The Student Room Group

A levell physics for AQA please help me

What is it in physics which makes it so difficult (i.e content,maths) and is it harder than chemistry?

and does it make life better if i picked AS level maths with my physics?

really need help in picking my A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raza10101
What is it in physics which makes it so difficult (i.e content,maths) and is it harder than chemistry?

I can't tell you about the difficulty as I'm just starting AS in September, but most people told me it's best to take Maths as well as Physics... It might be compulsory at my school (possibly) but I don't know if it's necessary :smile: what are you thinking of taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Sarah Bethany
I can't tell you about the difficulty as I'm just starting AS in September, but most people told me it's best to take Maths as well as Physics... It might be compulsory at my school (possibly) but I don't know if it's necessary :smile: what are you thinking of taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely going to take biology, chemistry, but dont know if i should do maths and physics, or even both....

Wbu? :P
Surely going to take biology, chemistry, but dont know if i should do maths and physics, or even both....

Wbu? :P

Don't you have to do 4 AS?
I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Don't you have to do 4 AS?
I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obvs im going to do four, i just dont know what my last 2 should be.
Obvs im going to do four, i just dont know what my last 2 should be.

Ah right, sorry, what are you choosing between? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Physics, maths, physcology or i.c.t

ive already taught myself all of A level chemistry at home for AS, and ive been getting B's for past papers : D

Btw, which subjects would you find more difficult, chemistry, maths or physics in order?
Reply 7
If you're fine with multiplying/adding/subtracting and substitution/rearranging (GCSE level stuff) the maths content won't bother you. There's also some memory based where you need to use very specific vocabulary and have a very good understanding of the content or you'll lose a lot of marks.

The ISA is also very different from GCSE

Personally I found it harder than chemistry because I was terrible at the mechanics unit

Hi I've just completed an AS in Edexcel Physics. What I found most difficult was the concepts, because I wasnt very good at Physics at GCSE. You get used to it though, and as you read more into it, your understand increases.
Physics, maths, physcology or i.c.t

ive already taught myself all of A level chemistry at home for AS, and ive been getting B's for past papers : D

Btw, which subjects would you find more difficult, chemistry, maths or physics in order?

My school doesn't offer psychology but I think it.would be really interesting!
Wow! Haha I haven't got any text books or anything yet because I don't know what school provides..
Erm, I'm not sure really.. Maths would probably be easiest as I did further maths last year, then I'm not sure between chemistry and physics... Chemistry might be slightly easier, but I can't say for definite yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TajwarC
If you're fine with multiplying/adding/subtracting and substitution/rearranging (GCSE level stuff) the maths content won't bother you. There's also some memory based where you need to use very specific vocabulary and have a very good understanding of the content or you'll lose a lot of marks.

The ISA is also very different from GCSE

Personally I found it harder than chemistry because I was terrible at the mechanics unit

You need mathematical capability in order to understand graphs and relationships...

You also start go into more detail in A2 such as natural logs etc. Therefore I would recommend taking A level maths as it will make your life a hell of a lot easier.
Original post by Incubator
You need mathematical capability in order to understand graphs and relationships...

You also start go into more detail in A2 such as natural logs etc. Therefore I would recommend taking A level maths as it will make your life a hell of a lot easier.

Yeah this is true. Forgot about the electricity section. But it is possible to do it without maths (although I don't see why people would). But yeah maths will make it easier especially if you're taking M1 with it
Original post by TajwarC
Yeah this is true. Forgot about the electricity section. But it is possible to do it without maths (although I don't see why people would). But yeah maths will make it easier especially if you're taking M1 with it

Tbh you don't need M1 for Physics, but you need Physics for M1!

Thats what I found anyway. Physics will help alot with M1! But M1 won't help as much for Physics unit 1, because you tend to learn M1 after C1 and C2 whereas you learn P1 as the first Unit in Physics :smile:
Reply 13

My school doesn't offer psychology but I think it.would be really interesting!
Wow! Haha I haven't got any text books or anything yet because I don't know what school provides..
Erm, I'm not sure really.. Maths would probably be easiest as I did further maths last year, then I'm not sure between chemistry and physics... Chemistry might be slightly easier, but I can't say for definite yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont understand why physcology is so interesting, you need to leaen so many case studies and be able to apply them to 12 mark questions in the exam where you have to recall loads of information. Personally i dont like physcology....
And any one know which module is hardest to easiest from c1, c2 and s1 maths for AS level and is any of it actually interesting??
I dont understand why physcology is so interesting, you need to leaen so many case studies and be able to apply them to 12 mark questions in the exam where you have to recall loads of information. Personally i dont like physcology....
And any one know which module is hardest to easiest from c1, c2 and s1 maths for AS level and is any of it actually interesting??

S1 is the easiest but most boring. C1 and C2 are probably the same tbh, because C2 is a bit more interesting I personally didn't find it too difficult compared with C1. C1 is just an extension of A* GCSE stuff
Original post by TajwarC
S1 is the easiest but most boring. C1 and C2 are probably the same tbh, because C2 is a bit more interesting I personally didn't find it too difficult compared with C1. C1 is just an extension of A* GCSE stuff

Agreed. Most sixth forms do M1 in A2 year because its quite difficult, but I did at AS. C1 should be a walk in the park, and somethings on C2 are abit challenging but nothing too hard. :smile:
Reply 16
Agreed. Most sixth forms do M1 in A2 year because its quite difficult, but I did at AS. C1 should be a walk in the park, and somethings on C2 are abit challenging but nothing too hard. :smile:

Is it true that m1 is mainly physics related?
Is it true that m1 is mainly physics related?

Yes. You get problems such as resolving forces acting at an angle on an object etc, you get taught newtons law (obviously), you get taught how to calculate momentum. But you may not cover momentum in Physics. I would recommend Maths and Physics. Maths will make your life soooo much easier, believe me

Spoiler

Reply 18
Yes. You get problems such as resolving forces acting at an angle on an object etc, you get taught newtons law (obviously), you get taught how to calculate momentum. But you may not cover momentum in Physics. I would recommend Maths and Physics. Maths will make your life soooo much easier, believe me

Spoiler

So said that should i pick maths biology chemistry and physics,

ive already covered all of AS level chemistry at home and Unit 1 for AS level biology, so if this is my current state, will i be able to hack physics and maths?

btw what a levels did you do?
So said that should i pick maths biology chemistry and physics,

ive already covered all of AS level chemistry at home and Unit 1 for AS level biology, so if this is my current state, will i be able to hack physics and maths?

btw what a levels did you do?

Yeah no problem. Hacking Physics takes longer than you think, if you weren't good at GCSE (which was my case).

Maths should only take you 2/3 months to learn it inside out. (Including M1)

I do a bit of a weird combo, Maths, Physics and Business studies :P

Quick Reply

Latest