The Student Room Group

Welcome to Plymouth Dental School - 2014

I would like to congratulate all applicants who have now been accepted to study Dentistry at Peninsula school of dentistry (Plymouth)

Some of you may have met me already in Jury's Inn during an interview day, I came in to give a brief speech.

I'm sure it has been a stressful 2 years of A-levels, but it all paid off in the end !

This thread will now be dedicated to helping you in the enrollment process, i.e, any questions you have about the year 1, or the course in general, or any procedures you must take before starting in September.

Also, you can use this thread to get to know who you will be studying alongside at Plymouth.

Having already finished year 1 at Plymouth, I know a lot about the course structure, and hopefully I will be able to answer all your questions, if you have any.

Happy holidays. (whatever is left of them) :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I would like to congratulate all applicants who have now been accepted to study Dentistry at Peninsula school of dentistry (Plymouth)

Some of you may have met me already in Jury's Inn during an interview day, I came in to give a brief speech.

I'm sure it has been a stressful 2 years of A-levels, but it all paid off in the end !

This thread will now be dedicated to helping you in the enrollment process, i.e, any questions you have about the year 1, or the course in general, or any procedures you must take before starting in September.

Also, you can use this thread to get to know who you will be studying alongside at Plymouth.

Having already finished year 1 at Plymouth, I know a lot about the course structure, and hopefully I will be able to answer all your questions, if you have any.

Happy holidays. (whatever is left of them) :smile:

How much practical experience do you get? AKA actually using your hands and doing procedures??
Do you feel its enough?
Reply 2
I've been confused for a while about this and getting mixed answers as well.

How much of the course is PBL?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alevelzzz
How much practical experience do you get? AKA actually using your hands and doing procedures??
Do you feel its enough?

Definitely enough. From week 1 you already start using phantom heads in SDLE. No time wasted, they get you trained up for clinic in february asap. There is even enough time to practice what you learn over and over again.

SDLE is twice a week, 9 to 4. with a one hour lunch break, and two 20 minute 'tea breaks' one before and one after lunch.
Original post by Blobar

PBLs are compulsory, but there are lectures as well if you wish to go to those too - this is from what i've read.
Definitely enough. From week 1 you already start using phantom heads in SDLE. No time wasted, they get you trained up for clinic in february asap. There is even enough time to practice what you learn over and over again.

SDLE is twice a week, 9 to 4. with a one hour lunch break, and two 20 minute 'tea breaks' one before and one after lunch.

That sounds quality!
Does anyone use loupes? My dentist advised me to get loupes as it really helps with your work etc
Original post by Blobar

None of it is PBL. It's EBL. Slightly different.

Let me explain the whole concept of EBL at Plymouth.

To begin with, your question of "how much of the course is EBL" doesn't make sense. The course is structures around EBL. How this works in Plymouth is, the year course is divided in to cases. Each case is 2 weeks long. A case is basically like a chapter in an A-level biology textbook, that's all. In these two weeks, we cover everything set by the professors for this case through lectures, labs, SDLE and workshops. At the start of the case, on a monday, we have an EBL session in small meeting rooms in our EBL groups. You are split up in to EBL groups for the course. For each group there is a professor who leads us by exposing us to what will be covered throughout the next two weeks. We then discuss what we think of the case briefly and what we will be taught etc, and he listens to make sure we are taking notes of the right things. It's kind of like a pre-lecture prep so we know what's coming in our lectures. At the end of week 1, we come together again on a friday and discuss half of what we have learnt that week with our group members, infront of the professor. This is basically so the professor is convinced that the students have learnt all there is to know. Week 2 is the same, but on monday this time around we discuss the remainder of what we have learnt. It's basically a friendly group discussion to be completely honest. The friday of week we finish discussing anything we have additionally learnt after monday in week 2, and we speak to our assigned professor 1 on 1 and he asks us basic questions on the case to see how we are doing. It isn't supposed to be intimidating at all, it's chill.
That sounds quality!
Does anyone use loupes? My dentist advised me to get loupes as it really helps with your work etc

I havent seen any students use loops, but some of the professors do.
I havent seen any students use loops, but some of the professors do.

I bet students would if they didn't look like such a waste if they did lololllllll
I bet students would if they didn't look like such a waste if they did lololllllll

It isn't about looking like a wasteman LOOOOL. It's more to do with how much they cost.

So wait, you're coming Plymouth this year ?
So wait, you're coming Plymouth this year ?

Nah applying next year:smile:
Nah applying next year:smile:

Good luck broski.
Reply 13
Good luck broski.

Thanks for your reply on my previous post. I'm coming to Plymouth in a month, it sounds pretty rigorous if you ask me lol but we shall see!
Original post by Blobar
Thanks for your reply on my previous post. I'm coming to Plymouth in a month, it sounds pretty rigorous if you ask me lol but we shall see!

Rigorous ? why so ? :P
Reply 15
Rigorous ? why so ? :P

When I first read it it looked like it was 4 meetings in 2 weeks but reading again it's just weekly meetings right? In that case it doesn't seem so bad. :smile:
Original post by Blobar
When I first read it it looked like it was 4 meetings in 2 weeks but reading again it's just weekly meetings right? In that case it doesn't seem so bad. :smile:

It's not meetings LOOL. It's group work in a small meeting room xD
Original post by Blobar

think of it this way, you going with a group of mates to study in the library and you all test eachother, that's all :P But you do it in front of your designated professor.
Reply 18
think of it this way, you going with a group of mates to study in the library and you all test eachother, that's all :P But you do it in front of your designated professor.

Aha you know what I meant when I said meetings surely :wink:.

Doesn't sound bad at all really :P.
Reply 19

What is our timetable like? Every weekday 9-4/5 I presume?

Quick Reply

Latest