The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Got offers from, Birmingham, Keele, Derby and Brighton and an interview for Royal Holloway for geology and geography. I'm still however debating whether or not to go, since its neither my first or insurance choice, and it's pretty far from me!
Glad the interview's over... now for the wait!

Original post by lukemags
X

Original post by RSS_100
X

How did you two find it?
Original post by Chlorophile
Glad the interview's over... now for the wait!

How did the interview go?
Royal Holloway have given me an unconditional offer for geology! :-)
Original post by сталкер
How did the interview go?

I obviously can't judge until I get the result but I think it went alright! Obviously I'm not allowed to go into detail but about half of the interview was about my and my interests and the other half was sort of a discussion about geoscience-related things. I didn't get any technical questions but apparently they normally give them to geophysics applicants (not sure about geology).

Original post by supervolcano
Royal Holloway have given me an unconditional offer for geology! :-)

Well done! You're not post A2, are you?
Reply 185
How did you two find it?

Thought it went quite well, much more informal than I thought it would be. Just have to wait and see what happens now though!
Original post by RSS_100
How did you two find it?

Thought it went quite well, much more informal than I thought it would be. Just have to wait and see what happens now though!

Definitely agree that it was more informal than I expected!
Original post by Adikurdyla
Got offers from, Birmingham, Keele, Derby and Brighton and an interview for Royal Holloway for geology and geography. I'm still however debating whether or not to go, since its neither my first or insurance choice, and it's pretty far from me!

Congratulations! I didn't know Royal Holloway did interviews (I have applied for Geology+Geography too). Yesterday they sent me confirmation that the application has been sent- how long did it take them to offer you a place?
Mind I ask, what grades did you get? :biggrin: cheers, and congratulations again.
Original post by Citipati
Congratulations! I didn't know Royal Holloway did interviews (I have applied for Geology+Geography too). Yesterday they sent me confirmation that the application has been sent- how long did it take them to offer you a place?
Mind I ask, what grades did you get? :biggrin: cheers, and congratulations again.

Thank you! Neither did I? I saw on a connect page people got offers without interviews so i'm not sure if it's everyone? :confused: I sent my application on 17th October, then got an email saying they received my application on the 23rd and on the 4th November got one inviting me to an interview at an applicant open day. I haven't got offered a place, just an interview in February which seems so far away :s-smilie: At AS i got ABC and predicted ABB :smile:
Original post by Adikurdyla
Thank you! Neither did I? I saw on a connect page people got offers without interviews so i'm not sure if it's everyone? :confused: I sent my application on 17th October, then got an email saying they received my application on the 23rd and on the 4th November got one inviting me to an interview at an applicant open day. I haven't got offered a place, just an interview in February which seems so far away :s-smilie: At AS i got ABC and predicted ABB :smile:

Cheers! They Even wrote offering a place might take four weeks.
I am quite worried because of the interview- it just means more travel- and I have almost four hours of road to London (and fuel plus time ain't so cheap).
I exceed their entry level (with AAB), but I realised I have a small grammar mistake (I said an instead of an a, and to insead of of). I do hope those little things won't irk them to levels of not giving me a place (I am not bad with grammar, I just slipped... Twice) uh oh, I worry too much.
I just received this from Royal Holloway:

'Thank you for your application to study in the Department of Earth Sciences at Royal Holloway.

I would like to invite you to an interview at one of our Applicant Visit Days where you will be able to obtain more information about our programmes and university life. Performance at interview may be taken into consideration should you miss the conditions of your offer'

I am a bit confused, is this an interview or an open day?? Wow, i feel better now that they have sent me this!
Original post by Imranfr0
I just received this from Royal Holloway:

'Thank you for your application to study in the Department of Earth Sciences at Royal Holloway.

I would like to invite you to an interview at one of our Applicant Visit Days where you will be able to obtain more information about our programmes and university life. Performance at interview may be taken into consideration should you miss the conditions of your offer'

I am a bit confused, is this an interview or an open day?? Wow, i feel better now that they have sent me this!

It's probably going to be an informal interview. There will be a general programme, probably involving a tour of the campus, lunch and maybe a tour of accommodation and a few talks and there'll probably be a shortish interview with some of the academic staff. I don't know anything about RHUL's visit days but that's what visit days are generally like. It should all be pretty relaxed and informal. Well done!
It's probably going to be an informal interview. There will be a general programme, probably involving a tour of the campus, lunch and maybe a tour of accommodation and a few talks and there'll probably be a shortish interview with some of the academic staff. I don't know anything about RHUL's visit days but that's what visit days are generally like. It should all be pretty relaxed and informal. Well done!

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Citipati
Cheers! They Even wrote offering a place might take four weeks.
I am quite worried because of the interview- it just means more travel- and I have almost four hours of road to London (and fuel plus time ain't so cheap).
I exceed their entry level (with AAB), but I realised I have a small grammar mistake (I said an instead of an a, and to insead of of). I do hope those little things won't irk them to levels of not giving me a place (I am not bad with grammar, I just slipped... Twice) uh oh, I worry too much.

Same as me, its just over 5 hours train travel, so quite a lot to say it's neither my firm nor insurance. Ah that's so good! Good luck with everything! I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have a significant effect? I can't imagine it having an impact :confused: I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Definitely agree that it was more informal than I expected!

Same for me, found it much more chilled than I expected. Thought this guy was gonna grill my physics knowledge. No real idea how it went though until I find out tho.
Also, I have an offer from Durham to study Geophysics with Geology, i'm well happy!
Original post by lukemags
Also, I have an offer from Durham to study Geophysics with Geology, i'm well happy!

Well done! Durham looks great but it's a bit too far for me. Do they interview?
When going to interviews can you go with parents?
Original post by Jords13
When going to interviews can you go with parents?

Which interviews? At least at Imperial, I'd say at least half of people took their parents with.
Which interviews? At least at Imperial, I'd say at least half of people took their parents with.

I think it was more than half at Imperial! It was ok though because they sort of expected it and there was things organised for parents when we had our interviews going on. I am taking my dad with me to Southampton on Wednesday because otherwise I have no way of getting down there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending