The Student Room Group

2017 vet med students

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know if a petting zoo (range of animals from sheep to rabbits) would count as alternative for Liverpool's Work Experience Questionnaire??
Original post by ellleanor
Does anybody know if a petting zoo (range of animals from sheep to rabbits) would count as alternative for Liverpool's Work Experience Questionnaire??

Best to put it as 'alternative' but don't worry too much about the classification of each placement
Original post by Danielleegolds
I'm applying for 3 D100's and 2 gateways, I'm tempted to only apply for the RVC gateway though as there is only 5 places on the Nottingham one so I would have to be very lucky. I'm not sure though as obviously it would be harder for me to get an offer If I apply with 4 vet med D100 courses!

I thought that the gateway programmes counted as a veterinary choice on UCAS? And we are only allowed to apply for 4 vet related courses?
Original post by ellleanor

Yes it would be alternative

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adam the vet
I thought that the gateway programmes counted as a veterinary choice on UCAS? And we are only allowed to apply for 4 vet related courses?

I thought that as well but apparently students have applied with that as their 5th choice in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Lizziefickling;67721734]I thought that as well but apparently students have applied with that as their 5th choice in the past
Posted from TSR Mobile

The RVC told us at our summer school that the gateway (the RVC one anyway) can be used as a 5th option, I'm not sure about the Nottingham one though :-)
The RVC told us at our summer school that the gateway (the RVC one anyway) can be used as a 5th option, I'm not sure about the Nottingham one though :-)

Omg that's great I've wanted to apply but didn't want to waste a direct D100 choice
Thankyou so much for your reply, I'm sorry mine is delayed I've had a few weeks of avoiding TSR so that I can try and accept my grades and do some WEX! I've decided to resit 8 exams which I'm confident could get me AAA as they are 8 manageable exams with some being AS unit 1s which i could easily do now as opposed to 2 years ago. I'm really motivated to do well and I want to resit as this is the last possible year for the specifications that I did.

I have spoken to Nottingham and RVC about how they view resits and as long as I get AAA with the other requirements they will consider me for 2017 entry. However, I'm confused as to how I let the universities know I'm doing resits as the only thing I can think of is changing my individual modules that I'm resitting to 'pending' on UCAS and writing in my A2 grades i got this year? It says the modules are optional though and so surely they might not even look at these? The only other thing I can think of is that it is mentioned in my reference, along with my extenuating circumstances. I'm also applying for both Nott and RVC gateways as I qualify for both and I have found this requirement:

You have studied only one period of Level 3, unless you are resitting that same qualification the following year.

Does this mean I am okay to apply as I'm resitting the following year of finishing my A-levels?

Due to reasons I am unable to ring Liverpool for a week now (this is what they said I should do in a response to the email I sent them about resits) but I was wondering if you know how Liverpool view resits, both AS/A2 and if they have to be done within the 2 year sitting? Any information would be greatly appreciated from anyone!

I'm so sorry for the essay, I always seem to have 20+ questions!

Sorry that I can't help with anything else, but I think I can help with the UCAS grades thing.
So I think you put down EVERY result you got, so you have to put down the grades you got that you're not happy with. Then you put the same subjects again with pending next to them to show you're resitting
Also, Surrey do accept resits. I applied two years ago and got an interview there :smile: the only ones that don't accept resits are Cambridge (kinda obvious) and Edinburgh. Resitting will not put you at any disadvantage and it's the best thing I ever did.
(edited 7 years ago)
I sent the UCAS form to my school! :biggrin:

Quick question; does Bristol have a w/e form? I found one, but I think the webpage was outdated and couldn't find it mentioned in the Bristol Admissions Statement
Original post by Ruineth

Quick question; does Bristol have a w/e form? I found one, but I think the webpage was outdated and couldn't find it mentioned in the Bristol Admissions Statement

They do, when I applied 3 years ago they sent it to you by email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruineth

Two years ago when I applied, the form was on their website but you didn't need to send it to them until two weeks prior to your interview. The form wasn't on a secure site or anything, but it was on a bit of a cumbersome page to find, so they gave a link to it when you were invited to interview. You probably found the right form, but you don't need to do it now and they might update it this year so don't do it yet.

Best of luck with your application :smile:
Original post by Lizziefickling
They do, when I applied 3 years ago they sent it to you by email

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Two years ago when I applied, the form was on their website but you didn't need to send it to them until two weeks prior to your interview. The form wasn't on a secure site or anything, but it was on a bit of a cumbersome page to find, so they gave a link to it when you were invited to interview. You probably found the right form, but you don't need to do it now and they might update it this year so don't do it yet.Best of luck with your application :smile:
Thank you both of you :biggrin: I'll just wait and see how it goes.
Reply 1132
On Liverpool's w/e form you can only put in 3 alternative husbandry placements - I have four and am struggling to decide which to put as my last two. I've decided to definitely put the wild bird sanctuary, as I did over 2 weeks there, but my final three are: 1 day at an abattoir, 1 day at a lab and 1 week at a pet shop. I feel like the abattoir and lab are more relevant, but the pet shop was longer and I know they rank you based on length? So which two do people think would be best?
Original post by nox1
On Liverpool's w/e form you can only put in 3 alternative husbandry placements - I have four and am struggling to decide which to put as my last two. I've decided to definitely put the wild bird sanctuary, as I did over 2 weeks there, but my final three are: 1 day at an abattoir, 1 day at a lab and 1 week at a pet shop. I feel like the abattoir and lab are more relevant, but the pet shop was longer and I know they rank you based on length? So which two do people think would be best?

Very tricky one :confused:

How are you doing otherwise in terms of no. of weeks? Does it still add it up for you at the end? Also, when I applied you could only count one week per placement of alternative work, has this changed?

If it's around 20+ I'd personally suggest the lab and the abattoir, if less than that then I'd do the abattoir and pet shop. That's a bit of an arbitrary number of weeks that I've used as the benchmark, though.

TBH Nox if you are having this struggle then I'm p. sure that work experience is not going to be an issue with your application :wink:
Reply 1134
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Very tricky one:confused:

How are you doing otherwise in terms of no. of weeks? Does it still add it up for you at the end? Also, when I applied you could only count one week per placement of alternative work, has this changed?

If it's around 20+ I'd personally suggest the lab and the abattoir, if less than that then I'd do the abattoir and pet shop. That's a bit of an arbitrary number of weeks that I've used as the benchmark, though.

TBH Nox if you are having this struggle then I'm p. sure that work experience is not going to be an issue with your application :wink:

Yeah it is :/
Yes they've changed that, there doesn't seem to be a cap, but there is a 4 week cap on vet placements.
I've counted that it would be approx 15 with the abattoir and lab, 16 with pet shop.
Hmm not sure haha, hopefully not, especially as someone I know got an interview there last year with only 9 or so weeks? :confused:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but can you submit the available work experience questionnaires before you submit your UCAS forms?
Original post by VittoriaAnna
I know this is probably a stupid question, but can you submit the available work experience questionnaires before you submit your UCAS forms?

You probably can but you're probably best off submitting your ucas first so they know who you are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone wanting to applying to Surrey or has applied last year ? I'm confused about uploading the work experience references to the portal as described in their application process guidelines.Where is the online portal ? it does not appear to be part of the UCAS application but suggests that they are done at the application stage.I know that they are going to send an online questionnaire out to be completed, but it is not clear that these are to be done at the same time.

I'd be grateful for some guidance
Hi guys,

Was reading your conversation about having gateway as a 5th choice. As Id be applying as a graduate, would I be able to put the RVC graduate course (D102) as a 5th choose on my UCAS form or would that still count as one of my four vet school D100 choices? Thank you :smile:
Original post by BioVet2
Hi guys,

Was reading your conversation about having gateway as a 5th choice. As Id be applying as a graduate, would I be able to put the RVC graduate course (D102) as a 5th choose on my UCAS form or would that still count as one of my four vet school D100 choices? Thank you :smile:

I would recommend contacting admissions to query it but I don't think you can. If you're unsuccessful in your D102 application then often they consider you for D100 anyway, so there wouldn't be much point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending