The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
My mum's got a cookbook from Reader's Digest called "Amazing Meals for less than £2.50 a person". I'm gonna copy some of the recipes for when I go to Uni because a lot of it is very nice stuff.

Also, it's quite healthy too and has a wide range of things to cook, such as currys, stir frys, pot roasts, pasta, vegetables, the whole shebang really.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Main Course = Pasta b2b water.
Dessert = Pop tarts b2b milk.

Get used to it folks.
The usbourne simple cook book.

If you cant cook like me, it's very simple and has lots of pictures, so quite an easy one to use!
Reply 4
JoeFen
Main Course = Pasta b2b water.
Dessert = Pop tarts b2b milk.

Get used to it folks.

Yeah, I'm only going to be eating pasta and beans! lol
Reply 5
I really need to get some books, I got an A in food tech at GCSE, but i've been really lazy since then and haven't done much at all.

Ready meals here I come... :biggrin:
Reply 6
I just finally figured out how to make scrambled eggs using google. yum :wink: Now beans on toast, here I come! :biggrin:
Reply 7
over the last 6 years, my uncle and auntie opened a restaurant. so i have been working there and in the last 3 years i have been trainned up in the kitchen, and love cooking. so i really cant wait for uni. anyway, one thing that is a good idea is to buy a whole chicken. cut its breasts off use those for two sperate meals. you could make a curry out of one, or a stir fry or chicken in a cream sauce. etc etc. you can then use the wings for like sandwhiches and stuff like that. and then if you boil the carcus off and make like a stock, you can make a chicken soup. (lob in like sweetcorn, barley. etc etc) so out of one chicken. you got a few meals.
Reply 8
tk!
over the last 6 years, my uncle and auntie opened a restaurant. so i have been working there and in the last 3 years i have been trainned up in the kitchen, and love cooking. so i really cant wait for uni. anyway, one thing that is a good idea is to buy a whole chicken. cut its breasts off use those for two sperate meals. you could make a curry out of one, or a stir fry or chicken in a cream sauce. etc etc. you can then use the wings for like sandwhiches and stuff like that. and then if you boil the carcus off and make like a stock, you can make a chicken soup. (lob in like sweetcorn, barley. etc etc) so out of one chicken. you got a few meals.

Can I live with you?!
Reply 9
emj56
I just bought Beyond Baked Beans Budget and its a quality book from the quick scan Ive had so far, does anyone else have any recomendations or quick recipes?
Also what are the restraunts/cafes etc like on campus?

On campus they are not the best - it's mostly snack type stuff (although I've never been to Cartmel restaurant which is supposed to be really good). County South Diner and Take away is really cheap and very good (but they are independent so don't take the diner card). Spar sandwiches (from the counter at the back) are possibly the best thing in the world ever!!

However, the city is the best place for meals out. There are loads of student deal restaurants, all you can eat pizza hut!!!!!, two Weatherspoons and some actual nice (but reasonably priced) restaurants.

Get your parents to take you out for a pub/restaurant lunch (The Plough in Galgate is excellent!)on the day you arrive - don't worry about missing any first day stuff (it's good to take some time out early on!!)- plus it might be the best meal you have in A LONG time!
Yap, I guess now is the right time to learn boil eggs and stuff :biggrin:
Porridge!! Just learn to cook porridge!
Reply 12
Student Grub by Jan Arkless is meant to be good - I have it but haven't put it to the test yet - though my sister says its good. It teaches everything down to the lil' boiling an egg or making pasta to some complicated dishes... Oh and most are 'for one' plus it includes how to get ready from the beginning - so should be good!

here is a link btw with recommendation... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Grub-Jan-Arkless/dp/1899606149/ref=sr_11_1/202-7338845-2255826?ie=UTF8

Latest

Trending

Trending