The Student Room Group

Clearing or gap year?

A level results day is nearing and I have been adding up the pros and cons of different options if my results are not as expected. I am hoping to study law at the uni of nottingham but if I don't meet the high entry requirements i'll be gutted, as such would it be better to not go into clearing and go to a poorer university or should I take a gap year, get experience etc and reapply the next?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BRQ
A level results day is nearing and I have been adding up the pros and cons of different options if my results are not as expected. I am hoping to study law at the uni of nottingham but if I don't meet the high entry requirements i'll be gutted, as such would it be better to not go into clearing and go to a poorer university or should I take a gap year, get experience etc and reapply the next?

Only you can answer this - I'd recommend having a look at what is available in clearing, possibly even accepting offers through Clearing.

You can ALWAYS walk away and take a gap year but it is better to do this knowing all of your options than based on half the information. Plenty of people end up at universities on courses they love through clearing - and plenty end up rushing into a decision and regretting it.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Only you can answer this - I'd recommend having a look at what is available in clearing, possibly even accepting offers through Clearing.

You can ALWAYS walk away and take a gap year but it is better to do this knowing all of your options than based on half the information. Plenty of people end up at universities on courses they love through clearing - and plenty end up rushing into a decision and regretting it.

I guess you're right, thank you
Reply 3
I kind of feel the same, if I don't get into King's College/Southampton !!!! **** paying £9000 per year and end up at a **** non Russell group uni!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by miss_jj
if I don't get into King's College/Southampton !!!! **** paying £9000 per year and end up at a **** non Russell group uni!!!

wow, i don't want to live on this planet anymore
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by miss_jj
I kind of feel the same, if I don't get into King's College/Southampton !!!! **** paying £9000 per year and end up at a **** non Russell group uni!!!

Sorry, what exactly makes universities which aren't part of the Russell Group '****'? There are plenty good universities outside the RG which are performing very well at the moment, Bath, Surrey and Loughborough to name a few.

Please keep your arrogant and naive opinions to yourself, oh, and good luck at university. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
First of all, if your results aren't good enough for a top flight university this year, then they won't be good enough when you reapply either, unless you resit. However, in clearing, some universities may lower their requirements slightly. It's worth looking around and seeing what is available. Last year, lots of Russel group/top universities did enter clearing, but last year was unusual.

However, clearing can mean making decisions in a very short amount of time- most offers have to be accepted within 24 hours. It can also cause issues WRT student finance (e.g. if you want to apply for a higher loan rate as you are now going to London) and accommodation. Not all universities offer halls accommodation to clearing students, so you do need to think about whether this would be an issue or not.

It's probably best to see how you feel on results day. If you are very upset then you might not be in the best state to engage with the clearing process. On the other hand, you might feel desperate to go to uni this year.
Clearing has some good courses. It's such a bad name though :lol:

If it was me, I'd probably just do a BA in French and Russian at Bristol :awesome:
Reply 8
Awesome, Bath is a Russel group
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I shall cut to the chase and say GAP YEAR.... You can work, save up, get work experiece, try out new hobbies, resit any modules that went particulary s***, and apply again with a better chance of getting into the uni you want. Besides you'll be another year more mature, you'll have experience of the application and interview process... I dunno i just feel like every day we live is a chance to better ourselves.
Original post by miss_jj
Awesome, Bath is a Russel group

Errrrr, I think you'll find it isn't. It used to be in the 1994 Group.

If that's your counter-argument as to why any uni which isn't in the Russell Group is 'sh**' then you're just as much of a bigger idiot than I thought you originally were.

The writer of that article, Chris Giles, is clearly a snob (like yourself) and doesn't take into consideration the MANY non-RG universities which are very good (which I previously stated). You do realise a graduate from, let's say, Royal Holloway or Nottingham Trent stands as much of a good chance of finding a good career as much as somebody who has graduated from an RG uni. Admittedly Russell Group universities in general have a stronger reputation, but again, as I mentioned in my last post, there are around 8 non Russell Group universities in the top 20 alone.

Also, don't even bother calling me a hater of Russell Group because I have applied to one myself. I'm just clearly not as snobby as you are and take into consideration that the basis of the RG is clearly down to stronger research - it doesn't make you any better than any other student just because you attend one.

I'd find it quite funny if come results day you somehow don't manage to get into either King's or Southampton and end up looking at a non RG university yourself. Lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Pomum96
I shall cut to the chase and say GAP YEAR.... You can work, save up, get work experiece, try out new hobbies, resit any modules that went particulary s***, and apply again with a better chance of getting into the uni you want. Besides you'll be another year more mature, you'll have experience of the application and interview process... I dunno i just feel like every day we live is a chance to better ourselves.

This is exactly what I was thinking, thank you, I just hope results day doesn't go too badly for me to make any rash decisions
Original post by BRQ

From my experience, I had my heart set on a certain uni. I went through clearing to another russell group, and ended up taking a gap year anyway because I didn't like it. If you know you won't like it anywhere else but the place your heart is set on, don't waste time and do something valuable with your gap year.
Reply 15
if you have your heart set on Nottingham.. take a gap year and do resits
if you just want to study at a good university, look at the options available through clearing and make sure you look at their course structure

i took a gap year, and was very happy with my year

I also may be going to nottingham btw :smile:

good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by m7t4
if you have your heart set on Nottingham.. take a gap year and do resits
if you just want to study at a good university, look at the options available through clearing and make sure you look at their course structure

i took a gap year, and was very happy with my year

I also may be going to nottingham btw :smile:

good luck!

Wow that's really good! How was your gap year may I ask?
Reply 17
Original post by i-love-coffee
From my experience, I had my heart set on a certain uni. I went through clearing to another russell group, and ended up taking a gap year anyway because I didn't like it. If you know you won't like it anywhere else but the place your heart is set on, don't waste time and do something valuable with your gap year.

Thank you for the advice, this is exactly the kind of regret I want to avoid
Reply 18
Original post by trianglehate
If that's your counter-argument as to why any uni which isn't in the Russell Group is 'sh**' then you're just as much of a bigger idiot than I thought you originally were.

The writer of that article, Chris Giles, is clearly a snob (like yourself) and doesn't take into consideration the MANY non-RG universities which are very good (which I previously stated). You do realise a graduate from, let's say, Royal Holloway or Nottingham Trent stands as much of a good chance of finding a good career as much as somebody who has graduated from an RG uni. Admittedly Russell Group universities in general have a stronger reputation, but again, as I mentioned in my last post, there are around 8 non Russell Group universities in the top 20 alone.

Also, don't even bother calling me a hater of Russell Group because I have applied to one myself. I'm just clearly not as snobby as you are and take into consideration that the basis of the RG is clearly down to stronger research - it doesn't make you any better than any other student just because you attend one.

I'd find it quite funny if come results day you somehow don't manage to get into either King's or Southampton and end up looking at a non RG university yourself. Lol.

I'M HAPPY!!!!!! That exhilarating feeling of achieving my goals! !!! Got into KCL for Politics & International Relations! !!!!!!!! :tsr2:#exuberance:smile: I have a 99% better chance of prospering in life#high income:smile:))) sitting on my Throne of Pride and awwwww my favourite man Chris Giles politics student at Bristol uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ

Hi sorry I just had a quick question - I was browsing through the clearing options on the telegraph and saw the university of cambridge! Can you apply to cambridge through clearing, I didn't know that is it true???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending