The Student Room Group

A-Level options

I'm currently in year 11, going into Sixth Form in September and I'm planning to do Business, Economics, Government and Politics and Psychology. However, recently I've considered doing History either instead of Psychology, OR in addition to everything else.
I was hoping someone who's done some of the above courses or has done 5 AS levels (with roughly the same courses) could help me a bit?
Psychology is after school, on Tuesdays and Thursdays- 4:30-6:30, which is it's major downside, but History is also VERY time consuming with 'out of class' work.

HELP??
Reply 1
5 is a lot of subjects to do. Just make sure that if you do that many you will still get the best grades possible, quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with the post above. You've got to have a strong academic mentality to successfully pass 5 subjects well. Having to stay behind until 6.30 would definitely take its toll after a while, I'd say you're better off just sticking with 4. If you really, really wanted to do Psychology still, you could take it up as an additional AS whilst you take 3 A2 subjects?
Thank you for the advice! Psychology is at a different centre so requires travelling (all provided, around 5-6 miles between centres). I'm definitely doing Business, Economics and Gov. and Pol. for A2, but both Psychology and History have a really interesting A2 syllabus! Which is why I've also considered 4 A2s - but I doubt I'd survive, at all!

That's a fair point, Moggington, I haven't actually considered doing that! Thank you!
Reply 4
Psychology is a piece of piss in my mind, so is business, so if you're intelligent and very hard working, 5 a levels shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have to disagree with Business - it's the only GCSE I'm likely to get an A* in. My teacher has bet his garage on me getting an A*. I have enjoyed business thoroughly from the first lesson in year 10 to the 50+ hour day to get my controlled assessment (77 pages (average 50)) in on time. I'd be mad not to do it next year!

I have heard some bad things about psychology - "it can be learnt from a book" - but I just find the whole concept interesting! I want to be a criminal barrister, so Psychology would be good for the criminal mind.

Quick Reply

Latest