The Student Room Group

2017 vet med students

Scroll to see replies

Anyone up to much this half term? :smile:
Reply 681
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

Heading off tomorrow morning to Wales to do my first ever week of lambing!! Can't wait :h:
Original post by suofei
Heading off tomorrow morning to Wales to do my first ever week of lambing!! Can't wait :h:

Exciting stuff! You're going to love it :biggrin: Can't believe it's been two years since I first went lambing :moon: A three hour journey took 10 hours because of the floods :tongue:
I'm returning to the farm I went to last year. I was advised to get a boiler suit to wear over my clothes by the farmer. We stripped them off in an ante room to the farm and they went straight in the wash. It helped to cut down on infection risks and meant I could wear an extra layer of clothes.
Reply 684

Going to a large animal vets for two days :smile: ...and revision :frown:
I'm currently a year 13 student who didn't apply last year for vetmed due to my grades however have 20+ weeks of experience and I'm resitting many exams to hopefully apply this year with you guys. I was just wondering if there is anyone else in my position or if anyone else has been and if this changes the application process in any way? :smile:
Original post by Danielleegolds
I'm currently a year 13 student who didn't apply last year for vetmed due to my grades however have 20+ weeks of experience and I'm resitting many exams to hopefully apply this year with you guys. I was just wondering if there is anyone else in my position or if anyone else has been and if this changes the application process in any way? :smile:

Application process is exactly the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does that mean you're doing a third year at college/sixth form?
Original post by Lizziefickling
Application process is exactly the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Do you know if they might expect a little bit more work experience or any planned work experience during the gap year? I'm eager to do some more as it is very beneficial at the end of the day however just wondered if it is an unmentioned rule.
Original post by Louiseee_
Does that mean you're doing a third year at college/sixth form?

HI, no I plan on finishing all of my A levels this year, I'm not even sure that I can retake my A2 exams or not (as I'm not doing the linear A-levels) but I guess i'll just have to wait and see! :smile:
HI, no I plan on finishing all of my A levels this year, I'm not even sure that I can retake my A2 exams or not (as I'm not doing the linear A-levels) but I guess i'll just have to wait and see! :smile:

Then yes, it's the exact same :smile: it would be the same if you take three years to do A levels but you wouldn't be able to apply to Edinburgh or Cambridge.
Then yes, it's the exact same :smile: it would be the same if you take three years to do A levels but you wouldn't be able to apply to Edinburgh or Cambridge.

Okay phew that's good! Thankyou for the reassurance, luckily I'm not planning on applying to either of those anyway!
Thanks! Do you know if they might expect a little bit more work experience or any planned work experience during the gap year? I'm eager to do some more as it is very beneficial at the end of the day however just wondered if it is an unmentioned rule.

They will want to see how you spent your gap year, so doing work experience placements is a good idea. Bear in mind you'll be up against other gap year applicants who will spend the year getting work experience. It not a 'rule' as such but places such as Liverpool are big on work experience, and you need to ensure you've covered all areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Lizziefickling;63021469]They will want to see how you spent your gap year, so doing work experience placements is a good idea. Bear in mind you'll be up against other gap year applicants who will spend the year getting work experience. It not a 'rule' as such but places such as Liverpool are big on work experience, and you need to ensure you've covered all areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay well I'll make sure I get some more planned work experience for next year! I really want to go to somewhere like Africa or Romania but I tried to get in contact with a gap year company and they never replied :-(
Okay well I'll make sure I get some more planned work experience for next year! I really want to go to somewhere like Africa or Romania but I tried to get in contact with a gap year company and they never replied :-(

That's unfortunate, but don't worry too much! While these placements are really good experience (and they also sound like a lot of fun & you get to see different parts of the world) they're not the be all & end all; vet schools tend to prefer it if you've done voluntary ones such as getting covered in cow **** while milking or mopping up consult rooms :biggrin: I think Unis still count them but doing them doesn't put you above people who haven't, as many applicants cannot afford to do them :smile:
That's unfortunate, but don't worry too much! While these placements are really good experience (and they also sound like a lot of fun & you get to see different parts of the world) they're not the be all & end all; vet schools tend to prefer it if you've done voluntary ones such as getting covered in cow **** while milking or mopping up consult rooms :biggrin: I think Unis still count them but doing them doesn't put you above people who haven't, as many applicants cannot afford to do them :smile:

Yeah I'm putting it at low priority as it would wipe out all of my job savings so far and would be so far to travel on my own! I've done 3 weeks of work experience at Brighton's Sea life centre and have 3 weeks planned for Chessington Zoo this October as I won't be at college, I was just wondering if any Universities discredit exotic placements or limit the amount of weeks you can put forward? I know Liverpool will only count one week from each placement (please correct me if I'm wrong!) but I just wondered if other universities have a similar process?:h:
Yeah I'm putting it at low priority as it would wipe out all of my job savings so far and would be so far to travel on my own! I've done 3 weeks of work experience at Brighton's Sea life centre and have 3 weeks planned for Chessington Zoo this October as I won't be at college, I was just wondering if any Universities discredit exotic placements or limit the amount of weeks you can put forward? I know Liverpool will only count one week from each placement (please correct me if I'm wrong!) but I just wondered if other universities have a similar process?:h:

I think Liverpool count it as more than one (@littletailchaser @Lizziefickling I think one of you will know better than me :biggrin:) & none of them discredits exotic work experience- any experience is good experience! (Except the really bad ones :wink:). They don't dislike those placements as such, just that there are a set of unspoken 'compulsory/core' placements that they like you to do, such as dairy, lambing, kennels, stables etc. You can find more about this on each individual vet schools website or the veterinary medicine thread on here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Veterinary_Medicine
Spend as much time as you like working with exotics, but just remember that as a qualified vet you have to treat *all* domestic species, so try and get as much of a variety as possible before you apply :smile:
(Apologies if you're aware of this already and already have loads of farm/vet/smallies work experience! It's just difficult to tell what stage you're at WEX wise or how much you know about applying :biggrin: I don't mean to be patronising!)
I think Liverpool count it as more than one (@littletailchaser @Lizziefickling I think one of you will know better than me :biggrin:) & none of them discredits exotic work experience- any experience is good experience! (Except the really bad ones :wink:). They don't dislike those placements as such, just that there are a set of unspoken 'compulsory/core' placements that they like you to do, such as dairy, lambing, kennels, stables etc. You can find more about this on each individual vet schools website or the veterinary medicine thread on here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Veterinary_Medicine
Spend as much time as you like working with exotics, but just remember that as a qualified vet you have to treat *all* domestic species, so try and get as much of a variety as possible before you apply :smile:
(Apologies if you're aware of this already and already have loads of farm/vet/smallies work experience! It's just difficult to tell what stage you're at WEX wise or how much you know about applying :biggrin: I don't mean to be patronising!)

When I applied (back in the day 😂) we were allowed a max of 2 weeks exotic placement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As Lizzie and Louise have said, no universities discredit exotics work, however Liverpool limit the amount of time that each exotics placement can count for; to one week. I can't remember exactly how many 'alternative' placements we could put down, but I think it was four.

Original post by Lizziefickling
When I applied (back in the day 😂) we were allowed a max of 2 weeks exotic placement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As Lizzie and Louise have said, no universities discredit exotics work, however Liverpool limit the amount of time that each exotics placement can count for; to one week. I can't remember exactly how many 'alternative' placements we could put down, but I think it was four.

Thankyou all of you, this has helped me to decide which final fourth uni I want to apply to, as I feel that having 4 of my 6 weeks of exotic work not applicable really discourages me! Obviously the other work experience is more crucial but I would like most of it to count :smile: Is a week of dairy W.E.X essential in terms of applying to Bristol, as I thought it was however my friend applied to Bristol and hasn't heard back yet :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending