I think the majority do, but not all.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I thought all castle students have to share room for at least 1 term

NO!
That's what they want you to think.
They can oblige you to share, but that's just a get-out clause. If you start off in a single, they won't move you to a double unless you ask, or there are exceptional circumstances.
To be honest, if they put you in a double, most people stay in them, unless they have a real problem, as you'll be friends with all your neighbours, and it's also hassle to change.
Reply 22
i actually want to share!! what a weirdo i am! hope i can...
Reply 23
i want single room .... wahhhhhhhh
Reply 24
oh ya ...

what does it mean by "your university e-mail address" ? One of the tutor is department of physics actually ask me for this ...
mol345

Don't worry, you're not the only wierdo! ;hijf; :five:
Reply 26
if i'm staying for Christmas/ Easter vacation ... would I be staying the same room as before ? Or do I have to move to another room ?

How they decide whether you are sharing room or solo, apart from medical attention ?
Reply 27
Hi, i've had a single room for most of my life so do u think its better to go for a single ast castle...or will a shared room be more fun. I'm really touchy about people interfering with my stuff (quite private) but im undecided about the better choice for me. Any advifce?
if i'm staying for Christmas/ Easter vacation ... would I be staying the same room as before ? Or do I have to move to another room ?

Depends where you are. If in the Castle, then no, otherwise, probably.
EDIT: If in Castle you don't stay in the same room, sorry for the unclarity.
How they decide whether you are sharing room or solo, apart from medical attention ?

Luck.

Hi, i've had a single room for most of my life so do u think its better to go for a single ast castle...or will a shared room be more fun. I'm really touchy about people interfering with my stuff (quite private) but im undecided about the better choice for me. Any advifce?

Dunno, but it's pretty much random, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Sharing a room is pretty good actually, as it's fun to have someone to kick around with after a night out, or at the weekends, when not much is happening. I didn't have a problem with stuff-interference really, but it does mean you can share things etc. Swings and roundabouts really, if you've never shared it might be worth doing so to see if you like it, you can always move out after a term if you don't. I'd never shared before (well, since my 13 year old brother was a baby I've been in a single room) and I found it fine, and stayed all year.
Reply 29
psycho
oh ya ...

what does it mean by "your university e-mail address" ? One of the tutor is department of physics actually ask me for this ...

Go here: http://www.dur.ac.uk/directory/
and type in your surname. It'll tell you what your durham email address is going to be :smile:
Reply 30
surname ? can't I use first name ?

so, when are we going to have our university e-mail address ?
Reply 31
No, because that might confusion considering there are 10,000 people at Durham and more than a couple might be named "Richard" or something.
I think you'll be able to access University email when you get your ITS login.
your Durham email address will either be along the lines of
[email protected]
or
[email protected]
(there is a lecturer with the second name, but that's not his email address - I hope)
Either "dur" or "durham" should work, I think.
Reply 33
arkbar
I think you'll be able to access University email when you get your ITS login.

and when is that ??
Aceofspades2345 Quote:
Originally Posted by mol345

Don't worry, you're not the only wierdo!

I want to share!!! it sounds so much more fun and you have a person you can make friends with straightaway! let me share!
Heli Yov
I want to share!!! it sounds so much more fun and you have a person you can make friends with straightaway! let me share!

OK, I give you permission to share. I'll expect my cheque in the next couple of days.:smile:
Reply 36
Rach:)
Go here: http://www.dur.ac.uk/directory/
and type in your surname. It'll tell you what your durham email address is going to be :smile:

Any other freshers worried that their name isn't listed on there? Or am I the only one?
Reply 37
danfel
Any other freshers worried that their name isn't listed on there? Or am I the only one?

i'm not on there either, fear not!
We're not registered yet, so they won't have added us yet. I'm not on there. Well, not unless they think I'm a woman.:smile:
Reply 39
Weird, all last years freshers could get their email addresses at this time. Odd, but don't worry, they've obviously just changed it this year!:smile:

Latest