The Student Room Group

Summer 2015 Applications

Scroll to see replies

can anyone give me the link to accentures applications? For some reason I keep seeing that theyre open in 2015
Original post by bhogs001
can anyone give me the link to accentures applications? For some reason I keep seeing that theyre open in 2015

Is this for graduate or internship?
Original post by boundyy
Is it me or are the only internships available with Deutsche, markets and corporate finance? Can't find anymore like asset management

They've added other depts.
Have you had a reply from EY since this e-mail? I am applying for the exact same role and received the same e-mail today.
Original post by spoli21
They are not hard. Strengths test is I think 20 questions with no time limit and the other tests are from Saville consulting - 3 sets of 8 question, each set with 6 min time limit.

I did the test on Saturday and today I got the e-mail saying:
Thank you for submitting your application for the 2015 Summer Internship - Corporate Finance - Financial Services programme with EY.

We apologise for the delay in contacting you to arrange your 1st stage interview. There are currently candidates ahead of you in the process and we will contact you with an update as soon as possible.

Have you heard from EY since? I have applied for the exact position and received an identical e-mail earlier today.
Original post by Unknown?
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place but I have a telephone interview on monday for the Deutsche Bank train to hire program for the group technology/operations division in Birmingham. I imagine being in Birmingham the role is more back office but I assumed in the online application process that I would be given an online numerical reasoning test first before any kind of actual interview. Do they usually interview first for these kinds of programs/divisions? By the way I'm a physics graduate so for all I know they might have just assumed I'm competent at maths.

I had a telephone interview for the same division at DB Birmingham, but first year internship. It isn't that bad, they ask standard competency questions such as name a scenario where you were in a group and had a problem etc. Also a few questions on your CV and past work experience will be asked.
Long shot but anyone here in Private equity?
Can anyone enlighten me about the different business groups at BlackRock? The website is very vague. Torn between advisory and investments but in all honesty don't really know the difference.
I'm doing a PE internship atm if it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JKenyan
Have you heard from EY since? I have applied for the exact position and received an identical e-mail earlier today.

I received this e-mail on the 18th and then I e-mailed HR this Monday and got response that they are waiting on business division to confirm how many interview spots they can allocate.
Did anyone had a digital interview with M&G investments?
Reply 1191
Original post by Mathmatician
Long shot but anyone here in Private equity?

Summer intern at a firm in the US
Original post by Mathmatician
yes network network and network some more.

I became interested in finance way back but I didnt really know how to persue it and didn't know much about the whole industry. Like 99 percent of people I would apply online and hope for the best. I had a crap cv and cover letter and I go to a very low ranked university. During last summer I applied to one or two summer internships but then gave up. I decided to go into something like engineering and hold of going into finance.

My passion for finance was growing and during January I came across people who went to non target unis but landed summer internships. It was at this point I decided that I can not give up and I need to do something. I was brutally honest with myself and I reinvented myself. I started networking like hell and sought the help of people in the industry to work on my cv and cover letter. I also worked on creating a water tight story.

The only problem was that in January all the summer internship positions for this summer are closed. However their was one that was open. It was for one of the largest asset management firms in the world (think pimco,blackrock etc..) for their trading division. I networked like hell with employees from their and I got a referral from a person who had been working their for 7 months. I managed to get a final round interview with them. I didnt get it in the end but this was my first ever final round interview. Before this I had never even got a phone interview so it was not a bad achievement. So this just goes to show with rubbish grades (around 240 ucas at A levels) and a very low ranked uni you can still do it.

I have done only engineering work experience

THIS.!

I am in a very similar position, 260 Ucas points, well 270 if you include general studies but whatever. 1st class from Coventry University in Financial Econs. When I asked people if I had a chance they were like "NO CHANCE, GIVE UP" Bla bla..

But people do not realise this - I was also given no chance of getting into University when i got kicked out of my 1st 6th form.. At University, I was given no chance of getting a 1st by my Finance tutor when I had to retake a module in 2nd year.

What did I do? I killed my social life and worked so hard because I did not want these guys to say "Told you so".

Now Im trying to get into banking, people are saying "no chance" lol I've heard that line before...

I also cold called, got an informational interview with a boutique, got told off my a director, got two MD's email addresses and sent them my CV.

The informational interview did not get me the job, haven't heard from one of the MDs, the other MD told me that his HR said they can't offer me any shadowing experience because I am a graduate. However, one of the VPs referred me to a HR at his firm and she emailed me today asking me if i really wanted the role, and something about my knowledge of finance.

No concrete offer but for someone who did not have a chance, I am getting pretty close aren't I?

You sir are my motivation.. I'll PM you!!
Does anyone know if it's possible to apply to more than one program and/or location with EY?
Original post by flygirl64
THIS.!

I am in a very similar position, 260 Ucas points, well 270 if you include general studies but whatever. 1st class from Coventry University in Financial Econs. When I asked people if I had a chance they were like "NO CHANCE, GIVE UP" Bla bla..

But people do not realise this - I was also given no chance of getting into University when i got kicked out of my 1st 6th form.. At University, I was given no chance of getting a 1st by my Finance tutor when I had to retake a module in 2nd year.

What did I do? I killed my social life and worked so hard because I did not want these guys to say "Told you so".

Now Im trying to get into banking, people are saying "no chance" lol I've heard that line before...

I also cold called, got an informational interview with a boutique, got told off my a director, got two MD's email addresses and sent them my CV.

The informational interview did not get me the job, haven't heard from one of the MDs, the other MD told me that his HR said they can't offer me any shadowing experience because I am a graduate. However, one of the VPs referred me to a HR at his firm and she emailed me today asking me if i really wanted the role, and something about my knowledge of finance.

No concrete offer but for someone who did not have a chance, I am getting pretty close aren't I?

You sir are my motivation.. I'll PM you!!

To be honest, not really. There's a big difference in having someone sound interested in you, and them actually doing something about it and inviting you to a formal interview. Until you're in a position where they're taking serious time out of their own work to deal with you, I can't see how you're even remotely close. That said, I'm not saying you should give up, but the kind of contact you've been having with them so far sounds pretty preliminary.
Original post by Noble.
To be honest, not really. There's a big difference in having someone sound interested in you, and them actually doing something about it and inviting you to a formal interview. Until you're in a position where they're taking serious time out of their own work to deal with you, I can't see how you're even remotely close. That said, I'm not saying you should give up, but the kind of contact you've been having with them so far sounds pretty preliminary.

People said I had no chance, but I've gotten an Informational Interview, and another Boutique bank said I was perfect for the role, she then called asking me about my knowledge in finance. That sounds pretty close to me.. especially when people said I had no chance.

But Ill keep trying.. how do i get in a position where they are taking their time to speak with me??

Any tips? Thanks
People said I had no chance, but I've gotten an Informational Interview, and another Boutique bank said I was perfect for the role, she then called asking me about my knowledge in finance. That sounds pretty close to me.. especially when people said I had no chance.

But Ill keep trying.. how do i get in a position where they are taking their time to speak with me??

Any tips? Thanks

Obviously keep on trying. But I'd focus on getting decent masters and doing an interesting job (circus, teach a language, join the TA, those kinds of things) until that starts, if you need the money. If not go travelling or something that will make you more interesting as a person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1197

Any tips? Thanks

I have to agree with Noble. Getting an informational interview really isn't an achievement. If you are not converting your meetings into formal interviews then you really are a long way away. Wish you the best, but make sure you are aware of how this process tends to work.
Original post by ollye
I have to agree with Noble. Getting an informational interview really isn't an achievement. If you are not converting your meetings into formal interviews then you really are a long way away. Wish you the best, but make sure you are aware of how this process tends to work.

We all have to start somewhere, The informational interview did not get me anywhere per say because the bank was not recruiting for interns. We just spoke about the industry over coffee and joked about sports really.

And why is everyone ignoring the HR from the second boutique that called me and said she thinks that I am fit for this Job, she then proceeded to grill me about my financial knowledge and then said she would be speaking to the manager about me.

Yes I know it's not a formal offer but I am using lemon to make lemonade as people did not even give me a chance when I initially started looking for Jobs. They said "Oh your Alevels are poor" Which is true but then 40% of the Boutiques have never asked me for Alevels.

BNP paribas never asked me for Alevels, neither did morgan stanley.. you know what let me down for Morgan? I failed their Logical test. But I passed their Numerical

And BNP, well they asked for CV and Experience, I don't have good banking experience, A level did not play a factor for either of these rejections. The only ones I suspect Alevel played a factor was the JPs and Goldmans.

But yea, I understand how this Industry works and I know that persistence is key. . With regards to your second point, Its too late for masters this year, so I will apply for entry next year. And it has to be from the big 10 Universities.

Thanks
Original post by natty_d
I'm doing a PE internship atm if it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, out of interest is it a mega fund?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending