The Student Room Group

Can you get into a good uni at 23 years old?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronove
Indeed. Her age won't make a jot of difference. There was a 60 year old man on my degree course when I started. Not sure whether he stayed beyond first year but he was there at least. I'm currently applying for a different degree at age 26. They really don't (and legally can't) care.

Lol why even bother at that age. I'd just live on my pension and have an easy time. :smile:
She might stand a better chance at her age.

I got my offer for Cambridge age 24. If I had applied at 18 my chances of getting in would have been zero.

Only thing I will say is that the one year a level courses are pretty intensive. If she wants to get into a good uni then a lot of extra reading and studying outside the syllabus will also help. Rushing it risks getting lower grades and there is less time for extra reading.
Reply 22
Original post by Mother Teresa
Lol why even bother at that age. I'd just live on my pension and have an easy time. :smile:

I can imagine retirement gets very boring very quickly. I'm sure I'll still be trying to expand my knowledge at that age. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Ranibizumab
She might stand a better chance at her age.

I got my offer for Cambridge age 24. If I had applied at 18 my chances of getting in would have been zero.

Only thing I will say is that the one year a level courses are pretty intensive. If she wants to get into a good uni then a lot of extra reading and studying outside the syllabus will also help. Rushing it risks getting lower grades and there is less time for extra reading.

Heyyy
Yeah she is going to be doing english, politics and sociology all in one year! Sucks for her as well as no more january exams!!!!
You did well to get into Cambridge? Was it your first time doing alevels
Original post by xxvine
What unis did apply to may i ask?

UCL, Edinburgh, RHUL, Aberdeen.
Indeed you can. Good luck. Both good Universities.
Reply 26
Original post by Samual
UCL, Edinburgh, RHUL, Aberdeen.

wow they are really good.....

i got rejected from edinburgh:frown:

did you have previous a levels at good grades?
Original post by xxvine
wow they are really good.....

i got rejected from edinburgh:frown:

did you have previous a levels at good grades?

Nop, I didn't do A levels at school. I'm doing 1 A level at the moment but Edinburgh haven't set any conditions on it, they just asked me to pass the CertHE.
I'm just so terribly sad that we seem to be living in a world where 23 is considered old.
Reply 29
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm just so terribly sad that we seem to be living in a world where 23 is considered old.

hahaha sorry

just that all the tops uni's you kinda get the feeling you have to be 18 or 19 and have straight A's!
I'm 23 and I'm going to Exeter in September. It's never too late to go to uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
hahaha sorry

just that all the tops uni's you kinda get the feeling you have to be 18 or 19 and have straight A's!

No, you can be a student at any age. It just distresses me to think that if my son, who is 23, is considered old (and he's the younger one!) it's time I went into a home.....
Reply 32
Original post by carnationlilyrose
No, you can be a student at any age. It just distresses me to think that if my son, who is 23, is considered old (and he's the younger one!) it's time I went into a home.....

hahaha
thanks lol. i guess 23 as in old compared to the 18 year olds!
I wish I had gone to university when I was about 25. It was largely wasted on my 18-21 year old self.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I wish I had gone to university when I was about 25. It was largely wasted on my 18-21 year old self.

Indeed. Youth is wasted on the young.
They don't discriminate on age, it's about academic merit.
Reply 36
Original post by Kelytha
I'm 23 and I'm going to Exeter in September. It's never too late to go to uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you do a levels
Original post by xxvine
did you do a levels

No, I did an access to higher education course. It's only one year long and most unis accept it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
Heyyy
Yeah she is going to be doing english, politics and sociology all in one year! Sucks for her as well as no more january exams!!!!
You did well to get into Cambridge? Was it your first time doing alevels

That isn't going to be easy. That could be about 18 exams all in one go? You also get not feedback on whether your exam technique was correct, you just hear how you've done on results day.

I did mine over two years because I'm working full time as well as studying. (I'm doing 4 A levels). If I'd rushed them I would have struggled at my Cambridge interview because the knowledge just wouldn't have been there at that time.

I did do A levels when I was the normal age yes, so I guess I had some advantage with taking them now :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending