I mean £95/week for a single bed are u mad? The location is very unique, it's very close to the train station AND the city centre but tucked away on a seemingly quiet corner of the ringroad giving it a cozy vibe.

Park student Village: Not really Halls but a collection of nice student houses, it's bloody far from both the city AND collegiate campuses but the value for moeny is INSANE, you get mad wifi, double bed, big room, laundry, TV in your room all for like £85/ week. Lots of fresher's about too.

If I was gonna live in halls for second year I'd choose the Forge man, the parties here go OFF and the rent doesn't matter when I get my groceries for free (close to free anyway at Aldi) only reason I'm moving on to a house is because the Laundry system is better and the showers at the forge aren't real showers they just spray mist at you.

also here's some places to avoid:

Phoenix Court: my mate told me the horror stories. I don't care if they offer you £10/week rent DONT DO THAT TO YOURSELF!

Central Quay: In the middle of nowhere, you'll make friends on your course but there's no way they'll live anywhere near you so get ready for some trekks! (also in a dodgy part of town)

the Anvil: very boring environment... I've never been inside but it looks grim enough from the outside, it's pretty much surrounded by suburbia there's no stundent village vibes about like there is with the forge and the victoria/opal/devonshire area.

Ohhhh, is the pinnacles a good place to go it is it too far out?!? And what other place would you suggest only because Victoria halls is now booked up and i think the forge nearly is as wel!!?!
Reply 12
Original post by Joel.m
Ohhhh, is the pinnacles a good place to go it is it too far out?!? And what other place would you suggest only because Victoria halls is now booked up and i think the forge nearly is as wel!!?!

the Pinnacles is like 10 mins from city campus so if your doing a course like art/media/engineering then you'll be fine for lectures and whatnot. It's also the same distance from the city's nightlife.... my only 2 main objections are:
1) the only shop within spitting distance is a Londis, which is okay for bits and bobs but you can't get a whole load of groceries from anywhere closer than a 10 minute walk.

2) The security rules are quite strict... I know a girl who got fined 60 quid for letting her mate use her key while she visited her from home (on her birthday too lol) and apparently ganja is an absolute no-no so bear that in mind.

The Forge doesn't suffer from either of these, they give you 3 strikes (kind of) when it comes to naughty party herbs and you don't have to go far to buy anything really :smile:

other places worth considering are: Opal 1, Devonshire Court, Exchange works and maybe the Trigon
(edited 9 years ago)
I have applied for the forge and trigon as they are supposed to be really good :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by beccywhiteside
I have applied for the forge and trigon as they are supposed to be really good :smile:

aha i applied for the same ones :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending