The Student Room Group

Advice for new Sixth Formers (Sept 2014)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prepdream
Is History difficult ?
Does anyone have any tips for this subject ?

History is harder than most other subjects as less people tend to get A*s an A's compare to other subjects. However don't let it deter you, history is fun just make sure you like writing. The exams are essay based but consequently reasonably easy to prepare for.

Tips:
1) Keep good notes it helps when you need to dig out the key dates and facts for the exam
2) Enjoy it, sounds stupid but it helps if you try and have fun while learning by watching documentaries in your spare time or finding funny facts if not it can be really boring in some peoples opions
3) Practice essay writing lodes throughout the year or else revision can be difficult when trying to increase your writing speed

Have fun with history, I really enjoy it and got an A at AS.
Good luck!
Hi there, not sure if people are still here to answer questions.

I'm currently doing Maths with Statistics, Computer Science, English Lit and Psychology for my AS levels. The only problem is, I had to swap one of my favourite subjects (Drama & Theatre Studies) to do this combination. I'm wondering now whether it was a good idea to swap out something I'm very passionate about, and whether I should see if I can take it as a fifth subject? I'm not very sociable anyway, so I'm not worried about the amount of work, and I know it's a very widespread combination - I enjoy all of them though.

Anyway, any help and advice is very much appreciated!
Original post by tryandfly
Hi there, not sure if people are still here to answer questions.

I'm currently doing Maths with Statistics, Computer Science, English Lit and Psychology for my AS levels. The only problem is, I had to swap one of my favourite subjects (Drama & Theatre Studies) to do this combination. I'm wondering now whether it was a good idea to swap out something I'm very passionate about, and whether I should see if I can take it as a fifth subject? I'm not very sociable anyway, so I'm not worried about the amount of work, and I know it's a very widespread combination - I enjoy all of them though.

Anyway, any help and advice is very much appreciated!

Interesting question, five subjects is not easy but possible and i have know people to do very well. It is an interesting combination so before I give you advice either way its worth asking how you did at GCSE in these subject areas and what to you want to do post sixth form.
Original post by Puffin Boffin
Interesting question, five subjects is not easy but possible and i have know people to do very well. It is an interesting combination so before I give you advice either way its worth asking how you did at GCSE in these subject areas and what to you want to do post sixth form.

I got A's in English Lit & Lang, A in Maths, didn't take Computing and got a B in Drama - though 60% of the Drama course is exams. Psychology is a new subject to me but I have experience with that - my brother had a brain tumour and I had to go on a couple of courses to understand what happened and what was going on with him.

I'm as of yet unsure of what I want to do, though programming is something I'm extremely interested in, and law sounds like something I'd do well in (I've had to help my mum with some court cases and it was an eye opener).

Sorry if that doesn't make too much sense.
Ok well what I would say is that the subjects you have chosen are all strong and drama does seem an odd choice since you want to study law/computing since both are highly competitive. The best advice I would give you is just do the four and leave drama, however I don't personally know you and if you do really want to do drama I would suggest you ak your teachers who can tell you weather they think you should do five, or talk to your drama teacher to see if you woul be suited to the A-level course.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Original post by Puffin Boffin
Ok well what I would say is that the subjects you have chosen are all strong and drama does seem an odd choice since you want to study law/computing since both are highly competitive. The best advice I would give you is just do the four and leave drama, however I don't personally know you and if you do really want to do drama I would suggest you ak your teachers who can tell you weather they think you should do five, or talk to your drama teacher to see if you woul be suited to the A-level course.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

No, don't worry about it! Drama's always been sort of a comfort subject as it's helped me through a lot of things - if it were easier to get into as a career then I'd be heading that way. I'll be meeting my new tutor tomorrow, so I'll talk to them about my subjects - as well as talking to one of the Drama teachers.

Thank you, it's nice hearing other people's opinions. c:
Any revision techniques you think would be especially helpful for psychology,economics and RE?
I got accepted into Nonsuch sixth form (grammar school) last week. But I hate it: the teachers are really uncooperative and most of the girls hire tutors as they don't learn anything in class.
Also, we did vectors in first physics lesson, I had no clue what to do, but the teacher refused to help as I need to 'learn it myself'.

Is this the attitude everywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by possum_box
I got accepted into Nonsuch sixth form (grammar school) last week. But I hate it: the teachers are really uncooperative and most of the girls hire tutors as they don't learn anything in class.
Also, we did vectors in first physics lesson, I had no clue what to do, but the teacher refused to help as I need to 'learn it myself'.

Is this the attitude everywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, well definitely not at my sixth form. We are encouraged to learn independently but if we are stuck any teacher in that department is usually willing to offer advice and help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending