The Student Room Group

Should you work at uni?

Scroll to see replies

There are advantages and disadvantages.

I quite like my part time job. I'm still working there over the summer after having graduated and am going to transfer for my masters. Aside from the benefit of the money, it was kind of nice during uni to have time where I wasn't even thinking about uni, I met a lot of people I wouldn't usually have got to know otherwise, and it's actually really helped me gain a lot of skills. I think my job is what's helped me become more confident at working with people (more than uni did) and develop some real world work skills.

But it has sometimes been hard to juggle it with uni and other commitments, particularly when I had lots of deadlines at the same time. Having now had my final results, I do wonder how much of a difference it might have made if I hadn't worked this year at all. If I had a choice, I wouldn't work during my masters at all because I think there's too much of a risk that no matter how well you think you're doing with a job, that it's might still be having a massive impact.
I think it depends on the course you are doing, and the amount of hours. I plan on working at least 12 hours a week because I want to save up for a language course in the summer, there's no need for it to interfere with your studies if you're motivated, if you're lazy then I can imagine your Uni work will get the back of your priorities.
work hard play hard right?
I dont know. I had some pretty severe problems with depression in my first year of uni (I spent a week in bed. I wish I was lying)

Part of me thinks a job would have made me able to get up and have purpose so I wasnt sat in a stupor but I couldn't even be bothered to attend uni, it was just too much effort, so having a job would been impossible.

Now I'm doing another first year of uni, part of me wants to get a job because I want to do study abroad in my second year and it'd be nice to have money ready for that but at the same time I really dont want to risk me being stressed out with trying to do exams/deadlines around a job. (stress is a MAJOR trigger for my mental health issues)

I guess I'm going to have to see, but I dont see the point in risking my mental health and my degree (which I am determined to get a 1st on) just to have extra cash that I dont need.
I agree with what was said before that it depends on your degree, for some people it is possible and even a good thing but for degrees like mine with a lot of hours, I don't think it is a good idea.

I haven't got a job during my degree and I don't think I could, I'd just burn out. Plus I don't think I'd have the time. I do physics and I'm in uni every day of the week, usually for the vast majority of the day. Plus we need to do a lot of independent study, a lot of the content is hard to get initially so you need to go over your notes to understand. Even the days when I only have about 4 hours worth of lectures, these tend to be spread out throughout the day, for example I'll have an hour lecture then an hour gap then another lecture then a two hour gap then another lecture...ect. So even though I'm technically not in lectures all the time, I couldn't do a job in these gaps/ during the day.

I do know one person on my course who works quite a bit in a nightclub, we couldn't have a job during the day, he works several nights and from what I've seen it appears to impact negatively on his grades.

Fortunately I'm in the position where I get enough loan to cover everything I need so don't actually need to work for the money but I really respect everyone who manages to work alongside their degree, I just hope you all can manage it without it affecting your degree.
I worked in second and third year, less because I needed the money but more because I enjoyed my job and it gave me valuable work experience. As it turned out, I wouldn't have got my grad job if I hadn't worked, so it was well worth it in both the short and long term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending