The Student Room Group

Summer 2015 Applications

I know it's still very, very early to make this thread but I was wondering how you're all preparing, (if at all, as of now), for the summer 2015 internship applications that start opening at the beginning of august?

Scroll to see replies

I am preparing by building relationships with bankers (senior or analysts) so they refer me when applications open. I suggest you do the same. Already have one promise of a referral by a global head :smile:
Good luck.
Original post by Mathmatician
I am preparing by building relationships with bankers (senior or analysts) so they refer me when applications open. I suggest you do the same. Already have one promise of a referral by a global head :smile:
Good luck.

How on earth are you pulling that off? How did you manage to get a global head to bat for you? :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
How on earth are you pulling that off? How did you manage to get a global head to bat for you? :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A mixture of hard cold calling, strong hard networking and closing informational chats well to land referrals to more senior people.
You would be surprised how few people actually network. Never underestimate the competition.

Just a warning, to get that one referral I had to pick the phone up 75-80 times.
Cold calling is a ego bruising and a very very long hard slog. You have been warned. Just do not give up and if you can not get a referral from someone be brutally honest with yourself about where you went wrong.

In London if you get a referral there is a near 100% chance you will get interview (note this only applies to London).

Now start dialling :smile:
Original post by will2348

Posted from TSR Mobile

Want to know anything else about recruiting , feel free to ask mate :smile:
Want to know anything else about recruiting , feel free to ask mate :smile:

How exactly are you going about the cold calling? I used to do it when looking for experience but I figure it's too late now. Basically how do you even start a conversation with a global head let alone an employee?
Reply 6
Good luck.

This is absolutely amazing, I'll definitely add that to my to-do list for summer!

Do you have any relevant work experience? (Not including spring weeks, insight days, etc)?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ShadowFlames
How exactly are you going about the cold calling? I used to do it when looking for experience but I figure it's too late now. Basically how do you even start a conversation with a global head let alone an employee?

You need to start of at the bottom. Talk to analysts/associates and get them to refer you to their boss etc... until you reach the top. Also look into high school alumni and university alumni. Do not overlook the obvious e.g that random uncle you see once a year etc..
The thing about networking in London is it is hard to get people to refer you but when they do it pays off massively. To be honest with you even if a analyst refers you, you should be fine. You dont need a global head or a managing director.
Original post by iCreptio
This is absolutely amazing, I'll definitely add that to my to-do list for summer!

Do you have any relevant work experience? (Not including spring weeks, insight days, etc)?

yes network network and network some more.

I became interested in finance way back but I didnt really know how to persue it and didn't know much about the whole industry. Like 99 percent of people I would apply online and hope for the best. I had a crap cv and cover letter and I go to a very low ranked university. During last summer I applied to one or two summer internships but then gave up. I decided to go into something like engineering and hold of going into finance.

My passion for finance was growing and during January I came across people who went to non target unis but landed summer internships. It was at this point I decided that I can not give up and I need to do something. I was brutally honest with myself and I reinvented myself. I started networking like hell and sought the help of people in the industry to work on my cv and cover letter. I also worked on creating a water tight story.

The only problem was that in January all the summer internship positions for this summer are closed. However their was one that was open. It was for one of the largest asset management firms in the world (think pimco,blackrock etc..) for their trading division. I networked like hell with employees from their and I got a referral from a person who had been working their for 7 months. I managed to get a final round interview with them. I didnt get it in the end but this was my first ever final round interview. Before this I had never even got a phone interview so it was not a bad achievement. So this just goes to show with rubbish grades (around 240 ucas at A levels) and a very low ranked uni you can still do it.

I have done only engineering work experience
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Good day,

I would like to know if UK banks open up summer internships to students from Singapore. I am a Singaporean studying engineering in NUS and am interested in trying out a summer internship overseas. For work experience, due to limited time as we have to complete national service, I only have retail (Ralph Lauren) and engineering office experience.

How competitive is it for applications? (Eg Morgan Stanley accepts mostly Oxbridge) Are there any banks which may accept international students or have a history of doing so? I hope to be able to complete an internship as a summer analyst and get to know the industry.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply 10
I'm currently completing an internship at the moment, but am also intending on applying elsewhere in case thing don't work out.

My question is, is it worth applying for grad schemes, or is it better to apply for summer internships and then take a year out (i.e go travelling - if likelihood for getting a grad job is significantly less so than applying and getting an internship, then I'm more than happy to do that).
Reply 11
Original post by Klearcut
Good day,

I would like to know if UK banks open up summer internships to students from Singapore. I am a Singaporean studying engineering in NUS and am interested in trying out a summer internship overseas. For work experience, due to limited time as we have to complete national service, I only have retail (Ralph Lauren) and engineering office experience.

How competitive is it for applications? (Eg Morgan Stanley accepts mostly Oxbridge) Are there any banks which may accept international students or have a history of doing so? I hope to be able to complete an internship as a summer analyst and get to know the industry.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

I know several people that have come to London from outside the UK to do summer internships (Spain, Italy, Germany, France) but I'm not entirely sure how it would work if you come from outside of the EU. The best thing you could do is just email HR of the banks you intend to apply to and they'll resolve any questions you may have.

Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by iCreptio
I know several people that have come to London from outside the UK to do summer internships (Spain, Italy, Germany, France) but I'm not entirely sure how it would work if you come from outside of the EU. The best thing you could do is just email HR of the banks you intend to apply to and they'll resolve any questions you may have.

Good luck!

Hey there !! Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it! Noted and I think I will do so soon. Can I ask what kind of resume/cv and cover letter is expected in UK? I am afraid the working standards/culture will differ vastly from where I come from (Singapore).

Also, for salaries of summer interns, is there a rough scale? Over in my country, salaries for local undergraduate interns are about 600SGD to 1200SGD (prolly, 285pounds to 570pounds)
Reply 13
Hey there !! Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it! Noted and I think I will do so soon. Can I ask what kind of resume/cv and cover letter is expected in UK? I am afraid the working standards/culture will differ vastly from where I come from (Singapore).

Also, for salaries of summer interns, is there a rough scale? Over in my country, salaries for local undergraduate interns are about 600SGD to 1200SGD (prolly, 285pounds to 570pounds)

As for your Curriculum Vitae, most banks tend to prefer 1 pagers (atleast that seems to be the general consensus around here). Cover letters; I'm not entirely sure, but I'd guess again, not making it too long (over one page) would be beneficial.

In terms of salaries, a great website to use for that kind of data is : http://www.glassdoor.co.uk/index.htm
Yeah I'm trying to get everything together in preparation for applying, anyone know when the applications for what banks open?

What uni is everyone here at? And studying what?
Good luck.

Sorry what firms did you actually cold call and be successful with out of curiosity?

Interns in front office are 45k pro rota. No bonuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by economicsuon
Sorry what firms did you actually cold call and be successful with out of curiosity?

Standard chartered, Bank of america merryll lynch, Jp morgan, morgan stanley. I know many people at these and a lot of other private equity firms who did and are trying hard to get me work experience so it is very safe to assume they will refer me for summer internship.
Standard chartered, Bank of america merryll lynch, Jp morgan, morgan stanley. I know many people at these and a lot of other private equity firms who did and are trying hard to get me work experience so it is very safe to assume they will refer me for summer internship.

And what are you studying and where sorry?
Original post by economicsuon
And what are you studying and where sorry?

A non target and maths
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest