The Student Room Group

Experience at Tiffin Boys Sixth Form

(edited 7 years ago)
If you stay local that is two hours a day for private study saved. A no brainer to me.
Reply 2
(edited 7 years ago)
Put it this way: I know a guy who went there, goes to a top uni and has interned at multiple investment banks. It's a very good school, well worth it.

You'll realise later in life how much this will help you.

I commuted 45 minutes to my sixth form, just be organised and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by John ph
That's all very true.

Is it all down to the school though? If most of the guys who went there went to a worse school, I would think most would have done very well anyway as it's the person that really decides how well they do.
Tiffin has a collection of very high performing guys and only accepts them, so they would tend to do well even without help. What I mean by this is that I believe I can do well even if not there.

But what's the environment like, the people, the other opportunities that would make it worthwhile?

This is all true but speaking as someone from a bad state school, those top schools will help you in small ways that you won't necessarily realise at the time. At my state school for example, while I still got A*AA, we didn't have a lot of ECs/leadership opportunities (make a huge difference on uni and internship applications), not a huge amount of help with uni, not extra career guidance etc. Things like that make a difference.

I couldn't comment on that but if you PM me your name and FB/contact, I'll try get in touch with the guy I know and see if he's willing to have a quick chat with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by will2348
Put it this way: I know a guy who went there, goes to a top uni and has interned at multiple investment banks. It's a very good school, well worth it.

You'll realise later in life how much this will help you.

I commuted 45 minutes to my sixth form, just be organised and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't the fact that your friend went to a 'top uni' and is obviously capable enough reason for him to have been offered multiple internships?
Original post by Acidy
Isn't the fact that your friend went to a 'top uni' and is obviously capable enough reason for him to have been offered multiple internships?

His school definitely helped him because of alumni and even some boutique banks came and visit. Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part, once you've done that you're off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you have to pay to go to Tiffin Sixth Form? I'm going there and I was wondering whether there's like a tuition fee for it.
Original post by mathewchandy
Do you have to pay to go to Tiffin Sixth Form? I'm going there and I was wondering whether there's like a tuition fee for it.

You are going there and yet you do not know whether you have to pay or not...

It is a state grammar school, so there is no fee.
Does Tiffin do the EPQ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending