The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Meh, it's almost certainly not worth buying it because you can get it out of the library for free. In addition, it's probably pretty useless for referencing apart from general definitions.
Reply 2
:ditto:
Reply 3
Okidokes, thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 4
For physical geography - our mani reccommended textbook is Global Geomorphology by Summerfield, although it doesn't have any climatic stuff in there. When you get to uni you will be told which books are imperative to your course, as well as which jouirnals you'll need to look at.
Reply 5
Our recommended Physical book was "Smithson, P., Addison, K. & Atkinson, K. (2002) Fundamentals of the Physical Environment"
However, I only ever really used it to define stuff.
Reply 6
Ooh, nicely referenced there Ali :p:
Reply 7
Just on a similar note..I've got a couple of prizes at my school's prizegiving. We have to get books, so I was thinking about getting human and physical geog dictionaries. Is it worth it or not really?...I don't really know what else to get!
Reply 8
nicko88
Just on a similar note..I've got a couple of prizes at my school's prizegiving. We have to get books, so I was thinking about getting human and physical geog dictionaries. Is it worth it or not really?...I don't really know what else to get!

I've got the Oxford Dictionaries of Geography and Earth Sciences (the Geography one covers both human and physical), and I've found them quite useful in defining some things which aren't clearly stated in the textbooks.
Reply 9
I C+Ped it from one of my fantastic essays on glaciers :p:
If you've got some spare money,by all means buy textbooks which will help in essays.
Reply 10
nicko88

I think my Geog dictionary is the book iv used most in my first year, so definately worth having in my opinion!
Reply 11
arkbar
I C+Ped it from one of my fantastic essays on glaciers :p:
If you've got some spare money,by all means buy textbooks which will help in essays.

Cheat! :p:
Reply 12
It's not cheating, it's the one reference I know almost by heart 'cos I used it in just about every physical essay.
Ps: My glacier essays need to be seen to be believed :biggrin:
Reply 13
arkbar
It's not cheating, it's the one reference I know almost by heart 'cos I used it in just about every physical essay.
Ps: My glacier essays need to be seen to be believed :biggrin:

I bet they do :p:
Reply 14
yes! I found my geog dictionary VERY useful last year...especially for essays when you're trying to define something.
Reply 15
Crisps
I've got the Oxford Dictionaries of Geography and Earth Sciences (the Geography one covers both human and physical), and I've found them quite useful in defining some things which aren't clearly stated in the textbooks.

Ooh those sound interesting! Can you give me the details of those please?
Reply 17
Elements
Ooh those sound interesting! Can you give me the details of those please?

Can't find them on the net (arkbar those links don't woprk)

I think you can download them as e-books from OUP though.
Reply 18
Thanksies. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending