The Student Room Group

Reach programme at glasgow or edinburgh uni

Hi there, I'm currently in 4th year (year 10) and want to study vet med once I leave high school, I've heard about the reach programme at glasgow uni and also at edinburgh but haven't been told about it yet and was just wondering if there was anyone that had done either of them before. How useful was it? Did you enjoy it? Did it help you get a place on the course? ! What do you actually do during it? Really any information about it would be helpful

thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Rachelmcl13
Hi there, I'm currently in 4th year (year 10) and want to study vet med once I leave high school, I've heard about the reach programme at glasgow uni and also at edinburgh but haven't been told about it yet and was just wondering if there was anyone that had done either of them before. How useful was it? Did you enjoy it? Did it help you get a place on the course? ! What do you actually do during it? Really any information about it would be helpful

thanks!

Hi, I'm in the reach programme for glasgow uni, its actually through your school that you get involved. Unfortunately chances are if you havent been told now it probably means your school isnt associated with the programme.
The people running it are really great though in helping you with your p.s. application and coaching you for interviews. They even run a summer school for prospective applicants in the summer before you apply. Not sure how but ive also heard it helps you at the interview stage.
Hope you have done well with results today :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply! My school definitely do it but I've only just moved into 4th year so its probably a bit early thanks anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm in S6 now and I am on the reach project, you will find out about it later in the year but the school will contact you probably. Tutors on the project came to the school and gave us a kind of information day where we got booklets and found out about the course and what a typical vet students week would be, they also advised us on what subjects to take in S5. We then had to make a kind of mini personal statement about ourselves,Then in S4 also we went up to Glasgow uni for a day and had a lecture about the course and what it was really like from tutors and current students, we also did a session where we made a presentation about putting healthy animals down because the owner wanted that, like the reasons and our opinions (like badger culls, or race horses# this was really useful as we got advice from students and we were shown some of the tougher sides of vet med #being faced with putting down healthy animals#. Then in S5 the tutors came back and visited us at school where they again advised us on subjects, but mainly introduced us to our written assignment about dogs eating chocolate. The chemicals in chocolate that cause harm, clinical signs treatment and things like that, it was really interesting and we used proper referencing and things so it felt really important and was a good thing to do as it allowed us to see what we will hopefully be doing shortly! Then in S5 we attended a summer school, Because I live quite far away from the uni I got to stay in halls, instead of commuting. Throughout the week we got a tour of the vet campus, lectures from the admissions staff, an interview skills workshop, lectures from working practitioners in various lines of vet med, we visited the working dairy farm that the vet school uses, learned how to bandage dogs legs, suture, and put gloves and gowns on in a sterile way and a communications skills workshop as well as going over our assignments and chatting with vet students through the week. It was such an amazing and worthwhile experience, I learned so much from it and has given me such an insight into the course at Glasgow and vet med in general! When the opportunity comes to do the course go for it its so worth it! I haven't applied yet # got 5A's in my exams so will be applying later in the year ) so don't know if it helped me get a place on the course or not but all the students that had done reach said it really helped them in the application process and was good to put on their personal statement so I think it will be a great help. Overall it was a really enjoyable experience that was very useful in so many ways, sorry for the long post though :tongue: - oh and they are coming back for another school visit before the applications and interviews I think - hope this was helpful
Reply 4
Original post by Starry Sky
Hi! I'm in S6 now and I am on the reach project, you will find out about it later in the year but the school will contact you probably. Tutors on the project came to the school and gave us a kind of information day where we got booklets and found out about the course and what a typical vet students week would be, they also advised us on what subjects to take in S5. We then had to make a kind of mini personal statement about ourselves,Then in S4 also we went up to Glasgow uni for a day and had a lecture about the course and what it was really like from tutors and current students, we also did a session where we made a presentation about putting healthy animals down because the owner wanted that, like the reasons and our opinions (like badger culls, or race horses# this was really useful as we got advice from students and we were shown some of the tougher sides of vet med #being faced with putting down healthy animals#. Then in S5 the tutors came back and visited us at school where they again advised us on subjects, but mainly introduced us to our written assignment about dogs eating chocolate. The chemicals in chocolate that cause harm, clinical signs treatment and things like that, it was really interesting and we used proper referencing and things so it felt really important and was a good thing to do as it allowed us to see what we will hopefully be doing shortly! Then in S5 we attended a summer school, Because I live quite far away from the uni I got to stay in halls, instead of commuting. Throughout the week we got a tour of the vet campus, lectures from the admissions staff, an interview skills workshop, lectures from working practitioners in various lines of vet med, we visited the working dairy farm that the vet school uses, learned how to bandage dogs legs, suture, and put gloves and gowns on in a sterile way and a communications skills workshop as well as going over our assignments and chatting with vet students through the week. It was such an amazing and worthwhile experience, I learned so much from it and has given me such an insight into the course at Glasgow and vet med in general! When the opportunity comes to do the course go for it its so worth it! I haven't applied yet # got 5A's in my exams so will be applying later in the year ) so don't know if it helped me get a place on the course or not but all the students that had done reach said it really helped them in the application process and was good to put on their personal statement so I think it will be a great help. Overall it was a really enjoyable experience that was very useful in so many ways, sorry for the long post though :tongue: - oh and they are coming back for another school visit before the applications and interviews I think - hope this was helpful

Thank you so much!! This is helped a lot! I'm really looking forward to it now! :smile: just out of interest, what highers and advanced highers did you take? Also what unis are you thinking of applying to? Good luck with your exams! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much!! This is helped a lot! I'm really looking forward to it now! :smile: just out of interest, what highers and advanced highers did you take? Also what unis are you thinking of applying to? Good luck with your exams! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 5A's in my highers in English, maths, biology, chemistry and physics. I've picked advanced biology and chemistry and higher music to do next year! I really like the look of glasgow but I haven't been to see edinburgh as their openday is just coming up. To be honest though I'm not fussy an offer from anywhere would be great!:tongue: have you started thinking about work experience or anything yet?
Reply 6
Thats really good! :smile: yeah so far ive done about 8 months at cats protection, im currently trying to find a vets but im struggling to find one that will actually accept me haha! Ive not thought too much about farms/large animals yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats really good! :smile: yeah so far ive done about 8 months at cats protection, im currently trying to find a vets but im struggling to find one that will actually accept me haha! Ive not thought too much about farms/large animals yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really good start! You've got loads of time left, I didn't have any work experience really other than with family so great stuff! Wish you all the best :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you! You too!
I am on reach for Edinburgh and have been for over a year (just going into 6th year now) and would highly recommend it if you can do it. It basically gives you the opportunity to go to more open days and events that other people don't get to go to. It also gives you a lot more support when it comes to applying and getting exam results.They also run things like personal statement workshops which i will be going to in September which sound great because when it comes to personal statements i don't have a clue where to start. They can also give you tips on where to get work experience. Basically I think everyone at reach is extremely helpful and supportive and you should sign up straight away. :smile:
Thank you for your reply! That's really helpful! I'll definitely be signing up! Good luck with your application! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treen98
Hi, I'm in the reach programme for glasgow uni, its actually through your school that you get involved. Unfortunately chances are if you havent been told now it probably means your school isnt associated with the programme.
The people running it are really great though in helping you with your p.s. application and coaching you for interviews. They even run a summer school for prospective applicants in the summer before you apply. Not sure how but ive also heard it helps you at the interview stage.
Hope you have done well with results today :smile:

Hey i was just wondering does it matter if you get a B in your written assignment in S5? would that affect your chances of getting into your desired in course in glasgow? For instance getting all B's throughout your reach programme. As long as you have passed the assignment would they disregard you if you had B's?
Original post by Lavender23
Hey i was just wondering does it matter if you get a B in your written assignment in S5? would that affect your chances of getting into your desired in course in glasgow? For instance getting all B's throughout your reach programme. As long as you have passed the assignment would they disregard you if you had B's?

As far as I am aware it is only your overall grades for Nat 5, Higher and Advanced Higher that are taken into consideration, not your achievement in individual parts of them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending