Advanced Higher Chemistry 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ah4p
2008 9 pH.PNG

2008 9 pH 2.PNG

answers
Attachment not found

could someone please explain?

i know the acid and sodium hydroxide react in 1:1 ratio but the question doesnt actually state the concentartion of each so I assumed the conc of each is equal but i dont know if you can do that

then I said if half of acid is neutralised that is 12.25 cm3 and assuming equal concentraion of acid and alkali that means this will happen when
12.25 cm3 of sodium hydroxde has been added so I went to 12.25 on x axis and read a pH of 4 of the graph which means pKa = 4

but the answers say
pKa = 3.75 - 3.8

what am I doing wrong?

thanks I really apprecaite any help :smile:
exam on thursday ;(

The vertical part of the graph is where the equivalence point is reached, and thus is the point at which 100% of the alkali has been neutralised.
It follows that the point where half of the acid is neutralised is when half of the volume of alkali needed to neutralise it has been added - simply take half of the value for which the acid is fully neutralised.
This halfway point lies on the horizontal part of the graph, between X and Y ish. This gives you the 3.8 pKa value you're looking for.
Reply 541
Original post by Auranfox
The vertical part of the graph is where the equivalence point is reached, and thus is the point at which 100% of the alkali has been neutralised.
It follows that the point where half of the acid is neutralised is when half of the volume of alkali needed to neutralise it has been added - simply take half of the value for which the acid is fully neutralised.
This halfway point lies on the horizontal part of the graph, between X and Y ish. This gives you the 3.8 pKa value you're looking for.

OMG thanks very much :biggrin:
Reply 542
2007 mc 11.PNG

could the answer not be B or D here?

the actual answer is B

thnx
(edited 8 years ago)
So I was flicking through past papers again and I came up against the final question of the 2014 paper.
I don't know why, but I can't seem to get the concentration of the acid right for the buffer solution.

Question a) ii) : http://puu.sh/i1KOt/6fec9dcded.png
Answer: http://puu.sh/i1M51/652742108d.png

I'm fine with absolutely everything else in the answer scheme for this question other than the value for the concentration of the acid.

0.02L of 1mol l-1 KOH gives 0.02mol KOH.
0.04L of 1mol l-1 ethanoic acid gives 0.04mol ethanoic acid.

Acid(monoprotic) + Alkali ==> Salt + Water
We have 0.02mol ethanoic acid reacting with 0.02mol KOH, giving 0.02mol salt, 0.02mol water, and 0.02mol leftover ethanoic acid.

The solution overall is 60cm3 ==> 0.06L, and as C=N/V, both acid and salt should have the same concentration as the volume is the same and their number of moles are the same. This is clearly not the case, as in the answer scheme the concentration of acid is 0.666mol l-1, double that of the salt. I must be going wrong in something I've done above, and I can't find it for the life of me.
The rest of the solution from there on is fine, but can anyone offer help on what I've done above?
Reply 544
2007 3 WRIT.PNG

ANSWER
Attachment not found

im confused with this question

i know an acid donates a proton (H+) ion and the species left is the conjugate base but i can't see how from this equation something has gained only an H+ ion?
thnx for any help :smile:
Original post by ah4p
2007 mc 11.PNG

could the answer not be B or D here?

the actual answer is B

thnx

This is a bit of a trick question. Answer D could be a hydride, however you know lots of compounds with alkaline pH other than ionic hydrides. The only thing that will ever give you hydrogen gas at the positive electrode is a compound containing negative hydride ions, so to test for hydride ions you'd do B.
Reply 546
2007 3 WRIT.PNG

ANSWER
Attachment not found

i know an acid donates a proton (H+) ion and the species left is the conjugate base but i can't see how from this equation something has gained only an H+ ion?
Reply 547
This is a bit of a trick question. Answer D could be a hydride, however you know lots of compounds with alkaline pH other than ionic hydrides. The only thing that will ever give you hydrogen gas at the positive electrode is a compound containing negative hydride ions, so to test for hydride ions you'd do B.

ah thank you v much :smile:
Reply 548
So I was flicking through past papers again and I came up against the final question of the 2014 paper.
I don't know why, but I can't seem to get the concentration of the acid right for the buffer solution.

Question a) ii) : http://puu.sh/i1KOt/6fec9dcded.png
Answer: http://puu.sh/i1M51/652742108d.png

I'm fine with absolutely everything else in the answer scheme for this question other than the value for the concentration of the acid.

0.02L of 1mol l-1 KOH gives 0.02mol KOH.
0.04L of 1mol l-1 ethanoic acid gives 0.04mol ethanoic acid.

Acid(monoprotic) + Alkali ==> Salt + Water
We have 0.02mol ethanoic acid reacting with 0.02mol KOH, giving 0.02mol salt, 0.02mol water, and 0.02mol leftover ethanoic acid.

The solution overall is 60cm3 ==> 0.06L, and as C=N/V, both acid and salt should have the same concentration as the volume is the same and their number of moles are the same. This is clearly not the case, as in the answer scheme the concentration of acid is 0.666mol l-1, double that of the salt. I must be going wrong in something I've done above, and I can't find it for the life of me.
The rest of the solution from there on is fine, but can anyone offer help on what I've done above?

i know it gives the wrong answer but why can't the relationship [H+] = root(Ka c) not be used where we'd use Ka of ethanoic acid from data bok and conc of 0.666666666667 mol/l ?
Original post by ah4p
2007 3 WRIT.PNG

ANSWER
Attachment not found

You have a water molecule gaining a proton to become H30+, or the H+(aq) ion. This makes water the base in this reaction, and thus CO2 the acid.
On the right hand side, we see CO2 after losing its proton (look at it as if it has an OH- group on it now - it went from CO2 to HCO3-) as HCO3- and water after gaining its electron as H+ or H3O+.
On the right hand side, one of these can act as an acid and one can act as a base. That which acts as the acid is the conjugate acid and that which acts as the base is the conjugate base.
H3O+ donates a proton to become H2O, and so it is the conjugate acid.
HCO3- can accept a proton to become CO2 (+ H2O) and so is the conjugate base.

Note that HCO3- is amphoteric as it can donate another proton to become the carbonate ion, CO3^2-.

This one confused me a bit at first too, but this is how I puzzled it out.
Original post by ah4p
i know it gives the wrong answer but why can't the relationship [H+] = root(Ka c) not be used where we'd use Ka of ethanoic acid from data bok and conc of 0.666666666667 mol/l ?

I believe it may be because this is not just a weak acid in solution, it's a buffer solution-- the same reason you can't use the pH equation for a weak acid in a buffer. The ethanoate ions play a part in the pH.
Reply 551

How do I know if this is nucleophilic or electrophilic. The answer is D.
Reply 552

See this come up a lot, where the NH2 group is on the end but what is the Chemistry behind the answer. The answer is B.
Reply 553

Can someone explain this please? The answer is D.
Reply 554

Don't really know much about unit 3, can someone explain this? The answer is B.
Reply 555
Original post by spfl

How do I know if this is nucleophilic or electrophilic. The answer is D.

benzene contains a ring of delocalised electron which are negative
thus anything attacking the benzene ring must be seeking negative charge therefore its electrophillic

Original post by spfl

Don't really know much about unit 3, can someone explain this? The answer is B.

it attacks the benzene ring therefore as explained above it must be a nucleophile
B has a positive charge so is a nucleophile (attracted to delocalised electrons in benzene ring)

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 556
You have a water molecule gaining a proton to become H30+, or the H+(aq) ion. This makes water the base in this reaction, and thus CO2 the acid.
On the right hand side, we see CO2 after losing its proton (look at it as if it has an OH- group on it now - it went from CO2 to HCO3-) as HCO3- and water after gaining its electron as H+ or H3O+.
On the right hand side, one of these can act as an acid and one can act as a base. That which acts as the acid is the conjugate acid and that which acts as the base is the conjugate base.
H3O+ donates a proton to become H2O, and so it is the conjugate acid.
HCO3- can accept a proton to become CO2 (+ H2O) and so is the conjugate base.

Note that HCO3- is amphoteric as it can donate another proton to become the carbonate ion, CO3^2-.

This one confused me a bit at first too, but this is how I puzzled it out.

thanks that makes sense :biggrin:
http://www.new.chemistry-teaching-resources.com/Resources/PastPapers/RevAdvH/AH_Chemistry(Revised)_all_2014.pdf

In question 12 in the mult choice, why is the Answer B ? I thought if X was added that would mean through equilibrium it favours the left hand side?
Reply 558
Original post by Bromaldehyde
http://www.new.chemistry-teaching-resources.com/Resources/PastPapers/RevAdvH/AH_Chemistry(Revised)_all_2014.pdf

In question 12 in the mult choice, why is the Answer B ? I thought if X was added that would mean through equilibrium it favours the left hand side?

If XX was added, [I2(X)][I_2(X)] would decrease. The equilibrium will try to oppose this decrease by moving I2I_2 molecules from solvent YY to solvent XX. This causes the decrease in [I2(Y)][I_2(Y)], thus the answer is B :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
How is the answer to 10a) zero order? At 0.2 mol the time taken was 40 seconds, and when the concentration was doubled to 0.4 mol the time taken halved to 20 seconds, would this not be first order? 2012 btw Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 11.45.58.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending