The Student Room Group

Engineering to Investment banking tips

Hi everyone, I would like some advice on how to make it into IB from engineering. I have seen many posts from people saying that bankers like engineers, but I would like to hear from engineers that are in IB or anyone that knows some useful information. Please share some tips, and also please could someone let me know other routes into IB. For example if I cannot obtain an internship directly into IB next summer, would it be more beneficial to get a job as a consultant, a job in finance, a job in asset management... etc. ie what is the best alternative route into IB.
The same way that you get into IB from any other quantitative subject. Finance of some sort would be best internship-wise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pbsjohnz
Hi everyone, I would like some advice on how to make it into IB from engineering. I have seen many posts from people saying that bankers like engineers, but I would like to hear from engineers that are in IB or anyone that knows some useful information. Please share some tips, and also please could someone let me know other routes into IB. For example if I cannot obtain an internship directly into IB next summer, would it be more beneficial to get a job as a consultant, a job in finance, a job in asset management... etc. ie what is the best alternative route into IB.

1) Don't do ops or tech (if you actually want front office)

2) Follow finance news and read up. A friend of mine didn't go to class for 2 months just reading everything on investopedia. A common question - "How would you value a company?"

3) Be prepared to explain why you want investment banking and not engineering

4) Do internships

5) If you're a minority, apply through SEO. They help ALOT. And it's really unfair to the white people I feel.

P.S. Silicon valley and HFT programmers get paid more for less hours.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sadhukar

2) Follow finance news and read up. A friend of mine didn't go to class for 2 months just reading everything on investopedia. A common question - "How would you value a company?"

4) Do internships

5) If you're a minority, apply through SEO. They help ALOT. And it's really unfair to the white people I feel.

Just wanted to echo 5). People say there's no golden ticket to the industry whilst there actually is - it's SEO London.
Reply 4
Original post by sadhukar

4) Do internships

Thanks for the info. I have been reading up on investopedia for the past two months :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by IB_Guru
Just wanted to echo 5). People say there's no golden ticket to the industry whilst there actually is - it's SEO London.

So are u saying that, rather than applying directly to the different banks, It would be better to apply through SEO? Even though I am a British national but I am ethnically a minority.
Original post by pbsjohnz
So are u saying that, rather than applying directly to the different banks, It would be better to apply through SEO? Even though I am a British national but I am ethnically a minority.

Contact SEO and explain. They have a special IB Fast-Track Programme. You will still have to apply usually, but you highlight on the section on the application you are an SEO candidate and they put in a recommendation for you or get you an interview straight away.

The only requirement is being an ethnic minority; doesn't matter if you're British.

If you go on LinkedIn, see people who are part of SEO, see how well they've done, it's a golden ticket.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending