The Student Room Group

Summer 2015 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Thank you Noble and Jong Key!
Original post by sheldon420
I didn't say that I was going to lie about it, just that I heard that most firms don't care about first year grades (maybe because they don't even matter in most of the degrees, mine included) and putting a predicted second year grade won't do you any harm.

"Final round interview" wasn't counted in my "2-3 strongly related work experience", I was just trying to give you some extra background info.

Thank you everyone for the answers so far, maybe someone who got through the process of applying last year can tell us for sure whether firms care and ask about first year grades on their applications and if they can be a deal breaker?

I don't know where you are applying but I got a job from EY in Bham and from what I remember, they asked for 1st year marks and all module grades across the 3 years i think. I cant fully remember but your best bet is to click 'apply', skim through the application form and look at whether they ask for 1st yr grades or not and then decide on whether to apply and do your research on the company - that is just my opinion but there's no point doing all your research first and deciding not to apply eh.

In my final interview we did talk about grades. I didn't do well in 1st year either but i really pulled it around in 2nd year so we did have a bit of a chat on that.

In general, I think most firms won't care. There will be those that are very strict and may discard you because of it but youre not going to know until you try really so don't let it get you down or put you off :smile:

Also, can anyone tell me - if this thread just for internship or grad scheme people too?
Hi All,

Hope your all well.

Im going to start applying for Summer Internships soon, could anyone shed some light on my situation?

I study in Scotland and therefore don't go to a target. I have a decent CV: took a year + part of summer (15 months) out to work in HSBC in Glasgow (back office), done 1 insight day at MS (again b/o), have represented my country at sport while going to a sports school.

Not at the best uni in the world, got an overall 2:2 in 1st year of 4 year course, some modules I did rubbish in while others better (passed all). Don't have the best of maths grade from school but others are fairly decent AABBBBC over 2 years (Highers).

Can anyone comment on my chances of an intership in london for S&T, M&A or IB?

Any help is much appreciated. Good luck guys!
Original post by CalvinP1
Hi All,

Hope your all well.

Im going to start applying for Summer Internships soon, could anyone shed some light on my situation?

I study in Scotland and therefore don't go to a target. I have a decent CV: took a year + part of summer (15 months) out to work in HSBC in Glasgow (back office), done 1 insight day at MS (again b/o), have represented my country at sport while going to a sports school.

Not at the best uni in the world, got an overall 2:2 in 1st year of 4 year course, some modules I did rubbish in while others better (passed all). Don't have the best of maths grade from school but others are fairly decent AABBBBC over 2 years (Highers).

What degree are you doing?
Hi All,

Hope your all well.

You should probably apply to Spring Weeks, if you are going to be in 2nd year of a 4 year course. Check the 2014 Spring Week thread for more advice.
Original post by Noble.
What degree are you doing?

Risk Management. Should also mention that I work part time for MS, but not a finance related job.
Original post by spoli21
You should probably apply to Spring Weeks, if you are going to be in 2nd year of a 4 year course. Check the 2014 Spring Week thread for more advice.

I will also be applying for Spring weeks. Do you think I should get a few interviews providing I pass the tests?

Im sure summer internships are after your 2nd year on a 4 year course, correct me if im wrong?
I will also be applying for Spring weeks. Do you think I should get a few interviews providing I pass the tests?

Im sure summer internships are after your 2nd year on a 4 year course, correct me if im wrong?

I am sure you can get couple of interviews if you apply to alot of places.

I am pretty sure that summer internships at major banks are aimed at 2nd years doing 3 year course and 3rd years on a 4 year course, but you can still check with different banks and ask if they will consider you.
Original post by spoli21
I am sure you can get couple of interviews if you apply to alot of places.

I am pretty sure that summer internships at major banks are aimed at 2nd years doing 3 year course and 3rd years on a 4 year course, but you can still check with different banks and ask if they will consider you.

Cheers for your help, ill look into that
Reply 589
Original post by MartonPrice
Might be a very simple question, but then have CS, GS and RBS already opened their Summer 2015 programmes?

yeah they have
Why were some people in the thread saying that the RBS application does not "have room for a CV"? I can see a document upload page allowing a CV and cover letter.
How are people writing their Credit Suisse cover letter? I applied for Equities (Trading) as my first choice and Fixed Income (Trading) as my second but should my cover letter be about Equities? Or Trading in general?
Original post by JongKey
How are people writing their Credit Suisse cover letter? I applied for Equities (Trading) as my first choice and Fixed Income (Trading) as my second but should my cover letter be about Equities? Or Trading in general?

I think you should explain your preferences, why trading in general and why are equities your first choice and fixed income second.
Original post by Zeegie
Thanks, I'll probs wait until I see if I get it, I think they said in the application form or somewhere that they'll be responding after 18th Aug, so once I find out from that, then I'll decide. And hopefully, as you said, it's classified as an event, not an actual programme.

I've also applied to the event, do you think that there is a lot of competition to get a spot in it (i.e. is it difficult to be chosen)? Consider also that I don't know how the logical reasoning test went.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 16dan2life
I think 2-3 weeks they replied, but it was for professional services not banking. Yeah, the website is slightly strange lol. If you are successful, you have to attend a group discussion and sit online assessments. After that they decide if you are successful or not to visit professional companies and get fast tracked.

Yh I attended the one on 6th August; it was a pretty dry insight day lol.

Ah okay, I applied a couple of days ago for the banking one so hopefully will hear back soon- that sounds really good though.

And I was at the one the week before, yeah I agree! Still better than the Lloyds one I went to at easter though, which was basically a 6 hour promotion of the company with no real advice.
Original post by thegalvan
I've also applied to the event, do you think that there is a lot of competition to get a spot in it (i.e. is it difficult to be chosen)? Consider also that I don't know how the logical reasoning test went.

I have no idea, i can imagine there may be quite a bit of competition as cv and online test performance will be reviewed, and the fact that is a fast track as well...yh the logical was weird, they said they'll get back in the week commencing 18th, so we'll just have to wait now. What areas are you interested in?
Original post by Zeegie
I have no idea, i can imagine there may be quite a bit of competition as cv and online test performance will be reviewed, and the fact that is a fast track as well...yh the logical was weird, they said they'll get back in the week commencing 18th, so we'll just have to wait now. What areas are you interested in?

Equity Research and, even though less, Asset/investment management, you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thegalvan
Equity Research and, even though less, Asset/investment management, you?

Awesome :smile: capital markets and asset mgt as well for me. Will definitely be on the lookout for AM firms opening up except there's not been too many campus visits from specific am firms at my uni, as bizarre as that sounds considering how many bbs come there. (at warwick)
Just to confirm, Credit Suisse use kenexa right?
Original post by ShadowFlames
Just to confirm, Credit Suisse use kenexa right?

Ignore me, lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending