The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2015 applicants

Who else is thinking of applying to Durham University for courses starting in 2015? Thinking about applying for maths but worried I've messed my exams up meaning I won't get good enough AS results :frown:

Connect to Durham University here! You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by _collegegirl
Who else is thinking of applying to Durham University for courses starting in 2015? Thinking about applying for maths but worried I've messed my exams up meaning I won't get good enough AS results :frown:

I am! And same course too :s-smilie: probably will be my second or third choice depending on how Warwick goes this weekend...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by TLHroolz
I am! And same course too :s-smilie: probably will be my second or third choice depending on how Warwick goes this weekend...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you applying for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I am! I'm hoping to apply for Geography (BA)- just hoping my AS grades will be good enough!
Original post by jwf13
I am! I'm hoping to apply for Geography (BA)- just hoping my AS grades will be good enough!

I'm really hoping that too. Just know my exams haven't gone well but it's so annoying because I know I'm capable of doing better. Guess it's just a case of waiting now though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm really hoping that too. Just know my exams haven't gone well but it's so annoying because I know I'm capable of doing better. Guess it's just a case of waiting now though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure it'll be fine, as they put a lot of weight on predictions and GCSEs, which can make up for unexpected AS results.What subjects are you studying?
I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry and english lit. What about you?

Really? I was under the impression they focus on UMS scores from AS a lot /:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
English lit, geography, history, RE and Spanish, but I've never seen anything that they look at UMS. They're asking for A*s, but you don't have to tell them what your UMS scores are. Just trying to decide which college to go to now, they all look really good!
I think it's just in maths and physics that they ask for the UMS scores

I would really love to apply for University college but as I want to go self-catered I expect I'll be applying for Butler. Are you going to an open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I think it's just in maths and physics that they ask for the UMS scores

I would really love to apply for University college but as I want to go self-catered I expect I'll be applying for Butler. Are you going to an open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm going to the one on the 30th. I'm the opposite, I went to a residential at Grey's in April, and the food was really nice. I'm hoping for a Bailey college but I'd be happy pretty much anywhere :smile:
Although it would be nice to not have to cook I'm such a fussy eater and it means you have to fit stuff in around meal times.
I'm going to the one on the 5th, so excited!
I wished I'd applied for a residential but I found out about Durham uni too late, let alone know they have one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It basically just told you all the things you'd get on an open day, and you got mentors who could talk about university life. I guess with Josephine Butler as well you've got an en-suite single room guarantee, which would be great :smile:
Are you applying for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jwf13
Yeah, I'm going to the one on the 30th. I'm the opposite, I went to a residential at Grey's in April, and the food was really nice. I'm hoping for a Bailey college but I'd be happy pretty much anywhere :smile:

I was at that! Accomodation was so nice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Ooh, hi guys! I technically fit in more here than in the 2014 applicants thread as I applied this cycle for 2015 entry & firmed it, so I ought to be seeing some of you if a miracle strikes between now and results day and I get A*AA. :redface: All being well, I’ll be doing chemistry at St Chad’s come next October.

Good luck with your applications & hope you get the AS grades you’re after. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by TLHroolz
I was at that! Accomodation was so nice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! I really enjoyed it and was impressed by the uni in general, just hope it's like that with all colleges!

Original post by knope
Ooh, hi guys! I technically fit in more here than in the 2014 applicants thread as I applied this cycle for 2015 entry & firmed it, so I ought to be seeing some of you if a miracle strikes between now and results day and I get A*AA. :redface: All being well, I’ll be doing chemistry at St Chad’s come next October.

Good luck with your applications & hope you get the AS grades you’re after. :smile:

Good luck in your A2 exams! I'm hoping to apply to St Chad's too, but it looks really competitive
Original post by knope

Good luck hope you get the grades you want! I admire you doing a degree in chemistry, I found AS bad enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jwf13
It basically just told you all the things you'd get on an open day, and you got mentors who could talk about university life. I guess with Josephine Butler as well you've got an en-suite single room guarantee, which would be great :smile:

Yeah that's another bonus being guaranteed an en-suite bedroom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by jwf13
Good luck in your A2 exams! I'm hoping to apply to St Chad's too, but it looks really competitive

Thank you very much. :smile: Just finished today, now to try and forget all about them until results day.

Also, under the current system whether your college allocation matches your preference is pure chance (i.e. no subjectivity based on things like whether you play the specific instrument the college band needs), so you have as good a chance as anyone else to get it! If you like Chad's, I’d say go for it.

Good luck hope you get the grades you want! I admire you doing a degree in chemistry, I found AS bad enough.

Thank you! I would undoubtedly flop a maths degree, so the feeling’s mutual. :tongue:
Might do...depending on how well my AS exams went...best case is AAA but I'll be happy with AAB and obviously if I didn't get AAA then I wouldn't waste an application on Durham haha.

Applying for Computer Science btw:smile:

Quick Reply