The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

I'd say about 50 on the day when I attended but you may not have a chance to see than all at the same time - people will be divided into groups and you will be given your indivdiual time table for the day on arrival.
Original post by QE5
How hard is the Fast Stream Assessment Centre itself and the exercises?

I actually found the interview and the written element of my group exercise pretty difficult. Time is a huge pressure though throughout the day which I think was true for most people.
Original post by QE5
How hard is the Fast Stream Assessment Centre itself and the exercises?

Just to echo what everyone else has said, it really depends; each task challenges different skills. Personally I felt most comfortable with the policy exercise and interview, as the policy exercise requires you to write a coherent and neutral assessment of both policies and then decide which one to recommend based on what you've covered, whereas the interview can be prepared for by listing examples to talk about.

The group exercise is harder to gauge as you have to contribute positively while also trying to get your policy through; I found this tough, as I was able to make a good contribution but unfortunately was unable to push my department's policies through. I'm not quite sure how they will view that.

I found the leadership exercise most difficult personally, as you're given only 30 minutes to read up on a fictitious project that you're going to manage, and then have to give a ten minute presentation and answer questions for around thirty minutes. The presentation part was okay, you just need to plan and structure it to last for close to the allotted time. What I found really difficult was answering the assessor's question, as I couldn't work out whether I was meant to be sticking to the existing project, changing it, or simply overseeing it, so my answers quickly became quite vague! If you feel comfortable jumping into new environments and make decisions with little information then I think this project is for you, if, however, you're like me and a bit more analytical, then it's quite tough as you don't have enough time or information to make informed decisions.

Like others have mentioned, use the FSAC guide as the basis of most prep, but also Google for other people's experience. To be honest though, there is very little you can do to prepare other than thinking of examples to match potential interview questions.

Just remember to remain positive and enthusiastic throughout the day, as it's very long and you'll be exhausted by the end of it.

Best of luck.
Reply 1383
Thanks everyone for answering my questions. Made a bit less nervous now.
Reply 1384
Has anyone who attended FSAC from the 4th of December onwards heard anything (good or bad) yet?
Original post by ProbablyNoGod
Just to echo what everyone else has said, it really depends; each task challenges different skills. Personally I felt most comfortable with the policy exercise and interview, as the policy exercise requires you to write a coherent and neutral assessment of both policies and then decide which one to recommend based on what you've covered, whereas the interview can be prepared for by listing examples to talk about.

The group exercise is harder to gauge as you have to contribute positively while also trying to get your policy through; I found this tough, as I was able to make a good contribution but unfortunately was unable to push my department's policies through. I'm not quite sure how they will view that.

I found the leadership exercise most difficult personally, as you're given only 30 minutes to read up on a fictitious project that you're going to manage, and then have to give a ten minute presentation and answer questions for around thirty minutes. The presentation part was okay, you just need to plan and structure it to last for close to the allotted time. What I found really difficult was answering the assessor's question, as I couldn't work out whether I was meant to be sticking to the existing project, changing it, or simply overseeing it, so my answers quickly became quite vague! If you feel comfortable jumping into new environments and make decisions with little information then I think this project is for you, if, however, you're like me and a bit more analytical, then it's quite tough as you don't have enough time or information to make informed decisions.

Like others have mentioned, use the FSAC guide as the basis of most prep, but also Google for other people's experience. To be honest though, there is very little you can do to prepare other than thinking of examples to match potential interview questions.

Just remember to remain positive and enthusiastic throughout the day, as it's very long and you'll be exhausted by the end of it.

Best of luck.

Thanks!!

For the interview, where you just asked the competencies that are in the FSAC guidance?
Original post by madl24903
Thanks!!

For the interview, where you just asked the competencies that are in the FSAC guidance?

Yup!
Original post by madl24903
Thanks!!

Yes although it's worth keeping in mind you may get asked extra questions that don't necessarily meet any of competencies depending on how the conversation flows.
Reply 1388
Hi all I wonder if anyone attending FSAC on 26th Jan. I am going for commercial. Do we get a mixed group I mean in terms of different departments ?
Hi - little late to the party but I completed my e-tray exercise last night and heard just now that I've been successful in that stage :smile:

I'm now 'awaiting invitation' for the FSAC - can someone tell me how long approximately I'll have to wait for an invitation? Thanks :smile:
Original post by dvnt
Has anyone who attended FSAC from the 4th of December onwards heard anything (good or bad) yet?

For all those of you still waiting for the outcome of your assessment centre, just to let you know that my son found out this morning that he had passed the GES FSAC which took place on 28th November. For those of you who had later dates, there is still plenty of time for good news. Good luck to you all.
I attended the AC on the 2nd and just heard back, pass :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone else!
I attended on the 4th of December and found out this morning I got through (GSS) ! It seems they released many results today... :smile:
Just found out that I passed the assessment centre!
Reply 1394
Congrats to everyone who has heard so far that they are through.

It's going to be a tense day
Reply 1395
Passed the FSAC, this is so ideal!
Does anyone have any idea about what happens after the FSAC for the Diplomatic Service- namely the Final Selection Board.
Hi

Are you all hearing back from assessment centres from over a week ago?

I wouldn't be expected to hear back from mine yet would I considering I only had it on then Friday that just went?

congrats to all of you who have passed!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tas321
Hi

Are you all hearing back from assessment centres from over a week ago?

I wouldn't be expected to hear back from mine yet would I considering I only had it on then Friday that just went?

congrats to all of you who have passed!

I think you can expect some news (at least the change of status from awaiting event to awaiting results which has been already a great thrill) after about 7 working days (they don't work on the weekends). Good luck!
Just heard back I passed FSAC, which I attended on 08 December.

Email came through at 08:20 this morning.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending