The Student Room Group

PwC Screening

Hi all,

I am lucky enough to have received an offer with PwC this week for September of this year, so the start date is looming.

I have checked my app and have two variances relative to my certificates - I don't think they are big and they would have boosted my application (though they are not material in the least).

* Issue 1 is that in a third year of A-levels (which I did to get more subjects relevant to my degree, not resit anything), I took an A-level which I completed in the academic year (3 AS level exams in Jan and three A2 in June). I achieved an A in this A-Level subject and marked it on my application. What I forgot to put down, and what I can see on my AQA certificate is that I cashed in the AS award in that June with the A-Level. Thus, my application says, for that June, A2 in this subject at grade A but my certificate (and college) will read out A2 and AS at grade A for the same sitting date. I didn't have my certificate to hand (they were at my parents) and I didn't remember this because I did A-levels years ago (I am a mature applicant) and my CV does not mention this AS because the A2 supersedes it. I'm not sure I would have put it down if I did remember as the UCAS points calculator may have overstated my points for this subject.

* Issue 2. I have a GCSE in food tech. That option was not available in the drop down selection boxes so I selected food studies instead. When I did the application I wasn't thinking ahead to screening and it was easier than trying to put in a manual comment about an irrelevant subject I did more than ten years ago.

I wouldn't normally consider these items an issue but I have heard that PwC can be very, very precise on these things and use it against offer handlers if they want to reduce the numbers joining (but I'm not sure if it's true in practice). It's rather huge because I have another big four offer, with whom I have passed the education checks because they took my certificates at an earlier stage. I also have a counter offer of a promotion from my current employer. So the stakes, in turning down the counter offer and the other big four, are huge if I am to have issues in the next few weeks with PwC.

What do people advise in this case?
Reply 1
Original post by bgh764
Hi all,

I am lucky enough to have received an offer with PwC this week for September of this year, so the start date is looming.

I have checked my app and have two variances relative to my certificates - I don't think they are big and they would have boosted my application (though they are not material in the least).

* Issue 1 is that in a third year of A-levels (which I did to get more subjects relevant to my degree, not resit anything), I took an A-level which I completed in the academic year (3 AS level exams in Jan and three A2 in June). I achieved an A in this A-Level subject and marked it on my application. What I forgot to put down, and what I can see on my AQA certificate is that I cashed in the AS award in that June with the A-Level. Thus, my application says, for that June, A2 in this subject at grade A but my certificate (and college) will read out A2 and AS at grade A for the same sitting date. I didn't have my certificate to hand (they were at my parents) and I didn't remember this because I did A-levels years ago (I am a mature applicant) and my CV does not mention this AS because the A2 supersedes it. I'm not sure I would have put it down if I did remember as the UCAS points calculator may have overstated my points for this subject.

* Issue 2. I have a GCSE in food tech. That option was not available in the drop down selection boxes so I selected food studies instead. When I did the application I wasn't thinking ahead to screening and it was easier than trying to put in a manual comment about an irrelevant subject I did more than ten years ago.

I wouldn't normally consider these items an issue but I have heard that PwC can be very, very precise on these things and use it against offer handlers if they want to reduce the numbers joining (but I'm not sure if it's true in practice). It's rather huge because I have another big four offer, with whom I have passed the education checks because they took my certificates at an earlier stage. I also have a counter offer of a promotion from my current employer. So the stakes, in turning down the counter offer and the other big four, are huge if I am to have issues in the next few weeks with PwC.

What do people advise in this case?

Firstly good job on the multiple offers.

Regarding your actual question I really wouldn't worry about it, especially "issue" 2, as I did the same thing and passed my screening with no issues.

As for issue 1, again really does not sound like anything to stress over. Also PwC will contact with if there is an issue so you can easily explain it to them. You did not like about any of your actual marks so I really would not stress about it.

If you really feel like you want to explain it to PwC beforehand, you can email HCDirect and they will attach the relevant notes to your application. This way if they do spot any of these "issues" they might not even contact you as they will see the note anyway.

Whatever happens good luck, and hopefully (almost definitely if you accept the offer as the issues don't sound like anything major) I'll see you September :smile:
Reply 2
How do know whether your pre employment screening has been completed? :smile:
Reply 3
Indeed, how long does it take and do you receive notification when it's done?
Reply 4
You don't get a notification, no news is good news. However, for me I needed to know as I needed to hand in my notice to my employer at the time so I spoke to someone at HCdirect who checked for me.
Reply 5
Thanks for your responses MrR, you've been helpful.

See you in Sep :smile:
Reply 6
@bgh764 @MrRayman hi guys, I'm just about to apply for PWC. I was wondering if I could speak to you guys about the process or give you my email deets please! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending