The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2015 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelmiller19
Well, it's your life; do what will make you happiest. Durham is a wonderful university and is very well recognized. It's my top choice, too. It's where I belong! Waiting has made me very nervous, and now hearing that other people have gotten law offers is only making me more on edge! Have you visited Durham?

It's where I belong too! I haven't visited Durham because I am not from the UK but I have a friend studying there and he only has good things to say!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by rennys
It's where I belong too! I haven't visited Durham because I am not from the UK but I have a friend studying there and he only has good things to say!

*high five* :biggrin: I'm from America, where are you from? I visited in November over my Thanksgiving break and I just fell in love. Which college did you apply to?
Reply 1382
Original post by rennys
I am an IB student and I got an offer for law on Friday. Don't worry, they have just started giving out law offers.

Could I ask you what your grades are?
Original post by rachelmiller19
*high five* :biggrin: I'm from America, where are you from? I visited in November over my Thanksgiving break and I just fell in love. Which college did you apply to?

Lol, sorry I didnt realize you were the same person, of course you applied for law
Original post by mbah
Could I ask you what your grades are?

41/45 including 3 points ee/tok.
Reply 1385
Original post by rennys
41/45 including 3 points ee/tok.

Thank you! And congratulation on your offer :smile:
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
You need to ask employers in fields like Government, IB, Law, Teaching (elite schools). UCL is better, but who can afford London? Quite often the wealthy students come from London or close by, so there is no challenge in going to UCL as they would be too close to home. London is amazing though, especially in summer.

So you're saying you asked employers in the Government, IB, Law and teaching whether they think UCL is better than Durham?
Original post by rennys
Lol, sorry I didnt realize you were the same person, of course you applied for law

Haha it's okay :biggrin: Wow, Greece? Cool, I have always wanted to go there. Which island are you from? Also, I applied to University College. I know it's super competitive, but I wanted a chance to live in the castle :smile:
Reply 1388
Got an offer in December for history 🎓 not sure whether to firm or not though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 105263
So you're saying you asked employers in the Government, IB, Law and teaching whether they think UCL is better than Durham?

Not employers, but people working in those professions, like MPs, Lawyers, Teachers, Vice Presidents etc. But they would also tell you that Durham graduates would just as easily get the same jobs as UCL graduates. Only when you go to universities like Lancaster or Leicester do you drop in any noticeable standard for career prospects, as the elite professions generally don't target 2nd rank universities, but if you are gifted then you could still make it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 105263

Ultimately you have to go where you think feels right. Not everyone would love the expensive but surreal party scene that busy London offers centrally and in the West End, some may prefer the quieter life in Durham riding horses. I would imagine getting a part time job would be easier in London.
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Ultimately you have to go where you think feels right. Not everyone would love the expensive but surreal party scene that busy London offers centrally and in the West End, some may prefer the quieter life in Durham riding horses. I would imagine getting a part time job would be easier in London.

Fair enough.
Reply 1392
Is anyone else choosing between durham and Exeter ???? Any ideas of comparison points?? :eek:
Original post by Dddhis
Is anyone else choosing between durham and Exeter ???? Any ideas of comparison points?? :eek:

I'm not making my choice between the two but I've got offers from 3/5 choices and Durham and Exeter are the only two I'm still waiting on
Original post by Dddhis

Is this a serious question? Durham is miles more prestigious.
Reply 1395
Original post by Teddiee
I'm not making my choice between the two but I've got offers from 3/5 choices and Durham and Exeter are the only two I'm still waiting on

ooo good luck !!! I'm sure youll get offers soon!!!:smile:
Original post by Dddhis

Offer from Exeter and waiting on Durham still (not feeling that optimistic about getting an offer but anyway).
They are both beautiful cities. I think a big comparison point would be the structure of the uni/accommodation - Exeter is all on one campus, easy to walk from one department/residence to another - everything's very concentrated i guess. Durham, however, is collegiate and scattered throughout the (quite small) city. I don't know if that helps? I think the structure/layout is something to take into consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dddhis
ooo good luck !!! I'm sure youll get offers soon!!!:smile:

Awh thank you ☺️ I really hope so 😁 may I ask what you are studying and what your choices are?
Reply 1398
Original post by Teddiee
Awh thank you ☺️ I really hope so may I ask what you are studying and what your choices are?

Im studying History and have offers from Durham, Bristol, Exeter and Nottingham but really not sure where to pick!!! What about you?
Original post by noumenon
I got an offer for PPE before Christmas, but I know lot of people who are still waiting.

Golly that's early! What a disappointment. Oh well, they can suck their offer :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest