The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Can I change my degree??

I have a conditional offer at Edinburgh to study Economic and Social History however since then I have become a lot more interested in Sociology and would rather switch to that. Will I be able to tell the university on my first day (provided I meet my offer) and be able to switch??
Hi, I haven't started yet, but I have a Social History offer and would like to study it with Sociology as my main degree. When you start, you meet with your personal tutor and that is when you decide what your outside subjects are. If you keep Social and Economical History, you can study Sociology with them. Then, after second year, if you decide you definitely want to switch to Sociology as a single degree (or still with history/your current offer) you can. Basically, Edinburgh are known to be quite flexible because, once they have you, they don't want to lose you. So the chances of you being able to change are highly likely.

For the record, I also want to add Sociology because it sounds so interesting, but I think that it's a good idea to think everything through and keep all your options open/look at how easy it could be to change degree further down the line. However, at the end of the day, I think you'll have no problem changing once you're in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by gorillaz_gal
Basically, Edinburgh are known to be quite flexible because, once they have you, they don't want to lose you. So the chances of you being able to change are highly likely.

That's not why they are flexible. They are flexible because that is how the ancient universities operate in Scotland so long as your course allows for a sufficient amount of outside courses.

OP: Discuss it with your course advisor when you arrive and take things from there. Alternatively you can call or email the admissions department and see what they have to say about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending