The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LSE might be a bit tough. Durham you could have a good bash at, particularly with a good LNAT, PS and tutor reference. Kings shouldn't be a problem- their standard offer is AAB, which you are surely well on track for. AABB doesn't mean you won't get AAA at A2- far from it, and all these unis should know that! Nothing to worry about, and congratulations!
Yea I agree, I have a friend who works the lines for ppl who just slipped one grade at Nottm and this year they were sending people away from law with AAB cos they had so many AAAs!! Certain departments are just really pompous, and the law dept at Nottm is way up there because the rest of the uni isnt particularly difficult to get into, BCC for physics etc for instance.
howdypartner
Hey i got my as results today of aabb, however i will still be predicted aaa, what universities would this get me into for law, obviously a lot depends on the personal statement but what are my chances for places like Durham, Kings, LSE etc?

Your AS results are fine and its particularly good that you are prediceted AAA at A-level. However the fact remain, that at the universities that you stated, a lot of people are going to be in the same position as you.

A Personal Statement isn't that vital a part of the admissions process. Think about it. All these people applying to all these top universities everybody's Personal Statement is going to be great because its going to have been checked through regularly, drafted several times and lots of people would have helped the applicant on it. On the other hand, an applicant's academic history to date is going to be more telling. Therefore you should have a good GCSE performance as well.

phil_m88
LSE might be a bit tough.

How come people regard admissions for LSE more tough than UCL and Durham?
Not sure why this is the case.
For the latter two universities you will be required to sit the LNAT, not so for the former.
Reply 4
from my experience, UCL is tougher than LSE for Law..because they use your LNAT score and essay as part of your application. I got a 17 in my LNAT, and got rejected from UCL, but got accepted by LSE. Durham is actually pretty easy to get in if you hav solid grades...their standard offer is AAA, but they will lower it down to even ABC if your personal statement and academic backgroud is good. LSE and UCL will normally offer AAA regardless, but Kings wud be possible wit your grades. But anyway, you still hav one year to work on getting AAA, which isnt a huge mountain to climb wit your current AS grades..so good luck!
Yeah 17 isnt a great LNAT score, the average is like 16.7 or something isnt it? LSE dont use the LNAT do they not? Thats surprising, I would have thought they would!! They all will soon enough (or have their own equivalent anyway). Congrats on LSE, im sure youll have a great time even though the costs may bankrupt you offaccom etc there!
Reply 6
Also are Maths, Government and Politics and Business Studies "strong enough" subjects?
Reply 7
the LNAT average varies..but it usually hovers around the 16 mark. so yeh..hahaha..17...isnt great..slightly above average...but not exceptional..so UCL rejection was expected. the main reason why i was sort of bummed dat i dint make it into UCL was because...i cudnt go to the same uni as coldplay..HAHA. oh well..LSE..still in london. thanks.

Originally Posted by howdypartner
Also are Maths, Government and Politics and Business Studies "strong enough" subjects?

you mean as A Level subjects? well it really depends on the uni you apply to...some unis can accept it and some may see it as a weak combination for law. maths is excellent for law...most unis see it as a requirement. it wud by good if you had a linguistic subject, but not essential. Maths, Government and Politics are fine...im not too sure abt Business Studies tho...but i think you better check the unis you wanna apply to..i mean wit King's dat combination shud be fine, but it really does depend.
i'll give you a head start...check this out: http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2007/howToApply.htm#generated-subheading5
Yea, id much rather attend LSE than UCL anyway!! Its reputation worldwide it superior and in my opinion its a better school.

Yea, maths is great (i have it after all, with nearly full marks :biggrin:), dont know whats in govt and politics but i wouuld never have taken it... history is probably better, business may be your down fall but again I haveno idea whats involved so I can hardly comment ... all I know is that we skit ppl who do such degrees for being thick lol. Go and get a job, dont come to uni to learn management, imo this should be learnt on the job. Its like management consultancy, how can a graduate go into this ... imo yous hould need like 20+ yrs management experience to do it. also, if you abolished consultancy all the best ppl would be managers, it is my belief that bad workers are caused by bad management, and since all the best earn far more via consultancy thats where they are!! Abolish consultancy and we would have far better workforce, rant over :biggrin:. Not sure how i got there...
Reply 9
howdypartner

Maths and Govt and Politics are absolutly totally fine, and uni's will see them as equal to any other academic subjects you could have picked. Business Studies could be a bit of a problem though. Btw I have just finished my A level in Govt and Politics, and I have got to say...it helps SOO much for Law, the two subjects go perfectly hand in hand.
Loafer
Maths and Govt and Politics are absolutly totally fine, and uni's will see them as equal to any other academic subjects you could have picked.

I wouln't have thought that myself, but LuverlyLawyer studied Law at Bristol University and that was on of the subjects that she got an "A" grade in at A-level.
Reply 11
superdillon
I wouln't have thought that myself, but LuverlyLawyer studied Law at Bristol University and that was on of the subjects that she got an "A" grade in at A-level.

Well no university officialy lists Govt and Politics as a "micky mouse" subject. I got offers from Nottingham and KCL with an A level in it. In fact, when I rang Nottingham prior to applying they told me that all my other A level subjects were perfectly fine, BUT they really didnt like the fact that I was studying A level Law and that I must get a really good LNAT score to make up for it.
Loafer
BUT they really didnt like the fact that I was studying A level Law and that I must get a really good LNAT score to make up for it.

They said that? Don't suppose they stated what a really good LNAT score would be did they?
Yea they dont really like a level law at Nottm, they prefer to teach you from scratch as they think it makes too many ppl "know it alls" and stuff like that... also i know plenty of ppl who dont study law degree but did a level and they reckon they know all the stuff we did in the same detail, but it doesnt take me long to shame them when debate starts.
Reply 14
superdillon
They said that? Don't suppose they stated what a really good LNAT score would be did they?

Yeah, the lady on the phone said that. Its also on LSE's black list. I got 18 on the LNAT, but I consider myself very fortunate to have got an offer. I highly doubt I would have got an offer had I got any less than 18.
superdillon
A Personal Statement isn't that vital a part of the admissions process. Think about it. All these people applying to all these top universities everybody's Personal Statement is going to be great because its going to have been checked through regularly, drafted several times and lots of people would have helped the applicant on it.

That might be true in some places, but my school gave no individual help at all with writing personal statements. I was lucky in that I can write good English and have parents who were able to help, but some of my friends just had to do their best themselves. That's probably partly why some unis are now factoring the type of school attended into their admissions processes!
Yup, private schools pride themselves on how many ppl they send to oxbridge, so invest heavily in helping with personal statements etc. Comps dont as a general rule.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Yup, private schools pride themselves on how many ppl they send to oxbridge, so invest heavily in helping with personal statements etc. Comps dont as a general rule.

Do many private schools pressure students into applying to an Oxbridge university? None of the private schools that I know did. The students decided for themselves.
Reply 18
Hi everyone :smile:
I would really appreciate a reply to my query, if you wouldnt mind. In terms of applying to law, where Do resit candidates stand? Assuming you got AS:AAAAA and A2:AAAA, and also a good LNAT score. ( And also had a reason for resitting???)
If some Uni's do allow this, do u know of the ones that do? Obviously there's no point in applying to those who dont accept resits regardless. I know im asking a lot, but ive had to change my "career plan" recently. I would really appreciate your comments thanks so much!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks,
Many regards,
Esperanza
superdillon
Do many private schools pressure students into applying to an Oxbridge university? None of the private schools that I know did. The students decided for themselves.

I certainly know of a couple that are totally obsessed by it! To the extent that those who don't get into Oxford or Cambridge feel as though they've failed, even if they have offers from other top universities. One near me makes everyone finish several drafts of their personal statements before the summer holiday at the end of year 12, which was certainly not the case in my school!

Latest

Trending

Trending